Open Alpha Feedback Thread

I believe you guys are already planning to give the Runemage class a grimoire for spells. I think it would be helpful if it floated in space just like the journal and you could point to a particular spell in your grimoire and it would create an outline of that spell in front of your character which you could then trace. It would be great practice and just help with muscle memory to more accurately cast the spells. It is really frustrating thinking you drew a perfect spell and then it fizzles with no result.

Try making sure your book is completely ā€œverticalā€ and no at an angle (relative to the ground). The runes are 3D so you have to draw them pretty ā€œflatā€ for the basic ones. If you draw it and donā€™t cast it and then walk around and look at it from the side, you should see it all lining up on the same flat ā€œplaneā€ and touching, not spread out. Usually that trips people up.

In general the Runemage class is meant to be a very advanced and difficult class, with the reward of that being it is the highest DPS class in the game. Thatā€™s one of the reasons we locked it behind a quest, because we were trying to indicate ā€œthis class is not like the othersā€. In general our rule of thumb has been that itā€™s going to take 1-2 hours of practice to get the the point where you can do as much damage as a Ranger who just picked up a bow, and then lots more practice to be able to cast every spell consistently. Some of the other Closed Alpha folks can chime in on that as well Iā€™m sure in terms of how their progression wasā€¦but generally speaking most people after theyā€™ve played the class for a while go ā€œoh yeah I see this does work, but it takes a lot of practice!ā€

I guess all that is to say, we donā€™t want that class to be one where you literally pick up a wand and 5 minutes later you can cast a perfect Fireball spell, the difficulty in learning to play it is part of the class design.

This really is a part of what we want going on. For example when we are designing the Witch quest weā€™re like ā€œshould we tell them exactly where to go?ā€ ā€œNo, give them hints at the NPC and then also they will likely run into players who can tell them where to go.ā€ We want the actual community interaction to be part of the mechanics of the game, if that makes sense. The first time you see someone cast a resurrection spell should happen when a powerful Runemage player does it to you ā€“ why give that cool experience away to an NPC interaction? Haha.

You can portal around to lots of places if you find a Runemage willing to do it for you.That said, we are planning to add some sort of ā€œReturn to Homeā€ feature just in case you for example get stuck in a bad part of the world where you keep dyingā€¦but it wouldnā€™t be something thatā€™s frequent enough you can just use it as a travel shortcut.

Were you like actually ā€œinsideā€ of the mob?

Yeah, that just worked well with our existing chest mechanics so we used it. Plus then you can actually ā€œstoreā€ ingredients there. And still manage it (e.g. rearrange it, split stacks eventually, etc.) We can definitely add a tooltip there to explain that, though.

Are you seeing other monsters and NPCs and just not your friends? You probably need to do ā€œReturn to Graveyardā€ as you are stuck between zones, sorry about that. Itā€™s a bug. The server will split into shards in a zone if the population gets too high, but there arenā€™t enough people online right now for that to be happening.

If you hold your journal up to the rune pillars in the Witch of Mulbirthā€™s cave, they will copy into your journal. You can then place your journal in front of you to practice casting them.

just tried out the alpha and you guys could use a few more setting for locomotionā€¦

1. smooth turning the snap turns can be disorientating to some gamers like me
  2. add strafing it just doesnā€™t feel natural with turning on both thumbstick
    pretty much just add option for those who can handle it to play like a normal FPS I think for some this would go a lot way to making this game fun to play I now as it stands now I canā€™t play this game

Just to be sure that you now, the direction you slide is the direction your controller is pointing, so just hold the thumbstick forward, and then point the controller right and you will go right. I donā€™t think you would ever use both thumbsticks at once.

But we will definitely be looking into adding some more customization to how the sliding locomotion works.

i look forward to the added options hope u get closer to just making the locomotion like a normal first person game without the move to point it doesnā€™t feel natural atleast for me it doesnā€™t and iā€™m sure there is a lot of other who r just like me maybe more so on the oculus than on viveā€¦
so i guess i would also ask that along with smooth turning and strafing also add the option to lock to playspace where forward on the controller is always forward no matter where you r looking or pointing. thanks for taking the time with my feed back. will keep an eye out for the options you guys add before deciding if iā€™ll buy the game
ps i use both thumbstick all the time

Possibly. The mob ran up approached me though (specifically the stag), so I donā€™t know how I would have avoided that situation. Tried backing off, got a shot off/some damage occurred, then the stag closed the difference again and was again invulnerable.

Wondering if the text can be moved back a foot or so? Quest text covers most of my view, so only a few words can fit in the center sweet spot at a time. Tried backing up but the quest text closed the distance to remain consistent.

Okay, yeah itā€™s definitely a bug Iā€™m just wanting to know how to reproduce it.

Thatā€™s interesting, the quest text should always stay the same distance from the quest giver toward you.

Iā€™ve just put out a new small patch that changes how the loading/unloading process works, basically this should hopefully help reduce the out of memory crashes that some people are still getting when moving between scenes, when returning to the login screen, etc. Thanks!

I seem to be stuck in a state where no other entities spawn in my world (no mobs, npcs, players, resources, etc.). I was just walking along the Lowland Forest when everything disappeared. Now no matter what I try, Iā€™m suck in this state. I tried logging out, relaunching the game, relaunching the launcher and the game, and restarting my computer. Any idea how I can get out of the state or get you more info about how I got into it in the first place?

Check out this post I just made, I think it will fix your issue: Alpha: Known Issues

My game just crashed while moving around some items in inventory.

Also, Iā€™m still having trouble getting item info to display on hover.

Please use the Bug Reporting feature to send me a log of that when you start up the launcher again. Thank you!

I just did a soft reset to fix a bug where the quest dialog telling you where to go to kill the Kingā€™s Stag was incorrect. In addition, we increased the number of low-level Redtails and Rotospores available in the starter zone.

You can portal around to lots of places if you find a Runemage willing to do it for you.That said, we are planning to add some sort of ā€œReturn to Homeā€ feature just in case you for example get stuck in a bad part of the world where you keep dyingā€¦but it wouldnā€™t be something thatā€™s frequent enough you can just use it as a travel shortcut.

Iā€™m not talking about world travel, although that is interesting information to know. We were just discussing that in designated ā€œsafe zonesā€ like the town, you should have unlimited teleport because it doesnā€™t hurt the game at all in terms of gameplay - itā€™s just faster movement in a safe zone to get you back out there again.

We just had our second hard server crash. Sorry for the trouble. It auto-recovered as expected.

Might be nicer if the menu stuck to your direction you are looking?

Iā€™d say make this an option.

As personally, I hate headset direction determining forward direction. ā€œSlidingā€ and not being able to turn my head and look around without changing direction really bugs me.

And on the converse to @Trey_S, I really like the controller forward direction.

1 Like

Am I supposed to see any sort of stats or any pop-up when I select gear in my backpack? I remember that being in a previous alpha but it doesnā€™t seem to be here now.

If you hover over the icon (dont click on it) it will bring up tool tips