New Player Questions

For starters, this is my first time on this forum. I can’t believe another company went with the same forum system as tree of savior. -vomits profusely-

Anyways, I have new player questions! Thank you in advance for any help!

1. Pushback 2, Frostbolt 3, Fireball 3, and Arcane Bomb. I’ve seen some Gifs for Arcane Bomb, and I’ve read the popular PDF’s and imgur albums on casting runes. However, I’ve never been able to get PB2 to work. Arcane Bomb only seems to work like 1/20 tries. I’ve gotten Frost3 to work once, and I’m not sure how. And Fire3 seems to never work when drawn seemingly perfectly, only sometimes when I do it sloppily though.

Can someone upload new “more in depth” visual guides for how to do these? The few youtube videos I’ve found are not helping.

2. I’ve heard that people tend to use Discord over the in-game communication system due to inconsistency issues. I’ve personally had to restart my game (as has my wife) because microphones randomly stopped working. Is there a way to make it more consistent, a computer setting or in-game setting or something else?

3. I see on this page; http://orbusvr.wikia.com/wiki/Future_Disciplines That there might possibly be other classes added in the near future. Has there been any discussion about them from the devs?

Thanks again!

Stll have not been able to do Pushback 2, mastererd frost 3 after maaaaaany days of exercise, fire 3 is still finnicky for me.
The mage is all about getting back to school and try, try and try again, once you get it once it will get better and better.

Personally I gave up on following @Decoy gif, that guy is a wizard in rl I swear.

As for sound, got no input, I use in-game stuff and in-game msg when sound **** up.
Usually fixed when me and team re-logs.

Roadmap, only time will tell, or maybe one of the veterans.

Good Luck to ya

1 Like
  1. Pushback 2 is a pain in most mage’s backsides (98% of em’). Not really a spell you should work on until you reach level 20, and even then it’s never used (doesn’t work against most level 20 mobs that one might encounter). Frost 3 is a good one to learn for certain circumstances, but I personally rarely use it in combat compared to frost 2 unless in dire circumstances. Fireball 3 I use less than frost 3. Cast time to damage output isn’t worth it when a crit icelance can do the same damage. Arcane missile is good once you reach level 20 if you have chosen the affliction talent, as it adds DoT’s to your spells and you can spread them using arcane missile, which can be devastating.
    Overall, spellcasting is a matter of muscle memory. Once you get it down, it will only become easier.

2. Haven’t heard anything to fix it. Discord is just a nice place for groups to communicate in text and audio formats that is free and open to anyone to use for the most part. Toggling voice in-game should reset your audio transmission rather than fully restarting your game, but I assume you tried that already.

3. No chat on future classes from the devs in a long time. I think the last time they said anything, they said that they might add a priest/cleric type healer to accommodate for those who want to heal but don’t want to use a gun. I don’t care enough to find the comment tho :slight_smile:

1. Spells will take time to master. Keep on trying it and you will get better. You can try https://discord.gg/4H7G3k for a start.

2. Discord has some things that OrbusVR doesn’t allow. Like talking to many people when not in distance range that is more easier and reliable than using the compass. Also talking to people who are not in OrbusVR also.

3. Classes might be added but not any actual plan at the moment that I know of.

On the “spells take time to master” part, it seems to me (after watching videos of skilled runemages in action) more of an issue that the learning part is figuring out how NOT to draw the indicated runes.

In other words, as far as i can see the indicated runes and the recognized forms just aren’t the same thing.

I could ofcourse be way wrong. Regardless that is my observations on that so far.

It’s mosly about proportions and connecting dots, but allso figure out what is good for you, remember, you are doing 2D in a 3D world (depth)

The bigger you do, the more bend it gets

This video might help. It’s a video I recorded a few months back of me chain casting pushback 2. It just takes some practice.

A friend of mine sent me this for explosion This is the best way that I can do it without getting 50/50 ray.

For fire Three be sure that you are making your side circles pretty big.
Pb2 is a pain. I have one friend that can do it with his eyes closed lol but most people have trouble with it. It’s really not used much past lving. I would focus on affliction 2 and polymorph more than pb2.
Frost 3 can be useful but I can’t give you any tips because I only get it like 1 out of 8 :see_no_evil:

While i agree to some extent, i also disagree at the same time.

If you go watch f ex some of alphabets videos from a runemage PoV, you can see that a lot of the runes drawn are pretty far from the “original” symbol. Which basically means that while you can practice and learn to draw the runes on a plane and very accurate, it is probably far from the optimal way to do it with the way that rune recognition works.

Agree, but I do take heed to the advice of learning the proper way first, and THEN experiment and see what you get away with… with that said, learning ”shortcuts” is on my ”to-do”-list :+1:

To be quite honest i would rather like to see the recognition becoming better on recognizing “correct” symbols and filtering away “shortcuts”. But that may just be me. I find it somewhat strange that a class in this game currently has so much of a “learning curve” on how to draw the symbols/shortcuts to the symbols in a way the game recognizes, rather than having most of the skill related to that class being draw chains and memorizing these.

While the whole Harry Potter style of learning the “correct gesture” aka drawing has some appeal to it, i feel that this is more an issue with the recognition than an actual intended mechanic.

But yeah, again i might be the only one feeling that way.

Nah I do agreeto an extent, find shortcuts to be nice, but I feel that a drawn rune should award more dmg than ”cheating” with your magic.

In all ”lore” and fantasy books, magic is always taken carefull and cautious or the mage goes ”Boom” one way or another.

leviosa

But because of how the system works it is difficult to make adjustments. First there is the player base that has grown up with the system. But mechanically there is one problem with making adjustments.

If you make it more strict, such that shortcuts don’t work. Then spell casting becomes harder, even when not even doing shortcuts. The ability to do shortcuts are somewhat a reflection towards how much wiggle room correct spells are.

Making the system more accessible, and hence easier would make more shortcuts. In fact there are times when you are casting one spell but it becomes another. This is because there is too much overlap in the wiggle room of the spell. So making it easier for new players to pick up would end up in causing wrong spell casting spells.

I took my post into my own thread(Rune recognition), felt like Thread got hijacked a wee bit by slightly unrelating discussion.

I see what you are saying Neo_Zain, but i don’t agree that better recognition automatically means more overlap. It’s more an issue of being hard to code (while being efficient as well). Pretty much the same reason that CAPTCHA checks exist to tell bots apart from humans. For us it is easy to see, but to code good image recognition isn’t.

One thing that could maybe enhance the system to both be more precise on recognition, removing some of the (weird) shortcuts as well as lessen the learning curve would be to draw on a fixed plane rather than free 3D. This has its own problems too though.

do you want the same old, 10 old players or a 100 new players?

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.