New Class Idea (Paladin/Crusader)

**Preface:**I’m sure you guys get these all the time, and I know there are so many more important things to add before new classes, but I just had this idea while trying to go to sleep for the night and just had to roll out of bed and get it written down.

Core Concept: an armor-clad follower of Ma’at that aids her allies by absorbing damage and healing wounds.

Weapon: 2 handed mace/hammer. Can be wielded one handed but grabbing on to it with a second hand increases damage. The hammer can also trigger Ma’ats Light every few seconds, healing yourself for a very small amount when you attack a target.

Trinket: Book of Ma’at. A holy book containing up to 3 tabbed scriptures at one time. The book must be held in the off hand (pages could be flipped using left and right on the touch pad of the controller holding the book) while the hammer is raised in the air to charge it with the holy word. Each scripture can be charged up to 4 seconds with increased effectiveness based on the amount of time spent channeling (queued by haptic feedback building up in intensity in the hammer hand) the holy power is then fired/activated by pressing the trigger (targeted scriptures would allow you to point the hammer at an ally or enemy and highlight them before firing a’la warrior charge)
Some Scripture ideas: (These names are silly placeholders. I would personally love to see this as an opportunity to dive more into the religion of the mother and have the scriptures be things like in the Bible e.g “Matthew 8:16” “Leviticus 2:11”, etc (I don’t actually know the Bible, no idea if these are legit)

• Blood of the Mother: sacrifice a portion of your own lifeblood to heal a single target for a large amount equaling between 50-200% of the amount sacrificed

• Fist of Ma’at: Bless your hammer with holy fire to smite your enemies. For the next 10 seconds, your 2 handed attacks deal a small amount of aoe damage and generate increased threat.

• The Mother of All: for the next 15 seconds, light of Ma’at heals for a larger amount and also heals all nearby allies in an aoe that is larger based on how long you charged it

• Mother’s Wrath: Charge your hammer for a massive blow allowing you to slam it down and deal small aoe damage, knocking back enemies, and shield allies around you (aoe, knockback range, and shield amount based on charge time)

Super Mother’s Chosen: select a target Ally and link your health pools together. Damage dealt to either of you is shared so you take the same percentage of damage. During this time, your scriptures charge fully in 2 seconds instead of 4

Conclusion: would obviously need more scriptures like the museteer has orbs, but I really need to be going to bed right now, so if you have any ideas I would love to hear them! The idea is that this class would serve as a tankier healer that can do some off-tanking or maybe even main tank smaller dungeons. With the mechanic of requiring both hands on the hammer to generate threat, but one hand on the book to use healing, I hope to avoid a too powerful jack of all trades. Mechanically, you would have to know your role before beginning a fight.

Let me know thoughts!

4 Likes

I, too would like to see a pally, but I’m not sure I’d want something so complicated. The two-handed attacks sound interesting, especially if the pally doesn’t get a shield like warriors.

However, I think the scripture effects and the Ma’at’s Light effect would be better off placed on to combos like the Warrior’s abilities. I’m not sure how you’d implement flipping through pages to choose a scripture if you’re holding a mace in your other hand. I do like the book idea for a trinket at first, but the more I think about it, I’d rather see the book as the weapon or trinket for a priest class.

The ultimate is a bit lackluster for one reason: as DPS or healer, your job is, in part, to avoid damage, and if the tank is skilled, and the DPS let the tank build aggro, the tank will be the only one taking damage, save for AOE attacks that the other party members should be dodging anyway. So, linking health pools would only be useful in a limited number of situations where either you’ve lost aggro, or there’s some otherwise unavoidable incoming damage to another party member, whereas the existing ults are more universal to any fight by either boosting output or mitigating damage for the respective classes.

That said, I could see a pally in a support situation where a warrior tanks, and the pally uses ult to mitigate damage on the tank, but a melee pally would be out of range from other party members, so the heals he produced by his abilities and/or combos would only benefit the tank. This would possibly void the musketeer’s role in the potential party, or open it up to DPS and limited heal and support, but DPS wasn’t the intended role for Muskie, and it likely never will be, considering its underwhelming output compared to Ranger or Runemage.

So, in my opinion, and tl;dr, keep the mace and the option for two-handed, but let’s brainstorm the abilities, or let the devs brainstorm, and see what other options we could present for the Holy Protector.

Thank you for the in depth response! I agree on most points.

In regard to the scripture effects/Ma’ats light going into combos, I’d hate to step on the Warrior’s toes with that one. The idea behind the scriptures was to create a way to “cast spells” while also taking advantage of the already in place system of inventory-based spell management, and to avoid crazy flailing of your weapon (the way combos do for warriors… for the most part :)). That being said, I’m open to suggestions. I like the idea of holding the hammer above your head to “charge” it with some sort of effect. How those effects are chosen could be a number of ways. Gems embedded in the hammer? Holy Relics? Blessings?

from your explanation, I agree that the first part of the ultimate may be a bit lackluster as an ultimate ability, though I really do like the effect. I have always liked the idea of a support that “heals” by mitigation rather than traditional heals. Perhaps that needs to be moved to a scripture.

Regarding “only healing the tank with the range of some of his abilities” I think that is fine honestly. In a standard dungeon group, the paladin should be able to replace or supplement the musketeer as the main healer, just as runemage and ranger are effectively interchangeable for raw DPS. That being said, there has to be something that each brings to the table that the other doesn’t just like the aforementioned classes (I.E. Polymorph). My thought for this class is that it would be more about mitigating/absorbing damage to compliment their small self heal. Perhaps more ally buffs whereas the musketeer has more debuffs. Because of this, in a raid format or world boss format, it would be beneficial to have both. It might even be worth it in a dungeon. I have done plenty of dungeon runs with 2 musketeers, and I like not being FORCED into the cookie cutter 1 tank, 1 heals, 3 dps format.

For the ultimate, you could target an ally to share health pools, or target an enemy and Taunts them and any damage done to you is reflected to them for a short time while doubling threat from that damage. Targeting done in a similar way to warrior’s charge, hold trigger, point hammer, let go to activate.

I think I might actually be in agreement with Cowboy that the damage share is not as universally useful as the other supers, and I think that is a good rule. Supers should be always useful, so that the choice of whether or not to use them at a certain time becomes a more difficult choice.
I am a big fan of the how flashy the Rune Mage’s super is and would like to have something equally as impactful mechanically and viscerally. I’m actually thinking the Mother’s Wrath scripture I wrote above would be a good candidate for this. An AOE knockback/shield sounds like a fantastic tool to have in group play for those “oh shit” moments, and for solo play, added survivability is always good plus the knockback could give you time to get off another scripture before the enemy comes back within melee range.

That being said, I still love the idea of a damage mitigation tool that uses your own health pool, and I’m intrigued by the idea of a sort of “shield” that causes an enemies attacks on you to generate MORE threat.

Make the trinket the damage mitigator. Throw it at teammates and it has an AOE effect like the Musketeer’s orbs. That way there’s tradeoffs and skill involved. If you miss, the ally takes too much damage. If you hit all your party with the AOE, you may take a lot of damage for the duration.

I was suggesting with a friend yesterday how a paladin would be cool as a healer that has to touch your ally with his hands to heal, instead of casting. But this is way more elaborate Good work!

Thanks Bazooka!

@Cowboy That’s an idea. Maybe the trinket creates a sort of damage sharing zone? It might not be able to kill you, but it can get you dangerously low if you screw it up. I struggle though without my idea of scriptures above I feel the class lacks the complexity/skill ceiling that currently defines the Orbus classes. I currently play a Rune Mage, and to me the fact that you have to actually practice and not just level up a skill to do more damage is the epitome of what a VRMMO can be. That being said, I think the Rune Mage is meant to be the hardest to master, and I think it should remain as the top of the scale at least for now. A healer a bit more involved and interesting than the musketeer is pretty much what I’m going for here.

Maybe the heal on attack effect “triggers” by you holding the hammer above your head, at which point a sort of ray of light creates a “path” on the target in front of you. The heal then scales in power based on how accurately you followed the path with your weapon. Maybe it heals allies around you as well if you wield it one handed, and generates more threat if you wield it 2 handed. I want some way to slow attacks down with the hammer so you don’t see people flailing their massive hammer/mace around as folks tend to do in VR games.

Skill ceiling, yes. Complexity, no. None of the Orbus classes are mechanically complex, including and especially Runemage. There are 4 common mechanics to Ranger, Muskie, and Warrior: basic attack, ability/combo, trinket, and super. Runemage has 2: spell and super, and despite the size of the rune library and the complexity of the runes, mechanically the class is simple.

With the proposed Paladin, there are: single hand attack, two hand attack, trinket with 4 options (not overly complex if it replaces abilities/orbs interaction mechanics), and super. I guess I’d be satisfied if the interaction with the holy words was simplified like Ranger arrows or Muskie orbs, instead of being a complex trinket. Trinkets on current classes don’t draw focus from the fight, but rather instantly supplement it.

I want an appropriate balance of mechanics, skill, and decision-making in Paladin, and I think we’re on the right track. I hate to criticize too much without providing a lot of alternate suggestions, too, but believe me I’ve been racking my brain to try to develop alternatives.

lol no problem, I totally get that. I’m doing the same thing trying to come up with new interesting ways to make a fun and engaging class in VR. New territory and its fun to think about this stuff.

So I see what you are saying, but the mechanical complexity of Rune mage comes from the spell effects/interactions. The process of casting the spells, while “simple” is half the battle. using the spells in conjunction with one another is where the complexity comes from. For isntance, using a polymorph on one target, stacking affliction on your second target, slowing with a frostbolt, and following up with an icelance. If not dead, maybe at this point you need to knock them back. Though the Rune Mage does not have a trinket or ability, their method of casting could be likened to having multiple different basic attacks or abilities. The bottom line for rune mage is that its all about making choices in the heat of combat of what you need to be casting next.

For the other Classes I think you are oversimplifying them as well.
Ranger: multiple arrows to choose from with a wide range of effects combined with each one being able to be charged before firing makes for a variety of choices that have to be made. On top of this, the range bonus indicator adds a little extra to make those who are really paying attention to their position stand out.

Warrior: in addition to 4 combos, charge, shield bash, and horn, the shield in itself is a fun piece of mechanics. Essentially a second health bar that you get to manage.

Musketeer: IMO the most lacking class in orbus. They still have a trinket that has 2 possible effects, 4 possible special abilities, and the added effect that they can use an orb to shoot their turret in certain situations for additional effect.

I guess the main theme here is that all these characters have something they have to manage in combat and this requires them to make choices that ultimately result in more interesting game play. My favorite part is that none of these resources are mana bars :slight_smile: but it sure makes coming up with other original and engaging methods hard.

Yes! I enjoy a healer role in RPG’s but I’m underwhelmed by Muskie. I still enjoy it, but playing it does feel the least complex of all the existing classes… Which may be a good thing since in most RPG’s healers tend to take the most heat for wipes. I’m glad that hasn’t been the case so far in Orbus, though. Everyone is so friendly and understanding.

You make excellent points with regard to the complexity of ability interactions, but the point I was trying to make is that the theme for each class’s physical play trends toward your primary weapon being the main focus of combat, while trinkets and supers are supplementary and less complex than those attack/ability interactions. Your hands need to be able to quickly and fluidly interact with the trinket so that the main focus can return to combat, and stopping to select a Holy Word from a book in the middle of a fight has extended opportunity costs, since time has to be taken to grab the trinket, choose the correct Word, and implement it in combat. Ability interactions with Ranger, Muskie and Warrior flow with the basic attacks, so why would they make Paladin stop swinging his hammer for a few seconds trying to choose the right Word in combat when a party member could die half a second before he’s even ready to use it?

I guess I’m looking for fluidity and synergy in the play mechanics. And that’s the challenge: make Paladin unique and fun, complex yet fluid, but at the same time don’t rob the mechanics too much from other classes so that it just feels like a copy of Warrior with different effects.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.