Oculus Quest - invisible fence and rain

While I agree that they made a crazy good job I still think there’s always room for improvement. Most of the bugs I notified have been corrected between the last time I played/noted them and now. Devs find new ways to push the Quest further. Comparing it to a PC is a lack of understanding of the actual hardware. 4gb of ram in a PC vs a phone vs a dedicated gaming platform is different.
And I’m not saying it to insult you or anything. It’s just that the Quest is made to play games while the PC is constantly multitasking and run way heavier things. Quest will never be a modern PC. But it can be optimized and it’s all using the same hardware and running the same softwares so it’s a known environment with much more control over the outcome.

I’d suggest you to read more on certain games that were ported to the Quest from PC. Maybe include Vulkan and VR in your research. There’s a lot of good read on that if you’re passionate about the technology.

With that said - the 3 main issues I had seems to be patched already. I am sorry to have posted it too late i was sure to have experienced the same issues last week but it seems to be resolved this week.

Thumbs up to the team :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agree with everything you’ve said.

This quote motivated me to post some real talk about the quest. It’s amazing what Oculus have managed to pull out of 4gb of ram and a 2.4 ghz snapdragon processor. And the Oculus funded games can get some real crazy efficiency out of the headset.
We have to keep in mind that they not only have higher than average VR industry funding to do it, those teams also have the time to consult with the engineers that designed the hardware. This team doesn’t have all those luxuries and have done a really awesome job with the constraints they have.

I’m not a software dev, but I’ve worked as the technical business interface on quite a few software related projects. I’m very cognizant of how much work it all takes.

2 Likes

Great point on Oculus funding helps.
I think we cannot complain about the quality when we got it at launch and no other comparable game have been released on Quest. They’ve set the bar high for the other contenders and I am very happy with the game I have. When I decided I’d get the quest never I would’ve though that OrbusVR would run on it.

I meant by other players, not the devs.

1 Like

Well … the PC build is better, and the Quest build offers limitations that PC users don’t experience.

Even if it is amazing that Orbus can run on the quest at all, it still not as good as being hooked to PC.

It’s great that the Quest can handle more than the cheap phone VR, but vr devs now have to focus on re-building games to run on Quest instead of all hands on deck creating new vr experiences. (From my understanding)

Started playing this game with a Wireless Vive Pro and when my partner tried it, it was now ‘her VR headset’ :slight_smile: having to figure out what to do to get my Orbus fix, I purchased a Quest and had very low expectations. As a software dev; impressive doesn’t really say enough.

However, I then had the luxury of connecting the Quest to my gaming rig with a GTX1080 and…

I’m not going back. :stuck_out_tongue: The limited mobility is more than accounted for in depth and LOD. I now know what was in my way the whole time. That damn fence! I can totally see myself taking the Quest to a friends place and having them get a taste, but the real sell for me, is how a standalone device can operate in 2 ways depending on the situation. I don’t like facebook; but I can’t foresee myself without an Oculus product going forward. They just got it right.

What fence is it, if its possible to grab a screenshot of the fence i can look into it more

It’s one of the fences used for the last stand world event, when the event isn’t going on.

It’s the second fence for the event, the one closest to highsteppe

As you can see, you can’t see it or teleport where it is supposed to be

Another Quest-only issue, if you hold your journal while moving this happens:

You get a glowing yellow page appear, totally in the wrong place

Correct, that happens with me too

Also this has been big news in Quest news lately:

I’d assume that technology will not be available for this model, it would most likely be saved for the new model. That is, if they decide to invest that tech for the Quest.

Exactly. That is an experiment and by the time they get it right it will be time to launch Quest 2

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.