Micro Transactions

Nothing is harder than doing cash shop in mmo. It is almost all about subjective opinions.
However these are my opinions how it could be done.

• No buffs or any other things that give player advantage in field against non-payers. Getting something faster with paying is advantage.
  • Costume selling is ok unless all cool styles are behind paywall or horrible grind.
  • Selling more bank and inventory space etc… works usually fine. Havent seen much complaining about them in other mmo forums.

I like cash shops personally. Its a way to show your support and get unique items to show your support off. (Think early supporters and their backer rewards) I bet those people were excited to have a dragon before everyone else… right… right!.

However I also know the feeling of not having a cool piece of cosmetic gear. Therefore I say have any cash options be cosmetic only but offer a in-game option to gain those unique items. Either by dram or by loot drop. Because it is rather unfair to have a system where there are have and have nots.

2 Likes

Cosmetics are fine, Anything else that gives an advantage or progression speed isn’t. Please don’t throw Orbus down the drain.

2 Likes

I love the idea of a cash shop for cosmetics only but… I wouldn’t like it if you could buy the looks of all the gear some should be exclusive to hard raid drops etc to give a sense of achievement just my opinion

So far it sounds like only cosmetics will work. But the cosmetics should not be obtainable in game other than buying them. Because else it will be seen as an unfair advantage over others to get the stuff. Also making something really unique for the people who buy cosmetics would not be a smart idea IMO. Because people will again hate on that too. Things like extra dye colors or another type of armor would be fine. But adding a special glow to the armor that no other piece of armor has, or getting the only flying pet would not be okay for some ppl.

Personally I am only against paying for faster progression in any way. This also includes paying for cosmetics that are also obtainable in game (Because they also show your result of hard work).

Another idea that can be used for the shop is paying for another layout of your house.

In Path of Exile, the best example of a business model solely relying on cosmetics/QoL cash shop i know, they run long events as part of the game. These events always have a large goal list where you can unlock cosmetics which can also be bought.

The trick here is that people who buy the cosmetics are supporting the game financially and getting their fun cosmetics toys that way. The people who play for the cosmetics are supporting the game by adding life to the game. That may sound strange, but the way they set up the goals means that it takes a LOT of work to earn those cosmetics. And even so, most players who “work” for them only unlock the first 2-3 goals.

Either way, both ways of obtaining the items end up adding value to the game either directly or indirectly.

Just my 2 cents :wink:

Yes! Like put the guild symbol on them. I don’t know though. That sounds like a pain to program?

Archeage has a good example of putting f ex guild or personal symbols on f ex ship sails and other things.

Why not just copy D3 banner/tabard customisation? No need to sophisticate it.

(Maybe allow the community with skills and time to submit symbols and patterns, and award a Custom Orbus Tabard for effort)

Note: not pushing for myself, I game only :grin: just thinking that, most likely there are some talented people out there with too much time, and Devs do have hands full.

I just don’t know ANYTHING about programming. I have an awareness site for my daughter but blogger does that programming. Otherwise could make my Name appear and change colors in dos in jr high. Thats about the height of my programming skills lol.

1 Like

We’ll be announcing the list of items as we get closer but they will definitely not be anything which gives any sort of gameplay advantage, which is something we’ve said since the game first came out and is listed in various places such as the Steam page even.

2 Likes

Sunfish and dwarf Shark gloves! And a Large Minnow hat!

And a pet rock, and the mini dessert snakes enchanted with a flute, from the desert. And a lyre from the music group in guild city!

And journal skin customization, heck options to have different log in areas! Different light dyes? Different poly morph creatures, like goat? (Maybe not that one just yet).

House furniture! Different things to add in the terrarium! Add a salon for all for free but include certain options that can be bought with money. Erm…the list goes on…

1 Like

I would love to be able to buy the confetti gun or another item like it! I would also be interested in presales for the expansion with bonus cosmetic items!!! Maybe a new fishing pole?

I doubt confetti gun would be an option that was a backers reward wouldn’t really be fair to those guys

Fireworks arrows. 20 of them.

4 Likes

That is a cool idea!!

May as well make it a permanent arrow that goes on your hip & regenerates like other class items, as opposed to 20 consumables since mages can just cast Fireworks infinitely.

I said 20 for the 20 character limit :wink:

Gocha👍
KingOf20Chars

I haven’t really said much on this topic yet but I’m just going to throw my 2 cents in the pot.

I played warframe for quite a bit of time in the past and I think some of what it had for the mircotransations, it then has platinum which could be bought for real money, now the bit which I liked most about it was, if you wanted to you could trade the platinum with other players for items or whatever.

For me this was great cause I would grind for hours getting the drops I wanted and then anything extra I got I would then trade for platinum which I could then be used to buy the stuff that was locked behind platinum on market.

This also worked well for my friend that I played with, as warframe is a free to play game he would limit him self to paying so much per month on platinum and act like he was just paying a subscription like in various other mmos. It meant he got the cool stuff without needing to grind as much as I did.

This way items from the shop are accessible to both those that want to pay and those that would rather just grind for hours/days to get the items from the shop themselves.

Right now I’m not 100% how this would translate onto Orbus as there isn’t stuff that is super rare and tradeable which people would be able to trade for “platinum” the J for Jester orb or the pet from Boss4/5 in the raid are things that come to mind but they are soulbound, new additions would be good though or an alternative way of getting the stuff from the in-game shop so those that want the items aren’t “forced” to pay

1 Like