Musketeer Class Changes

One thing I’d like to point out is that this is still a prototype and the timings and mechanics aren’t set in stone. Currently the gizmos spawn in a small radius around the turret every 4 seconds and each gizmo lasts for 12 seconds, so you can have up to 3 available to use at a time and they don’t have to be used immediately as they’re spawned like in the video. The gizmo ability activates every 5 charges, resetting the appropriate cooldowns and providing a damage/healing buff to the musketeer.

The main goal here is to increase interactivity for the musketeer while allowing them more control over the availability of their orbs. The thinking behind this mechanic isn’t “musketeers must now pop this ability every 20s or they won’t be viable” – you can do that, it does raise the potential ceiling for class output – but we have other balance changes we’re making to the class to try and accomplish that. A musketeer who completely ignored these mechanics would still be just as effective as a musketeer is currently and their level of effectiveness will increase without this new mechanic.We are hoping this ability will be used in conjunction with what is going on during the battle and allow the musketeer more control over their contribution.

For example, if you know there is a high damage boss mechanic about to go off, you could charge your turret up to 4 charges ahead of time, hold off on the 5th charge and then use it after the attack for burst healing by using all your healing orbs and then immediately respawning them. Alternatively, you could time the use of the ability with other burst damage abilities to really capitalize on a boss with a vulnerability mechanic.

2 Likes

We are planning to release these changes with the raid beta on June 11 so you should have the entire beta period to practice before the full raid release.

Okay I was not feeling like saying anything initially because I 100% expected others to do this. But I don’t understand how okay the ppl are about the Gizmos. It is using multiple bad aspects of VR and is just not going to be fun.

Jumping to a location is just not viable and accurate. You aim jump to location 1, instantly are disorientated and you are not in middle of your playspace so your jump spot is not where you said you would jump. Then we have the grabbing, ooh god grabbing things is annoying as hell in vr and mostly with Orbus with grip. And then the throwing is on itself also really not working and fun. Every step is just bad in my opinion. Take the throw fish event. I am not a fan of that one. Shaman is also an (far stretched) example of it (least played class).

I really hope to NOT see alternatives that still has the jump, grab, throw things with.

3 Likes

While I like the idea of a bit more utility, I don’t like this. I will put my turret where it’s needed most, not necessarily next to myself, or I throw it up high or down low to be out of Line of Sight so it’s not in the way of heal shots or dps, either way, it’s likely to be out of reach if I’m supposed to be grabbing Gizmos from it. What about spawning the gizmos at our belt when the turret is active, and we can activate them by grabbing them and using the trigger, similar to burning cards?

4 Likes

Very similar reasoning to my suggestion.

User problem: As a musketeer, I need to move around a lot in the fight and my turret does not follow me.

Suggestion: Make gizmos attached to my body and be immediately accessible.

further notes:

• because the general attention that a musketeer needs is towards the gun, it might make sense to have the gizmos as either something additional attached to the gun or floating somewhere close to the users vision without obstruction.

• I am not a musketeer. Please critique.

1 Like

This interactivity seems like we pick up trash around our turret while everyone else is playing the game. It already feels tedious and boring. Sorry, i have no manners. What im trying to say is, we dont just want something to do. We want to feel useful. Recommendation - Instead of gizmos, put weakpoints on the mobs that are only for musketeers (like you do for rangers) If a musketeer hits one of those points, it has the same effect as loading a gizmo into the turret. We want to shoot the mobs NOT babysit the turret. We already have to supercharge it, then empower it, EVERY time we toss out a new turret. Now we have to actually stand near it and pick up stuff on the ground too? That doesnt even sound fun.

But that is exactly what will happen. If there is a ceiling, you will be required to be getting as close to hitting it, as is reasonably possible. That isnt a bad thing, we want to have the ability to be more effective, the question is, is it being done in a way that is fun? To me it does not seem that way (although i very much like the other changes)

Something that has been brought up, but i haven’t seen you guys respond to in any of the threads (apologies if i missed it) The turret does not throw as far as it used to. We dont want to stand next to our turret. The gizmo mechanic essentially forces us to do that.

Havent seen anyone ask about this yet, but does the gizmo empower reset when the turret expires? Does that mean that we can get half way through and then have to start over? How long does the turret even last? Its gonna take (a minimum of) 20 seconds to get it to full empower, and that doesnt even take into account that the turret dies much easier and more often than it did in OG orbus.

12 Likes

Gizmo’s spawn in the air like bubbles.

Musketeer shoots/pop them down.

Turret absorbs them.

13 Likes

That looks like a lot of looking down/bending down to get things. My back and neck would not like this. I’ll hold off on my judgement till I see something more concrete, but my initial reaction is “This is babysitting a turret.” The other changes sound good though.

2 Likes

This. Seriously.

Right now, we basically stand around, make sure our turrets are empowered and near enough to people to work properly, and shoot a pittance of damage at some enemies in between healing. This gizmo thing just makes it so we’re doing less combat and more a trash cleanup mini game.

2 Likes

cool idea!

THIS could be an okay to work whatever gizmo mechanic you settle on. It will also be doable across a room with sniping skills. Still lessens the combat and adds a minigame, though.

1 Like

I guess I’m also surprised this wasn’t a mechanic based around the fact that the Musketeer is a gun class. Shooting critical points to charge the turret up rather than picking up trash would be more engaging. It would be a skill based “mini game”. I just can’t see myself enjoying picking up my turrets trash and feeding it back to it.

4 Likes

What downtime? What? I am fully occupied in fights and positioning does not include dancing around your turret and play minigames.
I welcome some other changes, but this… makes me glad I level a bard now.

1 Like

I would 110% prefer this than picking up stuff and throwing it.

4 Likes

This seems like a more fun way to do it and it wouldn’t remove musketeers from the fight as much.

2 Likes

Also, impact orb doesnt really make any sense. There are currently no situations were it would be preferable to do a small amount of damage to multiple enemies at once. The goal in almost all multiple mob fights is to burst down a specific mob fast and then move to the next target. This orb just makes us even less effective when there are more mobs present.

So I really appreciate all of the feedback on the new gizmo mechanic. As with the initial shaman relocation change we considered making, it’s always interesting to see what the community’s opinion is about larger class changes prior to their implementation. Again, this concept isn’t set in stone and that’s why we wanted to share the idea with you ahead of time.

Since the overwhelming opinion on the actual gizmo mechanic seems to be “babysitting trash is a garbage idea” we’ll look into an alternative. That said, there are a lot of other changes being proposed and I don’t want the entire discussion to focus solely on that one feature. It seems like most everyone likes the idea of resetting cooldowns and boosting damage/healing for a short time, just not the mechanism for doing it right?

Edit: Apologies, left out half the mechanic’s effect initially.

2 Likes

well… no. For the most part, the issues with musky isnt that our cooldowns are too long. This was kind of an issue that i wanted to see addressed for some specific orbs mainly decurse, and cure, but you did this on its own, so having it in the gizmo mechanic seems unneeded (and i prefer it on its own, rather than part of the gizmo thing)… from a damage perspective it would help, but only if our damage orbs actually did damage… they currently dont. Reapplying poison is cool, but it doesnt increase your damage. Basically this would only have an impact on the…impact orb. Make the weakness/frost/gravity/whatever orbs also deal some increased damage on hit, and the cd reset would matter more.

Edit - The stacking damage/healing boost part is good. Question, does the damage boost part apply to basic attacks? :arrow_right:More Edit - Actually i want to expand on this more. I think the stacking damage buff is a great idea, our damage is terrible, but i would like to point out that buffing the healing too much could be over powered. I obviously dont have any numbers to work with, but you said you were boosting the healing values on renew and cure regardless, so more healing power might not be needed when that is taken into account.:arrow_left:

Also what does gravity even do now? Im assuming that the charge shot acts as an interrupt? Is that correct? Gravity just pulled mobs in (which was generally considered a bad thing) and interrupted, and diddnt even do any damage…its basically even more useless now if you diddnt change its function.

Boosting the efficacy of the class is good, but the cd refresh is not terribly helpful unless we need it and then we need the orbs immediately and doing some minigame to provide that isn’t effective.

I do think that something could be done to raise the skill level and make things interesting without competing with core mechanics of the class. Add floaty targets around the room to shoot or, better yet, on enemies. Or add something onto the musketeer’s belt or gun that is useable without interfering with class mechanics.

Please no grab and throw. Half the time I can’t even grab things, plus every item in Reborn seems to be twice as hard to throw as it used to be. Also please no crazy minigame that will make combat even harder to keep track of or that will impair maneuverability of the class.

3 Likes

All of this. No, seriously. This.

1 Like