Mini-Competition Games with-in Highsteep

This is suggestion to the Dev team and for Community Input / ideas. In the original OrbusVR game the team installed a Mage Competition “arena” that was basically a mini game in which a Mage could cast spells at targets and a score was given after completion. Originally it was said that the team was hoping to develop other competitions like that for the remaining 3 original classes. I would like to suggest that thought be given to implementing a few of these “mini” games or competitions into the main town. I realize this maybe what the Dragon Races were meant to do but in my opinion I think they were a bit of a miss and do not really tie into the overall game.

I am constantly looking for a reason to log into the game and “hang out” to socialize. I find myself not looking to do anything specific but I do wish I had something to occupy me as I am in “character”. Many switch into Mages and cast spell after spell for practice, fun, and to pass the time. I wish that was something was that could be encouraged more with the other classes in mind. It is just not the same to swing the sword around as it is to cast spells. There is a lot already going on in the game and I know there are still a few bugs and QOL improvements that the team has been working on but I believe that these could mini games could improve the social aspect of the game by giving the players a no pressure, easy way of improving their skills and as a way of passing time in game.

There will also likely be an argument on where the mini games should be placed. Personally I believe they should be in or around Highsteep. This should encourage groups of people to gather (low and high levels) and as a by product possibly encourage the making of random teams to venture, especially now with the return of abberations. I think all of the “competition” areas could be inserted below Highsteep without there being to much fuss over placement and how they tie into the surrounding area although I do give my opinion on where things would make the most sense to me.

Ideas:

1. The Mage: Mage Arena Competition from OrbusVR was good, no reason to reinvent the wheel.
    I think this would work well at the fellowship hall area which is already a gathering location.
  2. The Ranger or Scoundrel: Ranged Targets that move to different distances in which you rack points for hitting the center of the target. (Possibly limit it to specific number of arrows or bullets?)
    Asgard’s Wrath has a simple mini game like this that I think is well implemented in VR but I think you throw axes instead of using arrows. I think this might work well in the new Pub area.
  3. The Shaman or Musketeer: Ring Toss has floating or moving rings to toss orbs or shoot empowered bullets through. Rings can be different colors or may be they could be destroyed with specific abilities like stun, impact, fireball, etc.
    The Shipyard is my suggested location which gives the individual a chance to run up and down the scaffolding hitting targets.
  4. Warrior or Paladin: A Melee Arena with 3 or 4 dummy targets that move forward and can only be reset after specific damage is done or may have to be stunned before damage can be done. Dummies may be far enough away that rushing or hammer throw would need to be used.
    I think this would work well below Highsteep as there is plenty of space to have a few arenas.
  5. Bard: Keep the Target Alive game? or maybe wack-a-mole? IDK with this class.

I personally would like to keep the games very simple and possibly something that multiple classes can use. Place a cost to activate the game so that we have something else to constantly spend dram on. A simple NPC can be added to give instructions and accept the dram. Keep them centralized in or around Highsteep to encourage more people to socialize and hang out in the game. Give everyone a chance to see who is top of each class in regards to that particular task / game. If scoreboards are added have them reset after a period of time. Maybe being top score after a week gives you the dram collected. Think of the mini game that was in Gun Gale Online in which Kirito won the money collected.

Can there also be a portal / entrance to the battle arena? I realize that it is already hard enough to get the battle que to pop but at least an entrance gives a physical presence to the arena. Maybe that could be the location where people can watch the battle field? Possibly think of how Echo Arena does their mini map in the planning area.

One last thing I would like to suggest, this may not be popular, but could you move the Raid Entrance in Highsteep to the Normal Raid and not for Hard raid. Again this is to encourage random groups to give raiding a chance. I understand the want to get the player base a greater reason to explore but if they have never experienced it and with the tendency for it to be harder to get 10 random players together why not make it easier to hook them and then encourage them to find / try the harder raid for the chance at better loot? Personally I just think it makes more sense this way but again I know that hard mode raid groups would rather not have to walk / teleport to get to the hard mode raid entrance.

Thanks for reading.

2 Likes

I really like this, part from the last paragraph, the raid shouldn’t be changed now, if a group wants to get to gather for normal mode that happens in highsteppe anyway and then they use enter raid from activities to get in, no one uses the rainforest entrance other than to escape with the goblin token

1 Like

Could we possibly have the entrance in Highsteep have an option for either Hard or Normal when entering? I am just not sure of the reason for the physical normal entrance being in the Rainforest and the Hard mode being in Highsteep. I am sure that the idea is to give a reason for people to explore the surrounding area but it just does not make sense in my head why it is the way it is.

What Rickness said, there is no such reason since you can simply enter normal Raid from the menu and that’s what 100% players do I raided with, so far (except for pet runs, where you go out and right in again with another leader)… Thinking incentives to explore-the-world is same as forcing people to walk to places who don’t want to explore the world, but simply start a group content is the worst idea, ever, but in the case of the raid it was not the reason, else there would be no menu-entrance.

Other than that I second the suggestion to have a physical entrance to all kinds of raids, why not, it fits to the lore, however you kinda spoil your own Minigame discussion by mixing unrelated random suggestions in, separate posts for separate topics work better in order for suggestions to be properly discussed & arrive at devs attention.

Minigames: Would be cool to have an area for something like that, or instances to be accessed via tavern, for example.

1 Like

We actually started to highsteppe teleport at the end of a run and remake the group at the teleport stone and then use the menu to get back in due to a bunch of us having PvP on and sometimes people think it’s funny to start killing each other rather than going back in straight away

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.