Monthly Fee suggestion

First of all I absolutely love orbus and id like to support it more than just the paltry 40$ cost which is way undervaluing your work ive gotten 100’s of hours of play from this game already and the normal vr game is like 20 bucks for 8 hours of play at best. so id like to suggest an optional subscription for those of us who want to donate say 10 or 15 bucks a month to further support development of the game you guys are doing amazing work and im afraid with your current business model its unsustatinable. at 40$ a pop you eventually are going to cap out your potential earnings im hoping one day you plan to switch to a subscription for everyone once you have enough content in game I understand why you wouldn’t yet… So again as im going off on a tangent lol… how bout an optional subscription with no rewards no perks just something we choose to do because we appreciate your work and to be honest you deserve it. even if I was the only one subscribing its not like it could hurt and id sure love to contribute to seeing this game have a lasting future…

Thanks,

Slandaro

10 Likes

I would also subscribe, I love this game and want it to keep getting full attention and more content, more developers working on it, more refinement, etc. The team has done amazing work so far and I don’t want this game to lose that steam; quite frankly, this game is too important for VR.

8 Likes

Riley talked about this in an interview quite a while ago where he mentioned there might be some sort of cosmetics you’ll be able to buy to support the game.
No p2w stuff but to customize your character

1 Like

that would work too but i really just want a sub as a maintenance fee for the work i feel is deserved not for some reward if they were to put one on their website im just saying id love to subscribe as a way to say hey i appreciate your work and keep it up and i figured there was alot of people who’d feel the same and it’d be super easy to setup without changing anything in the game as i dont want a reward for my fee. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe like a stall that you could pay to set up anywhere. For like a week.

I’d like to buy a mirror for my house and some sort of dressmaker’s doll to hang armour sets on.
Picture frames would be nice too, I’d like to put maps in them.

8 Likes

@Cassadin, customizables for the house would be so! awesome :smile:

3 Likes

I agree. I’m not exactly sure how this game makes enough to cover is costs. I’ve contemplated this many times, but some sort is subscription model seems inevitable if they see going to continue to push out quality content while growing the business side of the game.

1 Like

I think subscriptions while I love them, are very off putting for most modern gamers. My family and friends play a lot of MMOs and frequently play subscriptions ones for only a month or two. Since there are so many titles to play people just cycle back to an MMO for large expansions rather then wait for content.

A better way to keep people engaged is to have it always accessible so when you miss the game. Want to just pop in and play with friends for a day or week or two you don’t have the hassle of a subscription road block.

I agree I would love to throw more money to support. Perhaps having a cash shop for cosmetics. Pets are already in the game that could be implemented easy, as well as capes that are not pay to win items. If we could get a tab on our character sheet which would swap to gear slots that would overwrite any appearance to that gear item. Then you could have transmog (WoW) or glamor (FFXIV) system with many items.

This would also liven up the world by making everyone not look the same which I feel makes for a good environment and gives people other goals and keeps them engaged.

Cosmetic appearance items for in game achievements also keeps people engaged.

Also reskining a personal house might be neat as a shop item. Like instead of wooden interior a stone castle theme, white or black variants. Stuff like that.

6 Likes

To make a subscription without subscribing. You could rename it as market stall ownership. So when someone looks at the game there is no sub model they know what that means. Then later you read or are told you can get a market stall only to sell items while offline by purchasing a lease which has a monthly fee. Or bid with ingame currency for the main stalls close to the big cities.

For those that buy a monthly marketstall you would make a separate zone area, for a trading town. A bit out of the way to travel maybe only get there by airship. That place would have to be designed with instances that you could select specifically or be scaleable in another way, maybe by adding floors and stairs. When more stalls are required a new floor would be automatically generated. So a Market Tower design would work excellent.

Buy Once, Play Forever
OrbusVR does not have a required monthly subscription fee! Once you’ve bought the game, you are able to play it as much as you’d like without paying us another dime. We don’t have any “Pay 2 Win” in-app purchases or loot boxes, either. In the future, we may introduce an in-game cosmetics shop, but anything purchased there will not have any game mechanic advantges.

3 Likes

I think we all understand the current philosophy. We’re just discussing ways to take it a bit further without moving into the pay-to-win territory.

I agree that a required subscription is a bad way to go. But I’m also in the group that would love to support the game further.

I, for one, am looking forward to the customizations. I can’t wait to get these in game. But I also think that there may be more possible income sources than just a pretty haircut.

2 Likes

Personally I am ok with a sub model. Typically that is what I look for, less p2w and whatnot. But bait and switch and I’ll go back to pancake MMOs for a while. I do love the game though and hope it doesn’t come to that.

If not going the subscription route, which I agree, could remove some of the playerbase, I think they could solve a lot of minor issues by implementing certain features behind a cosmetic shop “paywall”. Path Of Exile makes all of their money on their free game by doing this. I’ve got damn near 1000 hours into POE from when the alpha for it first started, and they’ve gotten hundreds out of me because I kept thinking “damn, I need another tab for my stash, better pony up and grab one” or “dang, this new armor skin looks awesome!” or “yeah, it would be cool if my sword dripped magma and my footprints were molten”, and then, me mixing and matching on top of that. It adds up.

I DO NOT want to see this game shortcut anything with a cash shop (xp boosters, auto-levellers, pay with dram or pay with real money, etc), so the Warframe route doesn’t appeal to me (though it does work in that game). But they have mentioned that isn’t the plan, so as long as they stick to their guns on that I’m cool with it.

The point is, short of gifting my friends vr headsets and gifting them orbus, I can’t really support the game in any other way and I want to be able to.

1 Like

i think many people missed my point id like an option to donate 15$ a month call it a subscription call it a donation call it whatever you wish and i think theres plenty who feel the way i do. 40$ means this game will be majorly limited to updates in the future you can only ever make 40$ x all vr players out there maximum. that means at some point the game would cost alot more to update than they could ever potentially make so what will eventually happen is they will have to shut down… even if they dont pay people to code updates theres upkeep for servers ect that cost them so much… I just want to give more to the future of this game in my own way thats why i suggested a subscription with no reward no extras nothing but my donation of 15$ a month because i want to support this game. i HATE pay for play i think its rediculous to reward people who have more money than others with in game rewards that to me is completely unfair. But those of us who can and WANT to donate 15 a month should have some method or viable way of doing so thats all i really meant. not an actual required subscript to play if they ever do that it should be way in the future once the game has more content and is more finished.

Slandaro

1 Like

I’m active on patreon for a few projects (I support crossvr, cemu, and Pbs space time). This is probably the easiest way to accomplish what you’re suggesting without affecting the games marketing.

2 Likes

Pretty much limited to cosmetics and expansion packs, unless you want to make the steam store page false.

1 Like

Well, I greatly look forward to expansion packs, then!

And cosmetics…and whatever else I can do to support this game.

1 Like

Elite Dangerous is doing well with cosmetic and expansion packs (and no pay to win); I think this is a good model.

2 Likes

I believe they went over their plans for future monetization and explained why they chose not to use a subscription model.

If you really want to support the game, I would wait until they release their cosmetics shop and other things (like merchandise)! One of those dragon plushies would be really fun!