Patch 5.7 (Sprint Six) Blog Post

Woah. Just read the comments on this thread. Don’t want to explode the fire, maybe rekindle it a bit to keep us warm, but @Riley_D has made some good points.

I mean if I had come just now and they announced a wrist that gave three types of boost based on an ointment you had to get every 6 hrs or so I would be happy. More cool buffs, complexity to the game and so on.

Then from the community. They are like “imagine if we can mount dragons”, “wouldn’t it be cool if they added mounts”, “they said they were, can’t wait!”. It might just be that the smaller community saying these things are the ones that aren’t on this thread though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So I’m confused. I would really be please if there was an option to turn your dragon into a jewel, golden coin/ statue. That would make the dragons hideable and give the boost. Like a mini-summoning/ artificing category.

To me this dragon thing creates two problems. The first is the potential lag and stress it would have, however if it was cosmetic only and others wanted to show it off, I wouldn’t be telling others can you put your dragon away because of lag?

The second issue I have with it was that the expectation of it being a cosmetic only item was high. The founder dragons, and the quest dragons were for such a large time of the game ‘useless’ and more of a nuisance that I considered them cosmetic. I thought this was a weird update to the buffs on dragons and was wondering if the speed boost would work on dungeons. Didn’t even consider that how it would make the other two buff work, and how it could be termed fair.

(P.S. Does this mean that capes will eventually have stats or do things? And yeah when are wrist coming? Raid items?)

I love the Dragon system, please don’t take away the haptic feedback, sure turn it off in combat, that is fine, that’s when it’s most annoying. I love it when I’m chilling In highsteppe and there is a new player looking at everyone’s dragons and they realise they can pet them, the reaction to the haptic feedback is fun to watch.

As for the boosts, the movement speed buff seems to be the go to boost for most people but if it’s turned off in dungeons then it won’t become a requirement and we should be okay to use the other boosts if we want (which I do want to as weight is a huge issue)

I think if we need to feed them every 6 hours to keep them happy that won’t be an issue, if it can be maintained for longer without needing a treat via petting them then that would also be good!

Will we be seeing new colours to the Dragon breeding system with this update? Some of us are dieing to get a real purple (current purple is pink) yellow and orange would be amazing additions too!

5 Likes

im hoping its more like x time petted and a treat lets them be happy for 12 hours equipped but we will see soon

just 2 more days of me switching between giggling like a school girl and maniacally laughing at the thought of pvp loot

I think this is more along the lines of, why is player movement speed, inventory weight, being tied in with pet dragons? Why not just let people pay dram to upgrade their inventory permanently? Or give every Level 20 class 8 more inventory weight beyond the first class + weight for fishing every 5 levels? Or make speed potions worth crafting? To a lot of people in this thread, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to simply tie intrinsic player mechanics to a cosmetic feature.

One of the issues with the dragon right now is that it can distract from combat. An option to hide the dragon would be nice. Or disable the dragon’s haptics in combat. And give people an option to hide all dragons visually/haptically on their end so they don’t have to deal with clutter.

What about how if your weight is near limit, but you want a speed boost, does that mean taking off the weight boosting dragon will negate the speed boost since you are encumbered (and will pack mule potions ever be fixed)?

Making dragons 0 weight would be nice too. Why should dragons take up weight, treats take up weight, only to eat away at the weight bonus it gives you (unless the weight bonus it will give is very very generous which is unlikely)?

Anyone’s dragons can brush people’s hands. Smaller ones aren’t big offenders but they still distract. The wilds thing Kamina brings up is also a very good point. Since you’re forced to have a dragon out to reap the benefit, all these minor details now need to be addressed. Before, the simple workaround was just not having your dragon out.

It isn’t different but its also not baffling either. You might be out of touch with what the player base is dealing with. But the thing is, potions are somewhat accepted in some MMOs where its necessary to help assist with combat while not being absolutely required to beat content. It’s always required either time or money to acquire and use. In OrbusVR, it sure looks that way since everyone’s talking about potions in the forums and selling potions in stalls. And it seems a lot of people don’t seem to like having to do all those things for potions. So in short, they tolerate potion making in OrbusVR because its more commonly accepted in video games and even gives them an edge over others in this game while also being necessary to clear high level content.

Pet dragons on the other hand were purely cosmetic, though having some interaction with player economy. And then suddenly now being basically required as part of a player’s loadout to maximize carry weight and movement speed. While some MMOs have done this before, its generally not significant at all compared to the overall inventory size/weight a player has, while in Orbus, every weight counts due to how limiting it is for players. Same with movement speed in a game that doesn’t have enough portal locations to each dungeon and instead requires you to spend time (waste time) walking back and forth quite often.

Maybe if we had much larger inventories to handle the continuing influx of new items to carry, this would be less of a problem.

Completely different, it is a gear slot and gear is traditionally seen in this way. Sure, if we treated the dragon as some sort of trinket slot, but you don’t normally feed a wrist slot with wrist food or pet it to gain its effects right? And most games don’t require you to keep gear charged constantly. And if it did, it lasts a long time. And if it lasts a long time, you can cut the “maintenance required” and wouldn’t need to spend the extra effort requiring it to be charged, and save both development time and player time. And if the point is to create a new money sink (surely that is not the goal), there are much better ways to do it.

Its not a VR thing at all. Its a common theme in pet games. That aside, a pet system isn’t exactly something you can simply compare to the potion system. People abhor the amount of effort it takes to gather, and then make, and then age potions. Its so much effort. You have to wait around for your alchemy pot to change colors. And only recently you can make potions in bulk, but not all types of potions. And guilds at the top seem to be using them fairly often (who knows how much time is spend just making them), even buying them from vendors at crazy prices. Which is fine, but my point is that people do complain, but just not always in the forums about how much it is a pain in the ass to farm it all (except recently about wilds materials and potions). Here we have a new feature that isn’t in the game. This is the perfect time for people to express why they might have reservations for it and perhaps some changes might save you time development wise.

But again, it’s an MMO. And this is just one of the many timesinks of OrbusVR if you want to do it all.

It does sound like getting dragon buffs are much easier than potion making. Just buy the magic treats and RNG your way to the correct dragon bonus. And I think people really want the speed buff and inventory weight bonuses and will “deal with the dragons” to get them whether they like it or not. But to this end, why not just make it so dragons just give you all three buffs so people love their dragons so much more? Why 3 different dragons? When will we get enough inventory space to support these new dragons?

I just hope that this pet dragon weight feature is not what you meant by a solution to player weight/storage problems that you said you were trying to sneak into one of these sprints.

5 Likes

damn dude,u really let the sh*t hit the fan with this post, seriously though you do make some good points but with you mentioning the pets it does make sense that pets shouldldn’t help you do (cant find a way to put it) but doing things like vacuuming up resources or vacuuming up loot bags would be the way to go seeing how purgeturbed(mad) the community is getting over the pets .

For the second response, it may be a double edge sword. You get a speed boost, but are more likely to be found. Like a speed potion that leaves a trail.

For the third and fourth. Although I do agree with having thought they were purely cosmetic. To a developer, they are an wearable item slot. And we don’t know what is considered long. Like if it is feed the dragon, and pet twice (Summing up to 5 or so minutes) every 6hrs. That is like 12 successful shard runs, definitely worth the 5 minutes. We don’t even know if the timer would decrease while logged out.

For the fifth, imagine if the dragon was created from a spell from a Runemage, or there is an orb what summons a dragon with a buff. It is weird how context can change the expectation that a ‘pet’ may have. To put in other words, there are also many games where minions/pets/followers/pokemon are used for non-cosmetic mechanics.

Also having more options such as different utilities makes the game more richer/complex. If not it gives the illusion of choice and purpose. In this case however I feel that the speed buff is too overpowered if it is applicable to dungeons. The other two options don’t seem to really compare. But this is just an opinion from a Runemage that thinks Lend a Hand is the better choice than static Charge :rofl::grin:

@Riley_D I think this is the way to go imo except only allowing an option for ‘hide dragons in combat’.

I never even considered this before, having people tell you to put your dragon away because their computer can’t handle it was lame cause some of us have spent a lot of time breeding dragons to work towards the colours/size we wanted, if they don’t want to see it give them the option to turn them off, so the people with the computers that can handle seeing dragons and continue to do so

2 Likes

This is what I would like. Also agree with what you said earlier about the feedback while petting them. My kids would be sad if that stopped.

3 Likes

Okay, well as I said earlier, we will discuss this all internally and decide if we want to go a different direction for this. Interesting feedback as always from everyone.

@Riley_D asked us why we didn’t want to use the dragons, so answered. Haters gonna hate - I see you.

You all should maybe calm down a bit. It’s a thread where everyone should be allowed to say what he/she thinks without having to worry about getting a hatespeech answer to that.

1 Like

i dont see how telling players to spend time with their irl pets is hating but you can perceive it how you want to

2 Likes

Would the dragons be able to keep pace better if they flew instead of running? To me it looks like they being slow becouse they follow the ground, so why not make them fly in waist lvl once they fall behind a couple meters.?(got wings after all)

1 Like

Am I the only one worried about the potential unwalkable areas caused by collision problems of the new Highsteppe? Just like Guild City always was. My mind just keeps going to this for a month now. So I just like to say: please check the perimeters of the new buildings and props for correct collisions. (it is annoying for people who use locomotion and really confusing for new people)

1 Like

We’ve spent a lot of time checking for invisible walls and things like that (I myself use sliding exclusively) but if you find any when you come across the new stuff let us know and we’ll put out fixes for it.

1 Like

It’s not so much invisible walls as the hit box of the wall itself sticks out more than you’d think. It seems whatever square is intersected by the model of the wall makes that square inaccessible entirely which can make a square that is only intersected at a far edge create a dead zone that sticks out more than someone would expect. I tend to give a wide birth around walls of guild City or have to switch to teleport movement to guarantee I’m not being slowed down by unexpected stops through dead zones walls.

1 Like

Yeah, several over us have spent a good amount of time in and around Highsteppe in both sliding and teleportation movement. I’m a teleport person and it appears that the teleport grid fits around structures much more tightly than in the current GC. But, again, if you encounter any strange areas definitely let us know and we’ll work to get them resolved.

3 Likes

Is there someway you can implement a way to send a bug-report from players location in the game?

Like that mail icon with shortcuts, but for bugs with in-game gps?

Stumbled upon wierd pathing of wargs for example, but have no way to tell where the heck I am.

So if i found that, I could press bug icon, press ”mob”, press ”pathing” press send and then my location and name in the game is automaticly transmitted, (allso with a comment section)

So in theory, you could just sort all those reports, and go through whatever tickles your fancy, and request more information if something is unclear.

The taking care of your dragon thing changes nothing for me. I already stop to pet my dragon often. He’s my little buddy. I think it would be neat to have a special slot you can stick your dragon in so it appears sticking out of a small backpack or sack on your back. I’d also love you be able to pick them up.

1 Like