January Stress Test Feedback

Awesome work, Riley and crew! This is gonna be a blast! Thank you for the chance to play!

Great work guys! That was a huge improvement from the last test. Wish I could of played longer than 2 hours.

i downloading the last 0.52

The boss puts out a constant AoE damage currently, since itā€™s not tuned for having a tank yet. Glad to hear that 0.52 helped ā€“ did it crash at all for you? Or just crash less?

I had only one crash, but I think it was because of the server last reset/crash. Luckily I got to showcase all classes to my wife and she insists that I should buy the game xD

Riley_D, are you silverlight in reddit? If so I left a question on your post regarding an alternative locomotion system.

Bummer that you can only speak thriceā€¦

It crashed less. Only 1 crash in about an hour of play, as opposed to a crash every 10 mins or so.

I was on the 0.52 for about 30-40 minutes, and experienced two crashes in a row when about 15 of us were grouped up heading toward the boss.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8JXc0cWcUGtR3ZTLVhCclBBck0 Here are the crash logs.

I was playing all day and I loved it. It got significantly more stable as time went on with less crashes and less disconnects. One issue that popped up at the end when we wiped on the boss is, when I came back the boss was still there at the same hp and the adds were frozen, it looked like they had been stopped but not deleted when the fight reset. The boss then spawned again and was overtop of the previous one. Other than that every bug I saw was fixed before the end of the day, this game has a lot of potential and Iā€™d love to see it get all the way through development! :slight_smile:

Oh, interestingā€¦okay. I hadnā€™t actually seen those crash.log parts yet. Iā€™ll send those off to Unity since it seems like it was just the NVidia driver crashing and I doubt anything Iā€™m doing is causing thatā€¦

Video from the tank perspective:

1 Like

Once again, this game was very fun. Too bad it had to end so soon. I am looking forward to any upcoming tests, and the Alpha.

I had a fun time with all of the classes, except the Runemage. For some reason I couldnā€™t get any spell to work reliably. I had the most luck with a tornado/lightning shaped scribble, which would cast either frostbolt or arcane bolt. Iā€™m wondering if using the wand left-handed may have been causing some issues.

The Runemage also needs a spellbook item that can show them the gestures needed to cast their spells. It would work best if the spells were added to the spellbook after the first successful casting of the spell. The spellbook could be on the Runemages belt below their off-hand/secondary hand.

2 Likes

Hey the stress test was fun, with a lot of potential.

One thing I thought was that the spellcasting may get quite tedious very quickly. I was thinking it may be good to have a simple attack spell bound to just the trigger button, something people can cast like an auto-attack in a normal mmo, and possibly allow switching of the simple attack with a gesture. You should leave the more complicated 2 stroke + gestures to the more powerful spells, things you may only use once or twice for your average mob that you grind against.

1 Like

Yeah, and adding a cooldown on those spells or a ā€œmanaā€ depletion model to limit their use. Thatā€™s a great idea.

Since i know that you are probably aware of the crashing issues i want to give feedback on the locomotion.
I think the trackpad locomotion outside of combat could be a bit faster so it is on par with teleport spamming.
Also maybe allowing trackpad locomotion in combat, limited to small bursts of movement.

Hmm, Noticed the comment earlier about only sending the 50 objects to client and it got me thinking about how I would program that myselfā€¦ (not that I have written anything related to mmoā€™s before)

Prioritize list based on

1. MOBā€™s attacking me/MOBā€™s I am attacking Sorted by DPS inflicted factor
  2. Players Also interacting with MOBā€™s in 1, Sorted by Combo of Range/DPS
  3. General Data by Distance Ranges < 5ft (Players, Loot, non-interating mobā€™s, NPCā€™s, Other enviroment stuff?)
  4. General Data by Distance Ranges < 10ft
  5. ā€¦

Then it got me thinking about how I would optimize the server side calcs, and it seems like something that could be optimized by various data structures and GPU programming (opencl/cuda) for mass calcā€¦

1. update X,Y,Z position data
  2. rough range calcs (flat x,y,z math) +/- 33% ranges are good enough for selecting player ranges, client side would use full accuracyā€¦
  3. Sort/Select list of data to send to active playersā€¦ (fit within a tcp packet?)

Thatā€™s how locomotion is designed at the moment. You can only teleport in combat. There is a menu item that will release you from being stuck in combat. No need to reboot/die.

I encountered the no hands bug as well. downloading the .30 build fixed that for me.

The zone transition portals need to be teleported through at the moment. Donā€™t think walking through them is in.

auto attacking sounds more tedious to me. autoattack goes against the principals of what differentiates VR from normal games. if i wanted to press a button to attack id go play a normal game

Iā€™m very sorry that I was not able to contribute to the discussion last night. A friend had pointed the test out to me last minute, so I didnā€™t have a tremendous time to prep for serious testing. I wasnā€™t able to log in until around 8pm CST last night so I did not have extensive time, but I did notice a few things. These are not necessarily stress test related, but just things i saw.

• Switching back and forth between menu option items (Locomotion types for example) seemed to alter the option text. So going back and forth from ā€œTrackpadā€ to ā€œTeleportā€ turned them into ā€œkpadā€ and ā€œeportā€ at one point. Almost as though switching was deleting the characters in the text.

• Mobā€™s need to lose aggro upon your death. The bad guys seem very tenacious and I was able to drag one of the ghosts from down below back to respawn on accident more then once.

• May need to check the terrain calculation in a few areas. Warping down the first set of stairs you can get stuck on the right hand side of the area just outside the stairs and have to backtrack back to the staircase and walk around to the left to clear it, on seemingly passable terrain.

There may have been a few other things that I had jotted down, but I left my notes at home. All in all, youā€™ve got an amazing start on a project with alot of promise. I will be following from now on with great interest.

Happy hunting,

Ryan

Just wanted to pop in here and say that although thereā€™s too much going on for me to have time to comment on each post in detail, I am reading everyoneā€™s feedback with great interest. Thanks for your suggestions and help with tracking down the bugs yesterday!

1 Like

I played the stress test a few hours yesterday and I had a lot of fun and look forward to the future development of this game.

To help with any development, here are the bugs/issues I experienced.

• Loss of connection in highly populated areas.
  • Trying to cast spells as mage was rather frustrating. I had the images open up in steam overlay and I would have a rather high failure rate of casting.

A big problem I noticed as melee was it was really hard to tell if my attack was doing damage, especially if there was another person attacking at the same time. IMO there needs to be more feedback on if my attacks are effective. Even if not visual, the controller giving some haptic feedback on an effective hit would go a long way. Maybe something like no rumble if no damage is done, a little vibration on a ā€œglancing blowā€ (if such things are in the game), and a full rumble on a solid, damaging hit. After all, if I smack something with a sword iā€™m gonna feel it in my hand and arm.

Also I found it difficult to realize I was taking damage. Iā€™d be fighting one moment and suddenly back in town and itā€™d take me a moment to realize I died. Itā€™s possible I was missing something, but I felt like I was receiving no information from the game about the damage I was taking.