Open Alpha Feedback Thread

I actually have the same problem, my tactic became: lean towards the NPC then select the next option and lean back again to read :stuck_out_tongue:

I was in a party killing stags in the forest and at a certain point we lost connection for a bit. When we reconnected, there were no monsters appearing on the map. No other players either. I just left the party and restarted the game. Still no monsters or other players anywhere.

use return to graveyard feature, should fix it. Might put you in a forest of white birch trees if you are just go to the left across the bridge and to the right and you will be at Narrow Orchard village.

Totally get it!

I agree, if your testers a picking on content versus mechanics, things are going very well!

Along the lines of technical, if there is some way to graphically smooth player position transitions (probably easier I guess if users are using locomotion vice teleporting), thatā€™d be a huge immersion improvement. Sometimes itā€™s hard to track/follow group mates blinking all over or blinking forward to wherever weā€™re heading.

Dev Team,

As you guys push patches to resolve issues do you have a page that shows what each patch should fix? This thread is ok, but adding some bug tracking would help people search if a bug was reported. IE adding a bug search at the top via keyword. Then having listed the versions that match and what was fixed in that patch. This way the users donā€™t bombard with existing issues. Also you may see some problems never get brought up because people think someone else has reported it. This also could help you guys track if a fix possibly caused an issue later down the road.

Thanks,
Jeremy

1 Like

We donā€™t have anything external like that, but yeah itā€™s probably about time to consider getting a bug DB going.

1 Like

Been playing a lot this weekend and having an awesome time. Iā€™ll definitely echo the sentiments of many in this thread regarding quality of life improvements (See below) but the core elements in there are very exciting indeed, canā€™t wait to see the project continue to grow.

One bug Iā€™ve had today and not seen an answer for ā€“ Occasionally when using the warrior class my swings just donā€™t do damage. I assumed I was too close to the mob but backing off so it follows me doesnā€™t fix it. Itā€™s happened a lot for myself and a friend (so both Vive and Rift) and neither of us could pick out a pattern, it just seemed random. On a related note, pulling off the combos is pretty difficult as thereā€™s no feedback youā€™re even doing the swings right? That or weā€™ve been doing it wrong! :smiley:

• Some examples include:
  • Is teleportation speed bugged? The boundary grows in a square so you can travel faster diagonally. Should it be circular?
  • Non-combat movement speed/travel times are somewhat low, it makes getting around fairly tedious without some kind of mount of automated travel e.g. hire a wagon/ff14 choco-porters. This is amplified if youā€™re a teleporter because you have to wait for the distance to charge up each time.
  • A map is essential. Giving place names is nice but as someone new to this world itā€™s impossible to get bearings or have any notion of where areas are. The compass ranges are too small to resolve this. As someone that ā€œlivesā€ in this land I feel I should know the surrounding lands. :slight_smile:
  • In general combat visual/sound/haptic feedback are fairly weak for some weapons like the sword. I saw several mentions this is being iterated on
  • Menus and warrior shields are far too bright at night, itā€™s a little blinding! As most of the weapons are somewhat grounded, I was unsure why the warrior shield is glowing and ethereal anyway.

Thank you for the chance to play in the open alpha. It was a blast and I am quite sure I will buy the game, latest when it comes out. I havenā€™t played on my Vive for such long and frequent sessions in a while (if ever). I think it is really hard to judge what the game has to offer based on the videos and screenshots that are out there and was very surprised.

I also think that it is really awesome how you interact with the community and how welcoming the community is. I met a lot of nice people in just a few days.

Here are some things I noticed during my play, that could be improved in my opinion:

• Itā€™s currently possible to take out your turret and then switch to another class. the turret will still support you.
  • The bridge near the low level dungeon and the pigmen has a problem when you want to cross back from the waystone, you only can go a bit at a time.
  • I think the rangers AOE spell should have another ground indicator, its hard to distinguish it from the attack indicators of mobs.
  • I think an additional set of stairs down from Highsteppe could help to save walking. But I also like that you have to go through the low level areas again and have the chance to meet and help others.
  • I have missed a way to reread what an NPC has said to me. It would be nice to have some kind of log of that in the journal or something like that.
  • Some NPCs (for example the bandit on the plateau) walk away while you are talking to them. That is a bit irritating, since the dialog is still somewhere in the air.
  • I donā€™t like the menu to popup based on the finger swipe. It to often popups up on accident and itā€™s easy enough to press the menu button.
  • Itā€™s easy to switch the turret mode by accident while throwing, when you first take it from your belt and then throw it.
  • When you use touchpad movement, it is easy to get stuck on corners of objects. It could help if the movement would automatically continue along the edge of the object, or maybe the grid could light up, so you know what you are stuck on.

And an idea I had: It would be cool to have something like a demo, where you can try out the classes in an area like the tutorial zone. That way people could try the gameplay (which probably would get them to want to play more) and we would be able to train our rune magic while the servers are down :wink:

Thank you again! I hope my many crash reports could help improve the game.

I am looking forward to playing again!

1 Like

Yeah, I think this is being caused by being too close to toher players when you are a Warrior and hitting stuff. Weā€™ll get that fixed.

Thanks for the rest of the feedback, noted!

First time Iā€™ve seen that reported, thanks.

Iā€™ve also noted the rest, thank you!

Hereā€™s my feedback after playing a lot in the past few days, Iā€™ll skip the awe and amazement and go straight to the constructive criticism as Iā€™m sure thatā€™s the most interesting part for the devs, just know this: I loved every single moment of it.

1. Iā€™d like to have some more progression and challenge on the ā€œbaseā€ classes, I liked the idea of Runemage being an advanced ā€œhiddenā€ class which is harder to master than the rest, however it makes it far more sought after than the other classes, making almost everyone shoot for it, Iā€™d like for some more advanced ā€œactionsā€ for the others aswell.
    For example the warrior could learn more complex combos, the Musketeer could be able to load multiple orbs into the chamber to shoot more powerful and complex ā€œspellsā€ and the archer could have different traps and perhaps deal more damage by hitting headshots (at least for bosses and rare enemies).
    Alternatively, if more ā€œadvancedā€ classes make their way into the game before release it could be cool to treat them as a sort of upgrade to the three base classes like many MMORPGs do, reach a certain level on class X to unlock the quest chain for class Y.

2. Gear should have a level restriction in my opinion, itā€™s not so noticeable now that there is no way to trade it, but once the EA release is out, with ways to trade items and gears itā€™d become too easy for newbies to get their hands on some overpowered gear and steamroll the low zones, taking a lot of challenge out of the game.

3. I already read on Reddit that you plan to rework the warrior class so I wonā€™t stress too much on it, but itā€™s true that atm itā€™s the least appealing of the lot due to a lot of problems with meelee combat in VR in general.

Nothing else comes to mind atm, Iā€™ll make another post in case I come up with something else, thanks a lot for making such a wonderful game.

2 Likes

I mean weā€™ll take the gushing too, haha. :smiley:

We are planning on adding level restriction to gear, and there is already Player Trading in the game, but gear is soulbound so it cannot be traded.

Melee combat in VR is a really tough nut to crack it turns out, haha. Weā€™re working on it.

Thanks!

+1 : I didnā€™t understood the principle and was blocked until I found Jeremy post (for mixing potions with the chest)

Then without map I donā€™t know where to go to find a branch for a magical wand.

The game is really cool so far! I spent some time doing the different classes and decided on the ranger. Unfortunately (not sure if this is intended) but I was not able to shoot the stags as the ā€œfinal challengeā€ or whatever that last training quest was called.

A few weird things:

1. Sometimes when throwing the trap (I think itā€™s a trap?) it landed on what was an invisible plane at head height and then disappeared

2. The plants you harvest sometimes seemed to be not harvestable (got 2/3 then the rest would not work or were spawned inside a sunflower.

3. Mobs (specifically the rodents in the sunflower field) sometimes would not respond to my arrows hitting them, but would respond to others attacks perfectly normal. Sometimes they wouldnā€™t respond to the first arrow but would to the ones after etc. etc.

The glowing tower near where the king stags are with the rune on itā€¦whatā€™s it for?

Devs,

Did you guys do some sort of reset? I was walking and then was attacked by an invisible monster. I am now in town after dying without NPCs or people.

try returning to graveyard againn if that doesnt fix it you will have to close out and then re-open (please send a report when you do)

Thanks Robert, return to graveyard did not fix the issue, but logging out and in did.

Glad it worked for you and thanks for sending in log

Hello, Iā€™m a new player with the open alpha. I didnā€™t get to read through all of these posts, so I apologize if anything is repeated.

Iā€™m on an Oculus Rift running an i7-7700 with 16GB of RAM and a GTX 1070 video card. I only played for about 20 minutes and completed the initial tutorial up through killing the King Stag. Here are my random thoughts in no particular order.

• The sword is awkwardly placed for Oculus. I did not see any options to adjust the orientation.
  • The quest dialogue makes mention of using your shield, but there is no shield in your starting inventory. Additionally, reaching and pulling out a ā€˜shieldā€™ with my left hand created a translucent shield. I never figured out if this was really a shield or a placeholder.
  • It took too long to figure out that my health is displayed on the shield, gun or bow, depending on which one you are using. That is partly due to not even using a shield because of the aforementioned confusion. I think having it as a global UI element would my preference.
  • Trying to look at the descriptions of items in my inventory was annoying. There is a delay on the tool-tip popping up, which means that I would have to hover my finger over each one and wait a few seconds, read the description and then repeat.
  • Holding the trigger to make a finger is not a normal pattern for Rift games. It is quite the opposite and was a bit immersion breaking.
  • Swiping the finger to bring up the menu was too sensitive. It kept popping up when I was trying to interact with NPC dialogue.
  • Interacting with NPC dialogue is not intuitive. I kept touching the text with my finger, which worked, but Iā€™m not sure if that was the proper method.
  • I tried using stick locomotion. The movement had an annoying lag before it would register. It also had trouble near objects. There were several times where I had to use teleport to move away from things in order to use stick locomotion.
  • The stick locomotion only allowed forward and backwards. It would be nicer to have the full 360 degree range of movement work with respect to the controller orientation.
  • The movement between different height levels was disorienting. I would much rather be able to teleport/stick move up and down the inclines rather than teleporting past them.
  • I was having a lot of performance issues. The screen would stutter a lot. Sometimes the Steam loading screen would appear for a second or two before returning back into the game. About half my VR library is Steam games, which work fine under Steam VR, so Iā€™m not sure where the cause for that is.
  • The scroll bars in the UI need to go. Tabs are much preferred.
1 Like

Something to note. Killing an enemy near the banks of the water the loot rolls into the water and cannot be picked up. Might want to have it fall onto the nearest grid of land a user can port to.

Thanks

Also sword teleporting to enemies on the banks can land you stuck. They really need to spawn only on land where the teleport grid works.