Micro Transactions

Does the OrbusVR team plan on adding any Non-cosmetic Purchases such as Bigger bag space, Carry weight, Experience boosts, Instant level 20 boost or and any other advantage or increased progress abilities or items?
I’ve heard the Store will be just pure cosmetic’s, Looking around I can’t seem to find any official stance on the subject.

I really hope not.

king of 20

4 Likes

They’re adding a monkey that freaks out when you step in the poison.

Alphabet has one of those already :joy::monkey:

5 Likes

Actually I better cool it with the simian talk, never know when someone might get their jimmies rustled :monkey_face::gorilla::monkey:

In all seriousness, I think certain items the cosmetic shop (hair, face, beard) and 3rd, 4th character slots may be purchase options. But Im pretty sure somewhere they said nothing purchased will be to enhance gameplay or ‘one up’ other players.

3 Likes

This is true. Thankfully the team is adamant on no p2w. Fastest way to lose players imho :stuck_out_tongue:

There are a couple old interviews taken by MasterGamingVR I recommend everyone to look up. It’s awesome reflecting on what their original goals/plans were and how they changed and evolved into what we have today. Whether it waa due to lack of manpower, popular demand, new ideas, time constraints, or whatever else it’s a good watch.

I’ll quit the game and demand a refund for the original money I spent on it if they add paywalls in front of actual game content. Micro-transactions should have never even left the realm of being strictly visual… any game dev that deviates from that loses my support instantly, its absolute crap, its scummy, its terrible, it’s ruining the gaming industry. If you want to make money off your game, then make your community LOVE your game, and I mean the whole community, not just the ones with big wallets. Because as someone who refuses to pay for any micro-transactions, I still have an influence on convincing my friends and others on trying the game, and you can bet I’d ward them off with a flaming stick from any game with content behind a paywall. Youtube reviewers know this too, they know how cancerous Micro-transactions are to the gaming community and they have serious influence on mass numbers of people trying games… or not trying them.
I really hope the Orbus devs tread carefully with additional transactions, and I beg them to toss any idea that remotely gives an in-game advantage for people who pay more.

2 Likes

On the flip side of that I buy merch. I’ve got merch from YouTubers and artists, I had my Discord and Twitch avatars done by commission, I love supporting indie stuff. I’ll definitely be using the heck out of their new cosmetic store. Merch is great. P2w is cancerous…

1 Like

lol dont worry they wont, they said that paid for items will be cosmetic, which if you dont know what that means it means armors, pets, capes, and such. the dev team are not willing to get money so badly as to add paywalls

as you can see in the sprint three of the new roadmap

Sprint Three - August 6th

Our third sprint will focus on a Mounts system, which allows you to get around the world more quickly. We’ll also be introducing a cosmetic-only in-game store which allows you to purchase a few items which do not affect gameplay, such as costumes. We’ll also be rolling out our Expert Mode Raids later that week on August 10th.

I too remember seeing something about paying for Cosmetic only, just added my 2 cents to squash any p2w discussion :yum:

I was begging for pay for cosmetic content. I really dont think that they will go Micro-transaction for actual game content. No worries

1 Like

It’s one thing to add a Cosmetic store now, Then to change it further down the line to something more sinister. Hopefully a Orbus team member can confirm what the plans are going to be in the future.

I’ve spend nearly a grand on cosmetic items in one of my favorite mmorpgs. As long as its purely cosmetic, BRING IT ON! I would love to drop a little more on Orbus.

1 Like

k.

(twenty characters)

4 Likes

Cosmetic shops can be good, sometimes bad. For example in GW2 (bad) you can purchase gems with gold to buy cosmetics. I did the math awhile back and the highest farm you can do in the game was basically maybe like 30 or 40 cents an hour? I can’t remember exactly but it was really below minimum wage. You may as well not play the game, save your electric bill, and purchase the gems. The weak counterargument is “Well you play the game to obtain the items so you’re having fun.” Well, that could be true if grinding money as fast as you can wasn’t horrible and extremely time consuming. The slightly stronger, weak counterargument, is that if you play the game normally you will slowly stack up money and be able to purchase what you want. But it can take months to just get a few things you want from dozens/hundreds of items, also seasonal items… plus actual equipment that matters (consumables for example, legendary, better equipment/crafting…etc).

Similarly, if you can buy cosmetics and trade them, the same $$ vs in-game-$$ applies.

Lastly, if a game focuses too much on selling cosmetics and not providing ones that players can get in-game, you remove a lot of potential content that could have otherwise enriched the game, added player goals that increases playability. Like “hey I really want that cool cape so I am going to raid up.” As opposed to "I now look cool, have the best gear, and have pretty much done all the content…uhhh now what? "

I have so much hate for GW2 and it’s cosmetic shop. In addition to the mystic toilet -________-.

TLDR; Cosmetics can be done horribly, demeaning the value of your playtime. Also can leave a huge gap between characters who look cool because they paid money, and everyone else who looks like a turd (See Path of Exile).

Honestly, I don’t know what a good cosmetic shop looks like… a very small one probably. Backpack size increases/weight increases are horrible… your inventory should be manageable without having to pay real $$$ money for it. Dram? Sure. Make it part of the economy? Even better. Microtransaction shops can include very very minor quality of life improvements(10,15,20% xp boost for 1 week) but they should never sell human rights.

I could rail on GW2 all day though. Like as soon as mounts came out, “oh boy here comes a billion mount skins at the small price of a million dollars with noo way to obtain the vast majority of the cool ones in game.” Best counterexample to provide, just do everything the opposite of GW2.

I like the way that league of legends does it.
I can’t wait to see what the devs come up with.
Ohhh it would be really cool to have guild capes!

Especially if we can do some personal tweaks on them.

2 Likes

Still hoping for some input from the Orbus overlords! :grin: @Mathieu_D

We’ll have more to announce as we get closer to the implementation of it. We are carefully monitoring everyone’s feelings on it for now.

3 Likes