More melee battle disciplines

Thank you for explaining Kiting Sift. There has to be a way to balance that out though.

Sometimes there is nothing else to do than kite the boss and wait for a paladins heal to come back or for a warrior’s shield to come back. The only way I can think of at the moment is to make the boss easy enough so that you never end up having to move in the fight, but this would be very boring.

Thank you Sift, I think I get what you are saying. The current settings for a warrior’s teleport to selected target (aka ‘sword rush’) seems to be pretty unlimited with a really short cool-down. Would making something like that a standard for any melee-heavy class solve the issue?

Depending on how long the boss is running around for. You will end up using your teleport, and after that you are left to chasing after the boss and waiting for it to stop running. During this time you will be losing a lot of DPS while all the ranged classes are getting their damage in still. I really don’t know how they would make a melee DPS class, but maybe I’m just not creative enough. Also keep in mind that this game already has 4 DPS classes and only 2 tanks and 2 healers.

More classes would be fantastic. However, and a big however is that balancing the classes and making them genuinely unique would take a lot of time for the dev team, you gotta think of it from their perspective. So with time, and with new expansions every once and a while we can expect new classes, but if we want them to be good, we have to wait, sadly. Have a good day brother.

@Sift thank you, that makes sense. DPS-melee would take some doing. I would be happy even with being able to bash monsters with the edges of my shield (like I would if it was a real shield) for damage while tanking.

@Ryan_W4 thank you, very true. One can hope for some modifications sooner, rather than later though. I do not need it today. Just at some point, it would be really nice. :slight_smile:

I feel like melee dps would cluster fights alot, melee would be contesting for space with both other melee players and casters.
Melee will get in the way of ranged attacks, and possibly make it harder to see things like cast bars and actual movement of the target.

I don’t think removing ally collision would be too viable either, would break immersion and also what about healing abilities? They still need to make contact.

While the concept is cool, i think a total rework of combat would need to be done to be viable, melee has a place atm, and that is tanking

1 Like

@Phillip_M Fair enough, I am not set on it being DPS. Would be happy if I could tank dual-handed.

A dual wield tank would be cool, perhapes focused on reactively healing yourself similar to a paladin, and with it’s own set of talents compared to a normal warrior. Allowing for talent choices which affect attacks/abilities more diversely changing the class without having to add a whole new one

Wasnt there a barbarian or something with two axes in OG orbus beta ? I remeber seeing a youtube video or something. I love playing warrior but I also wish there was another melee class or maybe different weapons for the warrior like a spear or polearm. I’d love daggers but even now being close to something is hard hit box wise. My stupid ultimate dream would be dual shields you could throw :heart_eyes:

@Phillip_M Thank you. I agree, that would be awesome! :slight_smile:

@Mithril I’m not sure, maybe you are thinking of Dungeon Knight? Spears and polearms would give better range. Maybe throwing daggers would be a good idea? Lol, they would have to be small shields.

1 Like

more clustered than all the ranged ppl standing on top of eachother? melee is the only spot atm that isnt clustered.

obviously the solution is to remove ally collision

all aimed heals atm are aoe (some have really small boxes). It would just heal all the ppl who are stacked up.

a lot of ppl want to dps as melee though, not tank.

1 Like

Pally should not focus on dps ever due to the fact it’s a tank. The past arguments were to decrease dps for the tank and that is what they did so now you want them to go back on what everyone just complained about and rework a whole talent tree to increase what everyone wanted reduced? Come on bud you know it’s not gonna happen.

1 Like

" all aimed heals atm are aoe (some have really small boxes). It would just heal all the ppl who are stacked up."

@Xicor That is a really good point.

@dylan_p What we really want is dual-wielded weapons. We are not that picky about how it happens.

We should definitely get a melee dps class.

I’m thinking something like assassin or rogue that use dual daggers and have abilities like shadow-step and whatnot.

Maybe a talent for it could be increased damage when hitting an enemy from behind.

Another option is to have dual specializations for each class with differing weapons i.e. warrior with dual wield swords (making it more of a dps spec), Paladin with battleaxe (also dps), runemage with staff (more support?), musketeer with a more sniper like weapon that does more damage at range (dps), things like these.

1 Like

Maybe have an assassin class that can throw daggers as well as use them in close range (for more dps or other boons like poison/slow). A talent for this class could be shadowstep where they can tp to their daggers like paladin to hammer with a relatively short cooldown

A short cool down on that would be a little overpowered (as is the paladin hammer teleport) especially for a DPS class.

More OP than a scoundrel who can just shoot whenever? They could balance the damage so that it isn’t.

1 Like

A short cool down on a teleport would be overpowered. We already have this problem with the paladin. I don’t even want to think of adding another class to the game that can teleport long distances very quickly. Not to mention the fact that a melee class is close range making it not really need extremely high mobility.

Have you ever done the sewer rat dungeon? The boss switches aggro randomly and tanks can’t do anything to keep it aggro’d to them. Also you have to kite the boss around. Basically warriors are useless against it because of limited mobility and not being able to draw aggro. The only thing tanks can do against it is wait for it to randomly aggro on you and otherwise just keep aggro on the adds.

For bosses like this and other enemies around Orbus, melee classes are at a huge disadvantage. For a melee dps class to work it would need increased mobility. And the idea that giving melee classes increased mobility is somehow OP is complete bullshit because the ranged dps classes can just hit whatever they want from far away. Melee classes actually have to get close enough to hit.