Let us try melee DPS, this has to be the easiest fix

It’s not an excuse but it’s a possibility. Shots not going through is realistic. A dps warrior would require some common sense on the players part.

Common… sense? Is that edible? I mean, I don’t mind trying some if it is tasty or nutritious, I guess.

It is just weird because shaman orbs travel through just fine and so does Paladin hammer.

Runemages can control their shots and Scoundrels can curve their shots. Paladin hammer and shaman orbs can go through people. Musketeer orbs can do an aoe or be shot at people directly as needed. Warriors are melee so their hits go through people as well. Bards only have to attack every now and then and their shots do curve (which can make it hard to hit until you know the angle the shots come out of that instance).
Rangers… get shafted. Their shots are mostly straight with a slight arc unless they use spread or fire, so they actually have to aim at the enemy with no way of easily bypassing a melee for trash mobs. On bosses, shouldn’t be an issue though. (I mean, it can easily be solved by the melee moving to the other side of the enemies, but…)

It most definitely is an issue. People don’t hold still and nobody has perfect accuracy. It’s already an issue with body blocking. I get blocked repeatedly, but I’ve given up trying to convince people that it’s an issue that exists because it seems like people don’t care :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, it seems like most players don’t care… unless it is happening to them, but then it isn’t a problem if they are blocking someone else…

And I wouldn’t say nobody has perfect accuracy, but you can probably count the number of people in the world with perfect accuracy on one hand. Probably. The number of those playing orbus? Probably significantly less.

I do try to avoid body blocking as much as possible unless I absolutely need to reposition more than I need to avoid body blocking.

“Pick one: Healer dies, Tank dies, or I block shots for a second.”

They always seem to be fine with the healer or tank dying…

I don’t think I’ve ever been in a situation where a Tank/Healer had to jump in front of my shots in order to not die.

At least one time was more or less my own fault. I was trying to get a shield onto the tank so that the tank wouldn’t die and after had backed up to get out of a circle and didn’t realize someone had been behind me so I quickly ran out of the second circle in the first open spot I saw and into someone else’s charged shot.

Either way, not something that most people care about. That time was just notable because the dps actually complained that I blocked their powered up charged shot. (They were very specific about pointing out that it was powered up).

(I’ve also had someone that blocked shots on purpose, but that was more of an exception. Just totally annoying because it cost me a bunch of exp (They died later. Totally don’t know why my protective and curing shots just seemed to keep getting blocked by other players or the boss. My body must have reflexively tried to avoid hitting them or something)).

Amen Man.

^YES! I was thinking Scythe through this whole read!

^possibly the ability to dash in and out of combat from a fair distance, almost like the teleport system now but a bit quicker?

Time is quality, Rushed games(or updates) die hard imo. I mean, I am over 3 years late to the party, and I’m loving every second so far.

Coming from a lot of FPS games, you just gotta be away of your surroundings. Being able to work as a team and all that junk, “just keep formation and you wont hit anyone” has been my experience lmao

… yes, tis true… BUT! I’m getting better, and good communication with the tank is a must.

Also, Hello, and sorry for quoting everyone. love the thread and the game, very new lol.

I assure you, VR and FPS are two completely separate worlds. Even today I had to switch off of Ranger and to Shaman because I was tired of people body blocking me. There was one tank, a Bard, and two Scoundrels. Even then I got body blocked so much that I gave up playing my favorite DPS and switched to my least favorite DPS so I could actually participate. Even with the groups I’ve been playing with for nearly two years that are great at spatial awareness in this game, I still get body blocked. That’s why I don’t think having melee DPS is going to work out as well as people think, but at this point I’m done trying to convince people who don’t want to be convinced. Let them have what they want and I, along with every other Ranger/Scoundrel/Mage, will just have to deal with it.

1 Like

I agree, and truly don’t mind dealing with it, Ranger till death lol. But even coming from VR FPS, trying to not shoot your teammate is pretty tough lol. I cant imagine what would happen if they introduced riot shields, melee weapons, and God knows what explosives. Would be hard to change this late into the games development, that much is understandable lmao.

Yeah, I think the biggest problem with melee dps is that they would really need to understand positioning. It isn’t that it is impossible to avoid (at least to a reasonable extent), but it is something that happens a lot. Sometimes it is just a matter of visuals (if I can’t see the ‘tracer’ streaks, it is hard for me to know where it is safe to move).

I’ll be honest, if a high level runemage is spamming fireballs, I will sometimes block them on purpose for a moment to get a hits on each enemy before the enemies die, but that is usually because they don’t listen when I ask them to let everyone get a hit in before they kill because each enemy is 200+ to 1000+ exp for me. Never had to with any other class, just fireball 2 spammers that just stream cast straight forward even if you block them.

Point is that many players are being taught to body block by the actions of other players, especially if they notice how much exp each mob gets them and that they don’t get exp if they don’t get a hit in. This will make melee dps very problematic because they’ll instinctively body block.

On top of that, sometimes you just body block not even because you mean to, but because everyone is so tightly grouped that if you don’t know how everyone is going to move, it is easy to end up blocking someone during phases that require movement.

And yes, melee classes are going to have some issues with being the ones that block shots. I think it will be worse than what most people think, but I don’t think it will be as bad as Mishka expects - when it comes to more experienced players (I think it will be worse than Mishka expects when it comes to lower level players).

Honestly, the only DPS class I like playing is Ranger. Way prefer Tank or Healing, so I generally don’t have to worry about people blocking my shots by accident. (even as a scoundrel, I can curve my shots and as a ranger I can go for high artillery shots (Which, ironically, are more accurate than me aiming directly since it is pure math)). As Runemage, I can do arcs and Shaman… I’m probably blocking most of the shots myself, lol. That said, I’m not a DPS minded player in the first place. DPS is more of a fill role for me when Tank and Healer are already taken.

If melee DPS got in the way of other DPS then it wouldn’t be viable and people wouldn’t want the users of melee DPS to run with them for they’d just get in the way.

The one way I see people using this is if the class out does the other DPS so everyone starts running it and then you got a bunch of people crowding a boss which still probably isn’t the best idea for majority content for the game just really isn’t designed around melee DPS.
Another way would be if the class had a talent like “hunters mark” That could increase all other dps or some other cool talent that boosted the party in some way or another. If it had a talent like such then at least one in the party could be viable like having one ranger is. If the talent stacked Or had multiple good talent buffs then it would be viable to have multiple melee DPS.

melee dps would have to stand in a certain spot for each boss\mobs they should have long combos that do massive dps due to the complexity of having to be close and stand out of the way

will the update involve lore?

Melee DPS just wouldn’t work, the game isn’t designed for it. It would make more people mad than it would make people happy bc a whole bunch of melee DPS are getting in the way of the real DPS classes. The Melee DPS would just have to swing constantly while staying close to the target as well as dodging everything that’s supposed to be dodged just to try to compete with the DPS of the other classes. That sounds EXHAUSTING. You’d have to put in a whole lot of effort just to be half as decent as the other classes. They could buff this class but that would just be annoying bc everyone would use it and crowd the boss so for those who aren’t using it would just get body blocked and hate that melee dps class more.

If you actually take a second and think it through you’ll see there’s no good way to implement this idea without throwing the game and community out of complete balance especially since there’s THOUSANDS of other things that should be worked on first and are far more important. Their best option is to just put that idea on a pin board and leave it there forever to never be implemented.

I somewhat disagree when it comes to bosses. For the most part, I haven’t had any issues with body blocking on bosses (since I can always aim somewhere higher unless the tank is standing on a bed or something)

And Warriors already have to dodge and swing constantly.

I mean, they could potentially put a talent on the tree of ‘redirect’ so that all friendly projectiles pass through them. That would make the class stop body blocking. Like I’ve said before, shaman orbs already pass through. How hard that is to implement depends on how they did the code for projectiles.

If the melee dps were to just stay on the opposite side of enemies from most players, then really the main problem they’d have are bosses that move a lot, such as Slime boss.

And if this was implemented well, they’d be real DPS as well.

I’m gonna list the bosses it works for.
Dungeon troll.
Lich king for more experienced players.
Minotaur.
Gorgon.
Mutated rat.
Second boss of airship.
Dovregubben if ranged classes are there (not bard, they’re useless).
Scav shaman.
First boss of temple.
Clockwork hunter.
Whatever boss two of the raid is called.
Tea pot boss.
Seamstress.
Empowered valusia.
Basically all trash. My point is it’s fine on most bosses and all trash I can think of.

1 Like

I just don’t see the melee DPS truly keeping up with other DPS classes. The moment you stop swinging you get left behind by mages who can spam like no other and shamans who just grab and toss totems down like champs doing minimum work where as a Melee DPS is going to have to pull off combos and stuff just to bring up the Melee DPS where mages and shaman are casually spamming their attacks.

Just look since old school people have been coming up with GREAT ideas for melee DPS and I know those ideas sparked many more for the devs. However they haven’t once said anything about trying to implement it.

In fact in Alpha they planned on making a “Rogue” like class being a melee DPS and they scraped the idea for whatever reason. In other words the devs have talked on this topic 3 years ago and decided it wasn’t what their going for.
In a MMORPG you just have to have a “Tank” role so they knew at least 1 player would be up close and personal, originally just warrior and then added pally for Reborn to have a second option. All other classes have some kind of range to them. Even Shaman can be a mid range which is what I think they intended especially with the teleport talent however we try to maximize our DPS so we get as close as possible so our orbs hit and respawn as fast as possible.
I believe they did that on purpose bc when you’re up close like you are as a warrior or pally your face is usually stuffed with enemies or a bosses belly (when standing in one place) and that in my opinion can be less immersive than that compared to a mage or ranger being able to see the entire room you’re fighting in as well as all mobs and Players and boss all attacking together. It’s the simple little picture vs big picture and I think they purposely designed around that aspect.

That was changed with the dps balance patch. Sitting at mid range is the new meta. Apparently the “sit in the butt of the boss and clap with one hand” was not intended lol

1 Like

You still get max dps by sitting in the butt though :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Whaaaat? With the lightning streaks at distance getting up to 6 Lightnings in a row? I can’t replicate that at melee range