Lack of tutorials to get started in the beginning

Having played about 3 hours now, I have never been shown how to properly swing my sword as a warrior. It seems everyone is dishing out a lot more damage than I am, and taking down just one of these tree monsters in the beginning quests is proving very difficult. I am also unable to find any fishing holes, mining etc. to test the skills. The games got a lot of potential but you need to be able to take a newb like myself who hasn’t played games in a while to the point where they can have the basic skills to get along by themselves. I feel like giving up because I just don’t know how to play properly.

Ask people around you! Also turn your compass upside-down and go to the warier page. You have comboes. They do a lot more damage.

While it doesnt explain the warrior combos there is Randel that you can speak with near the Highsteppe main gate that explains harvesting, the mission NPCs in highsteppe and potion making.

As for other tutorials was there anything else besides what you have posted above that you felt we needed to do a better job of explaining?

I think until a certain level there just needs to be a lot more hinting and hand holding going on. Like for example if I was on my first quest and using the weapon for the first time it would be good to see some advice being offered to me “in the moment” of battle, such as a shadow of the combos I should be doing, or at least where the dummies are to practice there should be some kind of trainer that is showing you how to swing the sword and use the weapons.

You could say that my experience might be just related to me, but I doubt it is and if the game wants to appeal to the masses, as I said it needs to playable by complete newbies like myself. I know the beginning was intended to be basic but in my opinion the it’s still far too advanced and there should be a training ground you have to graduate the first level of every skill and demonstrate them before entering the larger world/game. Right now it’s just feeling like you need instructions to even access the instructions when it should be “in your face obvious”.

But trust me if I was better at playing this game and didn’t feel so blind I would not have an issue paying for this game, it’s obviously got some concepts that have been ported to VR extremely well it just needs some fine tuning to get players into the game without too much hassles. I look forward to seeing more.

(Okay, that was longer than I expected. Summary: move the tutorial info to a format which remains accessible by players at any time - menu or journal)

Part of the problem with a long, detailed tutorial is that some people won’t read it initially, and the info is lost once the tutorial is completed.

What about a more on-demand tutorial system, which allows the player to find out info about the world or a class at their own pace, not necessarily have it pushed into their faces at predetermined times?

If you added a copy of all the animated diagrams, tutorial info, and class-specific intros either to the journal or a tab in the menu (like a help section), players could access it at anytime. I know some of this info is in the journal, but I also know a lot of players don’t realize that info is there until someone points it out to them.

To me, the menu idea seems the most new-player friendly. Everyone learns very quickly how to open the menu and a giant “?” icon is pretty self-explanatory. You could also use tabs, similar to the activities menu to organize the information and minimize flipping through 30 million journal pages.

For instance (I can’t remember how much of this is already in the journal…),

• Basic diagrams for interacting with the world (how to talk to NPCs, what the symbols over different NPCs heads mean, how to open doors, how to use tools, etc.)
  • How quests and reputation work from different vendors, etc.
  • Warrior: describe the combos, but also what the shields mean, a diagram of what the symbols on the shield mean, etc.
  • Archer: describe the special arrows, and a diagram of what the symbols next to the bow grip mean (I literally made it to lvl 10 on this class without learning this in regular Orbus), etc.
  • Any information about a subject for which a new player might say, “how do I do/play X?”

The only thing you’d have to do is be really obvious about telling people how to access the information - probably by saying it multiple times…

A system like this would allow people to spend as much or as little time receiving tutorial info as they want.

I’ll be honest - I have a friend who I know will love the game once she tries it. I’m planning to be there every step of the tutorial to help out because I want her to not get discouraged by the steep learning curve in the beginning. I had trouble with the “tutorial” at the beginning of Reborn - I didn’t realize I had a quest in my journal to follow until almost lvl 5 on my alt class.

1 Like

Was the animated thing that did pop up the first time you drew out your sword helpful at all? I agree that we need to make it more accessible after that first time, but just wondering if it actually got across any information.

I think warrior is not the most intuitive class to start of with as first class for beginners. More something like scoundrel, ranger or musky with orbs/special arrows already equipped would make sense for me. :man_shrugging:. Mainly because of the combo’s which is not an intuitive thing. But shooting an arrow or gun is. So maybe change the starting class for someone logged in for the first time be one of those classes instead?

I think the game would be better off with a mechanic for training combat.

A repeatable ‘quest’ for every class that starts with an option for method, something like “Do you feel you have a good grasp on your class?” “Yes (Quest Ends, some xp given, move on with your life)” / “A little (Quest directs you to perform certain attacks on combat dummy but doesn’t give specific direction how to do it. Like ‘shoot with poison orb’ or ‘hit a 2nd level curve shot’ or ‘wound attack’)” / "Not at all, please guide me! (Quest teleports you to a personal instance with combat dummies and provides specific instructions for the class, has you do all of them) would be nice!

2 Likes

Astropos this is what I was trying to get at. Something like this in the first instance would provide players with the confidence they needed once the real game starts. Apart from Nvidia funhouse Orbus was the first game I played. I didn’t even know there were buttons on the sides of the controllers, I spent half an hour around the mushrooms before I could even wield my harvester to pick them up.

I believe being the first task of the game it should be a piece of cake. The game needs to recognise that if a player has spent 30 minutes on the first task and hasn’t been able to wield what is necessary to even pick up the mushroom that they may be experiencing difficulty and need help with basics such as controller buttons, positioning, item selection and wielding. All of these things took me a lot of frustration to work out.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.