Official Community Wiki is Now Available

When you visit the Wiki are you logged in? In the top right corner does it show your display name or does it say Not logged in?

Hm, neither – looks like this:

And just to be sure when you go to https://OrbusVR.com on the top-right you’re logged in?

Correct:

Weird. Okay well something apparently isn’t working on the single sign on that was working when I tested it. I’ll take a look tomorrow and hopefully sort it out. Thanks for testing it for me!

Actually go ahead and try going to the wiki one more time now and see if it logs you in this time.

:thumbsup: Good to go!

Request for whenever you have time: could you install/activate the Cite extension? https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Cite

Yep no problem it’s installed now. Let me know if there are any other common extensions you want me to install for you. Thanks!

2 Likes

Okay, I’ve finished migrating content to the official wiki site (dropping some of the ‘rich media’ in favor of keeping the pages light.) It could still use a lot of love in terms of consistency of formatting and tone, fixing grammatical issues, and so on, so I hope everyone will feel free to jump in over the coming months and spiff it up! :man_with_turban:

4 Likes

Nice! Thanks for doing that. I’ve added a link to the Wiki to the homepage as well.

You guys rock, thanks for the work!

I’ve added a basic About page that has some guidelines for the Wiki here:

https://wiki.orbusvr.com/OrbusVR:About

Nothing that’s currently been done violates any of them but I just thought I would start putting together something for the future. Let me know what you think of those. I also added the ability to put in Spoiler tags.

4 Likes

Great stuff. Glad it’s up.

Just to check before diving in… is it fair game/supported for us to start populating the wiki with information regarding specific in-game details like types of mobs, gear, drop locations, screenshots, concept art from twitter, etc? Or would that stuff be too spoilery for the official wiki?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hmmm…yeah that’s a good question. I honestly don’t have a hard and fast answer to this. On the one hand I think the Wiki can definitely serve as an informational place for things like a Bestiary that just describes each monster in the game, where it’s found, etc. Same thing for like gear pieces and whatnot. On the other hand I don’t want it to turn into Wowhead or something where like every quest is on there and people just go immediately to the Wiki to figure out how to do everything in the game, every secret has its answer on there, etc. I know that we probably can’t stop that from happening elsewhere, but I don’t think the official Wiki should be the place for it.

Certainly screenshots and concept art from the blog or Twitter are fine.

What does everyone else think?

4 Likes

Personally I agree, thinking about spells for example. I want to learn the various spells through playing the game, and if I want to write those down that’s fine. But I don’t want to be able to know every spell just by going on the wiki.
I would lean to less info on particular fight patterns, locations, spells etc. And more on lore and info on how to play the game.

2 Likes

Agree 100% with Riley’s assessment. And, if you’re ever unsure about some bit of content, just wrap it in a <spoiler></spoiler> tag. :man_with_turban:

Okay so let’s do this:

You can add information about any item in the game (e.g. a piece of gear, a creature, an ingredient, a potion, a fish, etc.). Its entry can contain lore-related information about it but no strategy information.

Monster Example: “Wyvern”, make a note of the fact that they are attracted to fire and are known to occupy the ever-burning forest known as the Wenderwood. But you wouldn’t put in there “Has a DoT effect that happens every 3rd attack”.

Gear Example: “Sword of 1000 Truths”, Ancient sword given to the one who will defeat the great evil. +12 Attack, +2 Magical Defense. Acquired via the quest “Search for Truth.” But you wouldn’t put "Here is a 20-step guide on how to complete the quest ‘Search for Truth.’

Item Example: “Greater Healing Potion”, “Heals the imbiber to full health instantly.” I’m not sure if you’d put the required ingredients or not because I haven’t designed the Alchemy profession enough yet to know how the recipes are discovered. But if it’s something where the recipes are obvious and given to you in-game right away, then they would be fine to put on the Wiki. If it’s something where the recipe has to be ‘discovered’ then you wouldn’t include it.

Class Example: “Runemage”. You could include lore about how the Runemage casts spells using the Words of Power. You could include basic information about how to play a Runemage (e.g. “Press the trigger, draw, cast”). And I think it would even be fine to include all the publicly-disclosed spells that we’ve already talked about because those are spells you’re just going to be taught by the game anyway as part of the class (e.g. it’s no big secret how to cast Fireball). However, there might be other spells that are fun cantrips that let you for example cast Fireworks into the sky, and those are something that you discover on your own by reading a rock in a certain area of the world. That would be something not to include.

It’s a totally fuzzy line. I’m not really sure how to make it much sharper. I guess the best thing to say is “Anything lore-wise is great, and anything that’s a generally-known fact that you would be told during an in-game tutorial is fine, but anything that is like a strategy for beating a monster, or hidden gameplay you have to discover on your own, would not be included.” Let me know what you think.

8 Likes