Obsidian Problem

Ever since the initial launch, OrbusVR has been a small community. As of late, the community has been growing larger as more people get locked into their houses and revert to VR for socializing. Before this occurrence, the community was small enough that everything was at least stable. However, growing communities consume many more resources. Due to the increase in players, resources such as obsidian have become nearly impossible to obtain from the cave. This is not only because of a large surge of players, but also because of overpowered players exploiting the economy. With everyone locked indoors, people have been able to commit countless hours of time to the game. Some of these players even go as far as working to harvest each and every piece of obsidian from the mines to pawn it off to Mishka who has been employing people to ransack the mines dry all day long. Since obsidian takes so long to respawn and only spawns in small quantities, his 4+ players have been able to harvest so much that nobody can get some during the active hours. From watching a surveillance account that I streamed to my phone, I have watched players pass through the mines about every 7 minutes on average.

Before you say, “you can just camp it yourself,” you actually can’t unless you want to spend a many hours standing in the same cave. This is because there’s less than 8 veins of obsidian and each one takes about 20+ minutes to respawn. With the constant flow of other people camping it, it is near impossible to harvest enough for quests like Luxury Mount III (LM3). As for new players trying to complete the Essence Miner quest line (EMQ), obtaining obsidian for the single quest will take hours of persistent camping for the single quest.

Some people have argued that you can just buy it from Mishka as he resells it for even more than he buys it. First off, I don’t support monopolies and neither should anyone else. Second off, he sells them for 1000 dram a piece. That’s 2 of your daily quests spent on a single piece of a resource that you should’ve been able to harvest yourself. Considering these quests take quite a few pieces of obsidian, with the LM3 quest requiring 60, that’s more dram than your dailies will cover for the EMQ and a couple weeks worth of dram for the LM3 all going to the same multimillionaire who is monopolizing on hard to obtain resources. Players shouldn’t have to spend all their hard earned savings from weeks of work on a single resource. And with how much other quest items cost, with the most expensive being Salmon Accent Dye at 10.000 dram a piece, most players can’t afford to blow 60.000 on obsidian.

Fixing this problem shouldn’t be too hard and most likely won’t take too much time to resolve itself once enacted. The first and easiest solution I can see is making obsidian spawn much faster. From my surveillance that I’ve been watching for over an hour, I’ve only seen the same vein spawn twice, so my assumption is it takes closer to 30 minutes for a single piece of obsidian to respawn, though others have said they estimate 20 minutes. Speeding this time up to 7-10 minutes (3 times the respawn rate) should make it abundant enough that players can obtain obsidian despite Mishka’s minions hogging all the obsidian. A second alternative is adding more veins; although, this does not seem like it’d be as effective as the minions would just be harvesting more per respawn period while new players would just have to get lucky and walk in on that period.

On another note, anyone opposing Mishka has a chance to be killed by his minions. While surveying the caves, one of his minions was using other monsters to attack me despite me not being in pvp. He then proceeded to block my shots, so I couldn’t defend myself. I’ll touch up on this in a later report.

1 Like

If they ransack it, that’s on them. I just tell them I’ll buy any and all Obsidian off of them. It’s not like I’m getting people to camp it out at certain times, I’m just offering to buy it off them because I’m always low :slight_smile:

I know there are more because I’ve gone in and gotten over ten in a single run before.

Up until a day or so ago, there were like, half a dozen things of Obsidian on the Auction House. It’s not like I’m the only one who has Obsidian, I’m just the one most people go to to buy it.

Again, I’m not monopolizing it, and I really only ever go to the cave once or twice a day.

I already went through this with you on the Discord, and I already stated it, but I’ll state it again. All I tell people is that I’ll buy their Obsidian off of them. I don’t have any payroll or list of people I send out. People ask me how to make money in this game, and I tell them I’ll buy any and all Obsidian, with a bonus for full stacks.

I am far more powerful than I thought. I must be like a mob boss or something, because I haven’t sent anybody out there to kill you. It may be in response to the stink you made in the Discord and others messing with you for being so accusatory and straight up rude, but whatever beef you have against me is misplaced. I keep telling you: if you want the Obsidian, I encourage you to go get it. I show up in that cave for maybe 30 minutes a day. I don’t send goons after you, I don’t send minions to mine Obsidian.

4 Likes

I don’t “employ” people, I tell them I’ll buy any and all Obsidian they have. If they go and mine it like crazy, that’s on them.

Regarding defending the stall? Rick put over 300k on the stall I had before and took it. Somebody took it from him, and he started bidding on mine again. I told him I’d give him 100k if he’d go for the next one. That’s not illegal at all. I really like my spot because it’s the closest to the Player House. I’m willing to pay him to go elsewhere and let me keep mine. If you don’t shop at my stall anymore, that’s fine. And again, I can’t stress this enough, I only spend about 30 minutes a day when I play in that cave

1 Like

Do what you want really… 300k is way overpriced but 1k for a catfish is also (750 still is). I usually stop buying from any stall who seems to try and ripoff players, and bribes to undercut the normal biddings via Auction House are not a cool move either, imo, might not be illegal but definitly circumventing the mechanics in place.

Ah btw he went “elsewhere” kicking me out, for same ridiculous amounts :wink:

Also, another thing you may not have considered is that I’m not getting much Obsidian over the past month either. Plenty of people are going after this rare material. I haven’t had a full stack in a long while, but sure, let’s blame me.

Lol I’m not having a stack either, not half-a-stack and I only use it for my most urgent runetiles … I wondered who was taking it all lately, I get some if I login every hour but still, I don’t sell ores, never did but I am watching the market and the current prices are just a rip-off.

So yah perhaps this is a dev-issue after all to put some more obsidian spawn points in there.

I’m used to having 50+ at any given time. I’m under 20 at the moment. With several guilds getting more players into end game, more players joining the game, and people going after the Luxury Mount, it’s no surprise more people are after Obsidian seeing as how it’s a rare resource. I don’t see this as a problem, especially because it is such a hot commodity.

You see the funny thing is that daHamm literally asked if I was on your payroll. For saying you don’t have a payroll, you sure have a lot of people saying that you have a payroll. Also the fact that you’re buying obsidian for such a good price that it makes people harvest it to the point that the caves are empty all day long shows that it goes beyond just simple purchases. As for getting 10+ in one run, that only works for PvPers who get extra nodes. Considering your minions are mostly from top guilds that run high enough level shards to get the best gear in game, I don’t think anyone else would be able to survive a trip through the PvP guarded mines regardless of their skill.

With PvP off, I have seen at most 8 obsidian in the mine at any given time.

Anyways it sounds like we’re all getting to the same conclusion here. The player base is expanding rapidly and the world isn’t generating enough resources. We can bicker and argue all day or we could team up in convincing the devs to adjust resource spawn rates to the player count.

1 Like

I checked the cave twice today and got 11 Obsidian, and some linstantium which is now completely worthless, obsidian is just how the linstantium used to be in old orbus imo, there only used to be 7 spawn points for that which would also share spawn points with blue moon spore which made it valuable and farmed often by lots of people

As for Miskha buying it off people and selling it for more, that is totally normal in MMO economics, if everything is as easy to get as the stuff in reward chests then we will be flooded in supplies and everything will be worthless

4 Likes

He was messing with you because of the nonsense you started on the Discord channel.

Except that those people AREN’T bringing it to me. I’m nearly out of my stock. Again, believe what you want, but I’m not monopolizing that Obsidian. I’m running low as well because I have next to nothing come in from that cave

That’s…you don’t…that’s not how… Oh boy.

I sent nobody there. I don’t have people guarding it. Most of the people mining lately have been unaffiliated or WizardBois (MageBoys?) or a guild along that line. I don’t know them.

The Obsidian isn’t my issue here, it’s you putting me on blast for something you have no understanding of. You’ve created an image of me in your head that has no basis in reality. That’s what my issue is.

3 Likes

Actually, you know what, I’m gonna go ahead and embrace what you’ve created for me. I’m the new mob boss. Bow down before me. I am all powerful.

4 Likes

There are exactly 17 nodes in crystal cave, which all have about a 50% chance of being obsidian, otherwise they’re listanium.

1 Like

Thanks that’s very helpful information! Glad to finally have some helpful feedback.

There are two parts to this thread, which I’ll respond to briefly.

One is about the low amount of Obsidian for the player population now that there’s more players online. We’ll take your feedback in consideration and evaluate it. If we determine that there’s not enough supply, we can modify how you get it. Thank you.

The other part is complaining about specific people and calling them out directly. Not only is this not allowed via the forum rules, there’s nothing in the in-game rules about spending a lot of time farming a resource, or paying dram to buy the resource from somebody else (which is effectively what paying someone to farm a resource for you is.)

I’m locking this thread now as it was breaking the rules to begin with, not including the giant derail that followed.

8 Likes