Megathread: Frequent Crashes

Hi there! Dealing with a strange bug, today only. I open up Steam, then Oculus, and boot Orbus from the Oculus menu. I will either get to login, then be put in the world for a minute before “Connection closed by remote server”. Or I open the game and it doesn’t load my characters. There was some message to the effect of “…Couldn’t authorize login credentials”. Oddly, when I then exit the game, for a few seconds the Oculus Store does not load and Steam says “No Connection”. I am using an Oculus Rift, specs below. This has happened repeatedly, even after a few restarts.

GeForce GTX 970
i5-4690 CPU 3.5GHz
8 GB RAM
Windows 10

Just sent my log your way!

Hmmm…I mean it looks like exactly what you said, after you start playing you get disconnected. The fact that Steam is saying No Connection as well (which would have nothing to do with us) leads me to believe there is something going on with your connection or ISP or something?

I thought so initially, but it is only happening with Orbus. I’ve tried Rocket League, BDO, and Overwatch since with no connection issues.

Hmmmm…

I mean what happens if you open up a Command Prompt and do

ping -t game-direct.orbusvr.com

And leave it running while you try to play? Do you get lost packets or anything?

Pinged with 32 bytes, time ranged from 21-75ms (75 was definitely an outlier though), ttl 52. No drops.

And the game still disconnected after 1 minute with the ping going in the background?

Annnd it actually just let me in… Seeing other players, hearing chat, whole 9 yards. Very odd. I’ll let you know if anything else comes up

Okay no worries yeah let me know if it happens again.

1 Like

Sent an email because this has been plaguing me for the past few days. I use HTC Vive and do often use the overlay.

Hello - so I just picked up the game 2 days ago, really loving it, except for the constant crashes.

I am not running advanced settings / supersampling, and I am not on a beta branch of steamVR.

I experience two types of crashes, and seemingly intermittently. The first type of crash is a standard error where I get a popup saying the client has crashed. I hit close, relaunch the game, and am good to go for a little while. This seems to happen around every ~hour or two, only two crashes tonight in about 3 hours of play.

The second type of crash is much more worrisome - it typically occurs after I load into an area with a ton of people (exiting the house, first time logging in in the starter town, etc) - and my vive just completely cuts out. It’s almost as if the video drivers are crashing entirely - my monitor goes off, the computer still runs, I can hear sounds from SteamVR (hitting the menu button) through my separate wireless headphones, but the vive shuts off and the light turns from green to red. The vive itself goes completely dark and will not revive, I can’t wake up the monitor from power save by moving the mouse/hitting ctrl-alt-delete, alt-f4, nothing. I have to reboot the computer to get back in. This happens extremely randomly - had it once immediately upon logging in, second time was after teleporting back to home and stepping outside. Third time I think I was walking back to town, but I can’t remember. 3 crashes in three hours tonight.

5 total crashes of both types combined.

I’m sending you my output log after completing this post.

My specs: GTX 980ti, i7-3820 @ 3.6 ghz (no OC), 16GB RAM, Win10 64bit

Hi there,
Please give this a try

1 Like

Hello, I haven’t crashed yet, and wanted to provide my info for some contrast to help narrow down the problem.

So I’ve had the game since last Wednesday, January 10th, and I’ve played like 15 hours since then. I haven’t had one crash, either back to login screen, or out of game to windows.

I play the game on an oculus rift, using oculus tray tool with super sampling set on 1.6. I am using Oculus Core 2.0 Beta. I run the game directly from steam, and don’t start up steam VR to run it.

I never crash, but graphically I have issues every time I enter a door or new zone, with 2-5 second visual delays as the world loads in, regardless of graphics settings and super sampling settings.

Specs:

i7-4790k (4.5 GHz), 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1080ti, Windows 10 64-Bit, Oculus Rift CV1 (3 camera setup)

Updating my info: So the driver crash is not caused by Orbus - my video keeps crashing the moment I log into SteamVR now. Going to try rolling back from the latest drivers to an older series and see if it stabilizes.

Hi there, just following up and checking if you’ve tried the thread posted above you and seeing if that helps at all!

I was having issues with crashing and very frequent and lengthy load times after the latest patch, but then I found this thread! I reduced my Super Sampling from 1.0 to 0.6 and set my launch option to -connectws. My last play sessions were much smoother with very short load times. The game’s visual quality did not suffer at all as far as I could tell. There are times while on warrior my slashes aren’t registering, but then will register all at once, but I’m sure that’s a problem on my end (terrible internet connection) and not with the Orbus servers.

I’m on a GTX 1060 with an i5 too.

okay i crashed again i got some really weird bugs
like my shield it going the other way. i get some weird graphical issue when i shouldn’t and some really bad lag
my build
I5 4690k
12gb of ram
gtx titan x
windows 10 pro 64bit

btw i sent a log of it to you
xxche**x*@gmail.com

windows10
amd a10-5800k
16gigs
ssd intel 500g
evga 1060 6gig
asus a55bm-blus/csn
claim the game on steam but I play with occulus

if you need something else don’t hesitate

I had quite a few crashes yesterday, finishing with three crashes in about an hour before I stopped playing. One was during a conversation with another player, no mobs anywhere near. One was mid-combat, and the last was not in combat but there were monsters and players around. I sent you the logs. I’ve checked that Supersampling is set to 1.0.

I’m using a Vive.
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

Edit: I’ve had two crash-free sessions each about an hour long today. One this morning (UK time) where I felt maybe an emptier server helped, and one this evening, where there were loads of people running about, so it’s probably not population based!

If anyone is still having crash issues, I encourage you to select the new “Websocket (Alternate)” connection type which you can now easily activate on the login screen. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.