Mounts and locomotion

I’ve played a variety of mmos over the passed 15 years and have never seen elitism over items. I’ve seen “you can’t join because you don’t have this gear” but that’s stat based, not elitism. Maybe it’s the large population that people don’t care or notice. I think in Orbus elitism won’t be tolerated by the community because “elitists” are usually jerks with egos.

2 Likes

yes, they are jerks with egos and so is the American president i didn’t vote for yet people follow that wigged Cheeto blindly. and so will lower level players follow their fellowship leaders blindly. it only takes one bad person to infect others because misery loves company. that is to say, i have every confidence that the devs will probably provide a way to mitigate the jerks who legit believe they are better because of gear or stats. and you are right about level limited content i have no problem with that. it’s entirely reasonable to tell an lvl one player they can’t join a raid that is set up for players over level 70 and up its entirely unrealistic to expect them to perform well when they haven’t even obtained enough drawn to buy a sunfish. now id also like to say that there is a no such thing as a perfect game and with that i have made my point and hope for the best
(sorry for the long-winded response)

Yes, but the game can encourage either sitting or standing and I think there’s some value in actively encouraging sitting opportunities. For example, combat seems to encourage standing. It would be possible to introduce horseback combat for times when you want to sit, but the game designers could encourage horseback versus standing combat by making one or the other more effective (just an example).

By doing this the game would be more appealing during times where I didn’t feel like standing much, or had just been to the gym or jogging earlier and was not in the mood to stand for extended periods. I really feel like this is an important consideration in a VR MMO. Just the other day I wanted to play Onward, but I had just left the gym and did not really feel like any more exercise…so I didn’t play.

there is no place where standing or sitting for that matter is actually encouraged, its simply your choice. if you want, you can just sit on a stool and fight that way, or you can stand its only personal preference, and enforcing sitting is just as bad as enforcing standing. if you want to only sit and play, do rune mage and cast ur spells from a sit, or ranger and turn so u have ur arms free, or etc etc. its ur choice how u play there is no need for the devs to add in advantages to playing either way. if u get back to the gym and dont want to play, just dont play and go rest

2 Likes

I am not sure if OrbusVR needs personal mounts yet. When it hits early access it is supposed to be 9 square km. Compare that to traditional MMORPGs like WoW (250 sq km), Asheron’s Call (1,295 sq km), LOTRO (175 sq km) or Everquest (800 sq km). As the game world size continues to grow in the future it might become necessary.

1 Like

But you can auto-run in those games. Really tuff to do that in this game.

Maybe they could create a specific control for people in order to mount for ex: sitting on the floor (this could decrease the nausea)
Maybe even create a locomotion system for the mount (with full controls)
Or simply travel routes with instant tp (skyrim caravane)

1 Like

Wouldn’t instant tp be terrible for the social aspect of the game? To me that is one of the main things I am looking forward to. Like running into other players and going on adventures.

2 Likes

You can instantly teleport across the world currently, but it costs a reagent, only goes to specific set locations, and only stays open a short while. The vast majority of the time, players are traveling around the world “on foot” by sliding or local teleport movement, and it is very common to come across other players in your travels, and wave a quick greeting or have a conversation, etc.

1 Like

FLYING MOUNTS thatd be dope

2 Likes

Oooo. FLAME WAR!!! :grin:

Flying mount discussions in MMOs are generally very heated debates. For my money, they only really add a way to bypass content and so shrink my perception of the world.

GW2 very cleverly just added in gliding, and that worked really well, but please not flying!

2 Likes

I can see that. Good point :+1:

We do have some plans for increasing travel speed, although the details are still being decided on. At first I was thinking of doing like a personal mechanical thing that had wheels and a sail and you steered because I thought that would be a great experience in VR, but after testing it out I think they would have to be way too big for it to really work in the world.

But don’t be surprised if in the future there is some sort of long-distance travel accomplished by something like that.

Instead we’re now focused on more of a “personal travel device” that basically allows you to glide quickly slightly above the ground or something like that. But that will be something that we would introduce post-launch.

9 Likes

This sounds super cool, I just hope there will be options for both the people who get motion sick from sliding and those who don’t so no one is at a disadvantage.

sounds great! i just hope if it is something like ur example of a car or something there is a option to move with your group, so if its the route of mounts, then multiple people riding the same one, or for a cart or whatever multiple seats so you dont have to split up with your group if you want to travel fast

and honestly i wouldnt mind just having a couple more airships around and then leaving everything as is

1 Like

The airship goes to more than just the Lakewood Inn now btw.

1 Like

i know, i heard about ur adventures yesterday from logan, also heard how long the wait for the ship was, but that will probably get changed by next test

I had the exact same idea while playing yesterday. While holding my compas I was thinking to myself “what if I could hold something that made me go faster? But I couldn’t hold it and do battle.”

If we get horse mount at some point, what could be cool is if you would hold a rein with both hand and then pull to the left to turn left, pull to the right to turn right. A Zelda kind of stamina bar could be used to go faster on a button press with 3-4 speed and another button to slow down or dismount. Or maybe pulling both toward you would also work… If flying mount get added later you could steer up and down by pulling the rein up or down. It would be cool to collect all kind of mount like in other mmo and see them in VR :wink: Horse, tiger, raptor, pig, bear etc :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Did anyone play Black Desert? I really liked the horse taming in that game, along with breeding. I feel like a similar system could be really fun in VR where you have to lasso a horse then calm them down with a mini game or something before taking them back to a stable.

1 Like