Item Creation - Weapons and Armour

Curious as to if there is ever going to be a system where you can smith your own weapons and armour from mob drops and mining resources such as metal and world boss drops to create low-high tier armour and weapons that you can then sell and trade to others?

PS; I appreciate your british spelling of armour.

1 Like

This is the type of thing i was imagining when i was thinking about it. ^^

R.I.P

2 Likes

This is kinda cool, but it doesn’t effect combat with PvE at all which was what i was curious about. Also is this in the game currently?

It was an idea that got scrapped I believe or postponed.

I actually still want to make the system in that video but it wouldn’t be for weapons/armor. At least not for the current slots.

I think the problem in MMOs with craftable armor/weapons is that you run into a conflict where it’s impossible to make the crafted stuff as good as the drops from the bosses, because it’s impossible to make the difficulty of the crafting equivalent to the difficulty of the combat content. So basically either the crafted or combat stuff ends up useless because it’s easier to just do the other thing.

That’s why thus far we’ve been careful to make sure anything crafted in the game (like Potions) occupies a different “slot” than anything from a drop. So I could see us doing Player craftable stuff as either enhancements to existing weapons, or maybe use that for the wrist slot, etc.

The original idea from that video that I’d still like to do is having like a “tinkerer” class that makes little toys, mechanical traps, stuff like that.

4 Likes

Would be cool if they put in something along these lines, and also other things that you could do to your home to make if feel like your home and not one that everyone else has. So you can be original with it. Maybe being able to re arrange where things are placed also?

Would there ever be a system where you could take it to a smith and get things like weapons sharpened so they do like 15% extra damage to mobs for like 45 mins? This might make tackling high level mobs more in your favour. Though this might make things too easy so maybe make it cost a certain amount or require a certain item to do it?

I was thinking you would “break down” the gear you get from the bosses (Like your rerolling stats system) and craft better gear.

But also require bonus rare materials so you have to earn these upgraded items?

This could also be an adaptation of - Tom Clancy’s The Division Calibration station?

As I said, I think some sort of item enhancement system could make sense long-term, we’ve already gone down that path to some degree with the Runesmith system. Whether that’s sharpening, or involves breaking down items, or whatnot, I dunno at this point. But we’ll continue to explore more player interactions in the future for sure.

1 Like

What about something like getting rare materials from bosses? If you can get enough of them, you can create a stronger equipment than the available drop from that level of boss. This could be stupid, but I think that would be awesome :smiley:

3 Likes

What happened with this music :frowning:

Yeah, I have faith in the dev’s vision, but I would also like to see a system where you could craft gear that is maybe 85% as good as the mob dropped stuff (but is more customizable) with standard materials, but then you could craft items that were 100% or even higher by using a combination of rare mob drop materials, harvestables, alchemy, etc, etc.

I would personally love a bit more complex weapon/armour crafting system, and if materials from bosses would be needed, that would prevent players from stop doing dungeons :slight_smile: Also if you want to save some effort with these materials, you could say, that all the bosses have a chance to drop a single type of ore, but the purity of it depends on the shard level, and the created equipment’s stats would be affected by the purity :smiley: Or something like this :slight_smile:

I’ve always been looking for MMORPGs with a more complex crafting system that would give potentially more option to players :smiley:

2 Likes

There could be mixed type of gear. We can keep Chest, Helm, Gloves, Shoulder be dungeon boss drops. Then we can have one craftable ring and one for world boss (It is a bit weird wearing two of the same boss ring, with the diff being because affix doesn’t stack). The craftable ring could be gathered with different items, from the world or bosses, and is able to be more modified based on the items that go into crafting it.

Then we have wrist. This could be…

I was really looking forward to a gear crafting system. That is a shame we won’t be getting one. As a solo player I hate the idea that gear only comes from group activities.

if you have a change of mind, I personally would love to see the following system.

Materials

• Rare items from mobs
  • Common items from mobs
  • Common/Rare items from pickaxe
  • Exclusive dungeon drops

Crafting

• Lower levels has chance to produce broken item
  • Crafting 10 or more of the same item makes you a expert, resulting in higher level item with better stats. (Green vs Blue kinda thing)
  • Expert crafters use less materials since they are more skilled

Item Levels/Quality

• Better than regular mob drops
    - ideally this solves two problems.
    - mats are rarer requiring more farming to produce item
    - If you are unlucky in drops you can craft the item you need
  • Raids still produce highest level gear , so crafting is one step below but makes you at least competitive.
  • Dungeon items could be upgraded by high level crafter?

Process

• Similar to your existing crafts, have a work bench area where you make the hilt, forge the blade etc then combine.
  • Have a timer so only so many items can be crafted per day
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.