New Player's Guide to What's Out There

Since there’s always an influx of new players around a free weekend, I thought I’d share some invaluable resources and some general tips that I’ve accumulated over my couple of months playing.

[Updated to include all commented suggestions as of Aug. 6, 2018]

Beginner’s Info and Getting Started Guides:

Some general notes (will update with more, time permitting)

• The unofficial discord is a great place to start. It’s the main hub for people outside the game as there isn’t an official discord server. There’s an abundance of players willing to help out with quests, leveling, and plenty of people to meet and start your journey with or find along the way.

• Explore the menu, especially to find your preferred settings for movement, both laterally and for turning. There’s a number of options to toy with and it’s nice to know what choices you have.

• Several people have had trouble putting away weapons their first time out and it can be extremely frustrating. To sheath a weapon or off hand item (arrows/shields), reach the hand it is in behind the corresponding shoulder until you feel a vibration, then click the grab button. This will sheath your weapon and you can repeat the process to bring it out again. Warriors and rangers use both hands for combat so be aware that you wont be able to pull up your menu with an off hand if you have both equipped.

• The runemage class isn’t broken, it’s just somewhat unforgiving for new players. It takes several hours for each spell to get to the point where you can cast it reliably. A lot of spells have shortcuts you can use, but some are substantially harder to cast with consistently so pursuing the basic rune usually helps to start off. I won’t link them all here, bet there are a variety of youtube tutorials for aspiring runemages.

• Be social! The community is fantastic and meeting people opens a lot of opportunities to find levelling companions, guilds, and gain access to a lot of unique information and strategies. Look out for discord links for groups you like to hang out with, most guilds have a dedicated discord often with public channels.

• Be aware of having an open mic if you aren’t using discord to communicate. You might surprise people running by if you’re yelling or playing music with your mic input at the normal max.

Some more advanced stuff (has spoilers but some people like that kinda thing)

Any experienced players who have something to add, please do!

10 Likes

I’d add don’t be afraid to talk to people around you! This comunity is pretty amazing. I love showing new people around and I’ll be hanging out in Highstep waiting for people to play with. Be sure that you look over the code of conduct. The deves understand rivals and conflict but they don’t tolerate bullies.

Also lots of guilds use discord to talk to each other. If you try to talk to someone and they seem not to reply give them a sec. They may have to mute their discord ect.

Lastly some things social habbits that are nice for you to know going in.
When you have to afk mute yourself. Also try not to leave your toon in a high traffic area. Like directly in front of the player house. The same thing with ports. Try to port somewhere out of the way so that you don’t catch anyone in it.

Be nice to our ears lol. Having an open Mic is great and makes the game fun but you are going to kind of annoy people if you are blasting music in the background.

7 Likes

Here is a better map I found.

Ok, what in the hell is that little area on the south end, with what looks like a world tree?

Yeah I had the same confusion…
(I will be running a test to see if it exists…)

3 Likes

Welp it doesn’t exist :confused:

tenor

a basic spell breakdown

1 Like

“This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.”

Should be included in this list :slight_smile:

Don’t forget to add the tip of playing on low settings to save those frames

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.