New Branch to Fix UDP Crash Issues

Hey everyone,

If you’ve been using the “Websocket (Alternate)” Connection method because the Default method was causing crashes for you, I have a new branch for you to try that might help.

Just right-click on “OrbusVR” on Steam, select “Properties…”, and then choose the “Betas” tab and pick “udpfix” from the drop-down. It will update your client and then you can give it a try. Be sure to switch back to “Default” for the connection type on the login screen.

Right now we can only offer this to Steam users but if it’s working well then I will quickly push it out to everyone.

Thanks and let me know if it helps at all!

1 Like

I tried it out but still got a crash after about 30min, TCP works fine

Darn. Well, I am really starting to get at a loss on this. I’ll keep trying.

I have noticed I usually crash using udp when proximity voice is used or when someone else uses the party or guild voice chat.

Not sure if that helps or might be a clue for you.

I am on a i5 4590, gtx 980

Okay, I tried something else, if you are on the udpfix branch just restart your Steam client to get the update. Let me know if that works.

At this point I am just going to keep trying stuff and hope we hit on something, so thank you in advance for testing it out.

@Riley_D There might be something more to the voice issue that @Matt_d is talking about. I was having issues with my game completely crashing only while at Sanyael with a large group. This occurred both on the original connection and the alternate connection. Yesterday while many people were there, I was on discord as usual, but I muted all in-game audio. I did half a dozen runs through Sanyael without even the slightest bit of lag, and no disconnects or crashes. I’ve been pondering since then if it might be something to do with the in game voip. Definitely something worth looking into!

It’s entirely possible that is a separate issue, but the VoiP implementation wouldn’t differ between UDP and Websocket, so if it’s crashing for them after 20 minutes on UDP but not at all on Websocket, with voice active on both, I don’t think that’s the issue in this case. I am looking into a separate VoiP issue, though, as well.

The udpfix beta did not solve the problem. I think there is a threshold of packets or something and when it’s reached the program crashes. I did a few tests and it seems the more talking I encountered the quicker the crash.

I tried to confirm by sitting in the basement of the personal house and it took about twice as long to crash doing no activity.

Could have been a coincidence I didn’t have a lot of time to test only a few hours today.

I appreciate all the effort to resolve this, if there’s anyway I could assist further let me know.

Okay, let’s let a few others test it as well just to be sure.

I do think it’s affected by how many packets you get and how quickly. I just can’t figure out how to fix it, haha. My current theory is it’s a garbage collection thing.

Tried it just now, I can confirm it still crashes.

For me it didn’t start crashing until I joined a party and started talking as well, could be just a coincidence though.

Okay, can you also try hanging out in your house for say 30 minutes and see if it still crashes for you? The fact that it is crashing for Matt_D even when he is in his house makes me think it’s not strictly a VoiP issue (assuming Matt wasn’t receiving party or fellowship voice chat?)

Sure thing it would be my pleasure!

I was playing for about 30 minutes in the desert killing mobs alone prior to crashing and I was fine, I then joined a group for Tradu mines, teleported to the Camp next to guild city and crashed right while I was walking in the middle of the camp.

tonight I will try just hanging around in the house

No crashes for me if I hang around the house for 30+ minutes. When I leave though, thats a different story :-/

Okay, well that’s good info. I am going to do a build where I totally turn off the voice chat so you can try that just to see if that’s what it is. I’ll let you know when that’s ready.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.