Patch this Morning: 6.15

Yikes, that may make the potionkeeper fight particularly problematic as the timing and randomization is such that you can need to immediately jump into a previously resolved AE in order to get to the blocking box in time reliably.

1 Like

Yeah i think there is enough time right now but tightening up the timing is my next step after making sure precision is working so it should be very temporary.

There are many times during raids that delay could be problematic, especially when u are trying to hold a formation together or avoid poison pools and getting boxed in

This is a SUPER big deal. We had tanks dying to this during raid and not having a clue why. If the red is gone the danger should be gone, otherwise extend the visual indicator. Why should we be guessing whether or not the danger is gone?

In the quest to fix the AOE its made it even more unreliable to dodge in and out of it…

So I totally get that right now that delay is too long, and that it can’t stay like that forever. What I am saying right now is, bear with me for like a day or two while we get the precision down pat, and then I should be able to tighten it up a lot and then all will be working better than before. At least that’s my hope.

At this point what I’m looking for is:

1. Feedback on if the Sentry and Boss 1 corrdior AoE is working better now that I have adjusted the start position.
  2. Feedback on if you are seeing yourself get hit by the AoE when you have been standing out of it the whole time.

Once we get that smoothed out I will fix the timing.

I have no clue how and why you are doing the detection of the AoE with the “sweeps down the path” method, but it sound kinda strange to do it that way.

Why can’t you just take a “snapshot” of all player locations at the time that the AoE should hit (Array with player ID’s and positions?). Then afterwards scan if they were inside the AoE and do the damage when done scanning. This should force everybody to be outside of the AoE at the same time, a.k.a. the time the red disappears. Then the delay still has to be as short as possible between calculating who gets hit and when the “snapshot” actually takes place to reduce confusion.

(To make it even more fancier, you let the red AoE disappear to indicate the hit has been done but keep a 0.2 second blue AoE indicating it is still calculating who should have been hit. This might be confusing but mentioning it anyway. Just a random thought.)

That’s one of the potential fixes that I may end up implementing to fix the timing for sure.

The main reason we are switching to this method (other than the fact that the old method never really worked well) is that in the future, we are going to be getting away from the Red AoE corridors in general, and switching more to enemy projectiles that you can see. So for example, it will be more like having a “fire wall” that goes down a path that you have to dodge – and as long as you dodge the fire wall, you are safe. Or an enemy ball of energy that swirls around the room and must be dodged. That gives us a lot more options of interesting mechanics to use and it’s more intuitive to boot for the players, plus no more “I can’t really see the red AoE lines very well.”

So basically what I am doing now is testing that out but making the projectile just go in a straight line and very fast to somewhat match the old behavior for existing content.

3 Likes

That sounds really cool and way more visually interesting, but won’t that hose the tank who is right on top of the boss?

2 Likes

In that particular example, either a) the mechanic would be designed to not require the tank to avoid it (e.g. primary target of the boss is immune), or b) there would be a “windup” animation similar to how there is now to give the tank time to dodge behind the boss.

4 Likes

Sounds cool. I’m excited to see it in the future

1 Like

Omg that does so cool!

That sounds really neat! Looking forward to these ideas.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.