New ranger talent, which one?

mmh…have to test it…but when I got impatient when I didn´t hit my charged poison arrow and startet with a charged piercing it almost never works out good because hitting the poison late, when the mob is near, just doesn´t give it time to “bleed”!
In contrast when I hit a mob from a distance with a charged poison the bleed is massive until it reaches me!
I don´t know how the initial damage is but the bleeding is really significant!
Like a pink mob is already very low when it reaches me even if I miss all my shots after the starting one!

What I notice though is that not every hit is the same! Sometimes the bleed (or also damage for piercing) is very low. It´s almost like there is like a “minor” hit box saying “oh, you juuust hit the mob but not good”…but I´m pretty sure there is only one way to hit a mob as of now and no different hit boxes.
So @Riley_D …does charged shot work with DoT ticks of poison shot now? I have the feeling it does…
Also what´s up with that “not so good hits” from a distance?
Thank you!!

Absolutely, do what works for you. And what I said was accurate at one point in time, it may not be anymore. But now I’m certainly going to test it again because I want to take some time to figure out the best way to optimize DPS with the new talents.

Anyways! I’m not trying to tell you what to do, I’m just telling you about my experience on RNG and soloing against star level creatures. Haha be careful though cuz it could be level 12 or level 20 if it shows up as a Star! This is of course not a blanket statement, I just mean to say that there’s nothing beyond star so if you’re level 5 for example, you’ll have no idea if it’s level 8 or way higher than that. But a few wipes and repairs is a small price to pay in exchange for what you learn and the gratification of taking down things that show as being way out of your league. My motto is, if you’ve got 2 HP left, that’s 1 more than you need to be alive so take down the toughest things you can and get that exp!

1 Like

You’re right about that! And with ranger I already I could take out some white star mobs surprisingly “easy”! A thing impossible with my warrior…hope though it will be better as a berserker :sunglasses: will test that tomorrow :smiley:

1 Like

About the charged shot not increasing the damage of the poison DoT?

I ended up going with the precision tree all the way down (only level 18), and I definitely noticed the DPS boost. Later, I will try to the rapid tree for comparison, but I spent most of my time last night getting used to the rhythm that is required for the precision tree.

My main gripe with the precision tree is that it feels too much like a rhythm based game and less like I’m trying to be a precise ranger/archer. My suggestion is to remove or significantly reduce the decay after the bar charges to full. In theory, if you are shooting at the max precise times, this wouldn’t hinder your DPS at all. If you are taking a bit more time, you also wouldn’t receive the penalty of either less damage or waiting longer to take a shot. This shouldn’t provide an unfair advantage to precision tree either - if your natural cadence is at 115% of the time it takes the bar to fill, you might be putting out less overall DPS (more time between shots) but each individual shot wouldn’t be penalized.

I’d be interested if this was already considered and rules out for some reason as well. This change would give the precision tree a bit more control of the DPS output. It’d also feel more natural to weave in charged shots, whereas right now, if it’s started at an awkward time, then I could wait seemingly forever to line up both a charged and precise shot.

1 Like

I also have to get used to that rhythm game. I would like it more,I think, if the “rhythm” would start with the first arrow fired and not already if it is just notched…but I guess one would lose some benefits then?
That leads to a question for me: optimal start now would be to shoot a charged special arrow already in the rhythm, or not? Does everything, I mean charged, special AND rhythm all add up together then?

Great questions. I haven’t done real scientific test dummy tests, but I assumed it did, and it felt like It was working that way when I was grinding the bluetails right outside the mines last night.

Your charged and special are constant damage. They aren’t modified by the rhythm, just the number of globes you’ve acquired. The bonus damage applies to the underlying basic attack damage that adds into that charge and special, so the sum looks like this:
(1+.07 * # of Globes + Rune Bonuses)(Charge + Pierce + Basic * Timing Multiplier)

Ranger was already a rhythm game, as damage was capped to max out at 3 shots or second. It’s just a slower rhythm. Also note that 1) everyone has a slightly varying natural cadence, and 2) a slower cadence lowers the skill cap, and the whole point is that you’re supposed to be able to aim and fire within the time allotted. If you’re slower, you’re punished, and that’s the way it should be. The slight discomfort you feel from having to aim and fire at a pace you’re not currently comfortable with will fade as you improve.

1 Like

I got the feeling that my tactics I used till now…which means I start with a charged poison arrow, didn’t work as well as I used to…
Do you start with poison too?

Just a heads up for the discussion, Riley put out a small patch this morning fixing the Rapidity talent as it wasn’t doing quite as much damage as it was supposed to. By about 10%, he said.

While soloing, I didn’t notice any major difference as to which one I start with. I tried both, but my normal rotation is to start with poison. I didn’t notice any regressions as long as I was pretty close to the precision timings.

1 Like

I had already planned to test the numbers this evening when I got home, will be sure to watch the numbers. I’ll report back if I see anything amiss.

1 Like

That would be awesome!

From what i can tell Rapidity is balanced with Precision, and Globe Master is (kinda) balanced with Overcharge. @Mathieu_D I noticed my damage values for Overcharged Charge + Piercing Shot didn’t seem to add up correctly to 15%•5=75% damage bonus, so maybe I should PM you or @Riley_D with the numbers I saw in testing? I’m not sure about what damage values the Overcharge bonus is applied to.

Overcharge only applies to the Charged Shot itself, it does’t boost any ability arrows that you are using at that time. You can always PM me your findings though if you want and I’ll take a look.

I can confirm overcharge is working properly, the 70% buff only applies to the charged shot, not on the piercing arrow, also Riley confirmed it’s 14% per globe instead of 15% as the wiki says.

Ah, I didn’t see the adjustment in the patch notes. Then yes, Overcharge is working properly for me as well. Thanks @Shiki

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.