Need a dual wield class or option

I know this has been mentioned before but with the new raids I feel this would be a viable option now.

As in another thread, a poster said that a team of tanks can shield bash and render the bosses immobile. Likewise a team of healers could keep everyone immortal.

So I propose a dual wield class or option/talent tree that a warrior or musketeer could use.

Take the warrior class. Now equip another sword and there he becomes dps and the talent tree skills could boost the damage output to make the warrior as useful as any other dps class for raids when more than 1-2 warriors already are in the group.

Also the musketeer class could dual wield pistols and have different ā€˜ā€˜bulletā€™ā€™ options to freeze and shock or burn rather than healing effects. The different options can be as easily selected just like ranger arrows. Placed on the waist and a simple swipe by would equip them.

This would make the warrior and musketeer classes even more popular and build depth to the classes.

Also I say these options wouldnā€™t need to be grinded too through leveling but rather unlocked once level 20 is reached, as a talent option.

2 Likes

Dual wielding with projectiles would be so fun but I donā€™t imagine they would ever make that a thing.

Dual wielding has always been a dream for most players, but on numerous occasions the devs have said they want each role unique instead of everything being able to do everything. If dual wielding were to be added it would be as a new class with unique abilities/mechanics.
The current hit detection is being tweaked again, but I doubt they could be tweaked enough to allow for accurate dual wield mechanics.
I hope Iā€™m wrong and the devs would consider adding dual wield talents instead of the current berserker talents but I donā€™t see it happening.

1 Like

I mean you already have left handed and right handed sword, why not both at the same time? Though I agree they would do it as a different class.

They already have a Berserker class that they tried, I think early in game dev it was too difficult to get it working properly though. Hopefully we will see it come back soon.

They have to be careful with a melee DPS class.

Currently most strategies involve DPS being at range and getting healed.

If there was a melee class, they would need to do 2x the work because they have to dodge Boss AOEā€™s and run for healing since the healer is prioritizing the tank usually with all heals.

It also might make groups not want a melee DPS so they would need to make it worthwhile.

1 Like

You bring an intriguing point to the topic of other/new classes. with this thought in mind, any new class (in the current system) would almost have to be a ranged class. Since as you said, any melee dps would be affected by boss aoe and not looked at by healersā€¦ :thinking:

The old berserker class had 2 axes and was played like a rhythm game. Red dots came down and you had to slash the correct direction at the right time. It wasnā€™t a good fit for Orbus combat, but that was a dual wield attempt. Due to popular demand I would be surprised if dual wielding wasnā€™t a new class in the expansion.

Letā€™s go full SAO on this B***!

Gotcha, I didnā€™t get to play the berserker class, thanks for more info on it. Definitely sounds weird to have a minigame for just normal combat.

I just picture special two handed combos like parry (well blade crossing for a short block), stun (similar to shield bash in effect), repost (a combo that pushes the enemy back), and probably a couple other DPS and dot types.

Most of those could use existing hitbox mechanics from the warrior.

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s berserker footage on YouTube. I agree those attacks could work. My bigger concern would be actually hitting with the offhand. Itā€™s hard enough getting reliable detection with your dominant hand. Also combos using two swords each trading off directions would be so tricky with multiple enemies messing up combos. Iā€™d 100% test it and probably main it just because it sounds cool, but it would take so much practice to ā€œgitgudā€ hah

2 things:

• beatsaber, and better detection code (goes for both melee, ranged (arrows sometimes pass through mobs without hit detection) and runes

:wink:

Haha yeah I have beatsaber and really enjoy it. Playing normal/mirror, and single saber/mirror is great. Sadly Orbus enemies are not coming straight ahead :stuck_out_tongue:

Hereā€™s hoping the new detection is awesome! Each new iteration has been a big improvement over the former so Iā€™m optimistic.

There is potential for dual-wield in some existing classes if other changes are made to the game system. Specifically we need a way to pick up loot even if weā€™re having both our hands occupied. I think that although picking up loot is a nifty use of VR mechanics, autoloot is not really a bad idea considering the combat system.

Some quick ideas:

1. Warrior could dual-wield:
  • Off-hand sword as an optional item instead of shield
  • Talent option that lets your normal attacks ā€˜cleaveā€™ enemies (think Fruit Ninja)
  • Uses existing combos, but now you can perform them twice as fast
  • Actual ā€˜Cleaveā€™ skill is still garbage, so it gets buffed up to actually be worth using even with the new ā€˜cleaveā€™ talent
  • Cross both swords in an ā€˜Xā€™ formation to block attacks
  1. Musketeer could dual-wield:
  • Instead of picking which orb to use at a given time, whatever orb hovers over the top of your gun is the one that is fired.
  • You can have different orb load-outs for each gun.
  • You can use the same orb multiple times, but they canā€™t be shared between guns. So if you wanted to spam Cure Wounds with your ā€˜Healingā€™ gun (aka Ivory), you can. If you wanted to spam Poison with your ā€˜DPSā€™ gun (aka Ebony), you can!
  • Pew Pew Pew Pew Pew
  1. Other class ideas that could dual-wield:
  • Assassin that uses either double-daggers or dual-katar
  • Gunslinger with pistols (similar to Musky idea)
  • Mystic (think: Dr. Strange) uses simple runes similar to Runemage (but not as difficult) to craft different ā€œhand buffsā€ that allow you to sling a variety of spells for some time
  • Monk that has beefy fist weapons. You punch by thrusting the controllers forward, but holding the triggers on both hands allows you to ā€œpunch out combosā€. Head -> Head -> Head = high damage stun attack. Chest -> Chest -> Chest = heart-stopping bleed attack. Ground->Ground->Ground = AoE damage.

Funny you mention musk healing/dps guns because the original musketeer (called orb healer at the time) used 2 crossbows. One healed and one did dps :laughing:

• or take a look at BoxVR, plenty of punching combos going on there to get inspiration from :wink:

I was thinking about the boxing class while playingā€¦ Then I was practicing punching the dummy right outside of highstep and I realized that you have to be extremely fit to do a raid as a boxerā€¦

1 Like

plz https://youtu.be/-whOSIi7toI?t=262 dual wield pls

Make it something that tanks can switch to throughout a fight to do sudden mad deeps for 30 seconds or something. Imagine the awesome strategies that would come out of that.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.