Permadeath feature

I kind of thought of it as a reward if you were to get powerful as a permadeath character. it would entirely be up to the player if they wanted to and there wouldn’t be many benefits beside getting to a high level with that penalty. I thought a way of setting it so other players realised you are a permadeath character and thus may be a bit more careful or think stuff through better

2 Likes

that may be good. it just says “hey I did this.” it’s the same with the rest of the achievements

So then we may as well all swap to perma death because in that case my top numbers don’t mean squat. See how that’s a problem? Unless powerful means something else. As Scott said, I think a cosmetic would be perfect.

I mean yeah, I get that, I feel it’d be a more personal goal than a thing for a cosmetic. like it doesn’t hinder other players and only affects one player. if someone was to party with a permadeath player. maybe a tip would appear saying what the skull means so it makes it easier for others to understand.

there wouldn’t be any benefits on the player. and maybe it would be a way to make it more fun for players looking for that sort of challenge. they’d be the same as every other character

a cosmetic would work. but then players will eventually get jealous is my thought.

From a basic reading, I’d say that this seems like an idea that wouldn’t work very well.

1. Many deaths are not your fault, while in permadeath games, USUALLY the death IS your own fault. This game is glitchy. I’ve had wipes purely due to glitches. One of the recommended solutions for certain glitches is to die.
  2. We also use death to fast travel in dungeons or to get unstuck.
  3. This would encourage players to do cheese methods.
  4. This would likely encourage permadeath players to do some rather drastic things to not die. This would encourage bad plays.
1 Like

Everyone is poo pooing your Idea , but I think it’s a good one.

As long as it is not accessible till after you hit lvl 30. I dont really need a reward to do it either … some people already simulate this by deleting alts on death. I would like a reward but dont need it .

Most of the people responding to you obviously wouldn’t use this feature.

I dont think that’s a reason to poo on it tho.
I now only play permadeath characters in my heavily modded skyrim. It adds extra replayability.

I’d really like this tho … if I could select a mob to controll … just give me its normal attacks … and I can be a roaming miniboss.

That would add extra replayability and fun and pvp in a pve way. I try to kill ppl in zones as just a smart mob. They get to kill me and I drop loot. Nothing that will inspire misuse… just maybe slightly better than the mob itself.

It should drop a trophy of that mob for your house or something … maybe the tool tip has the players name who was controlling the mob.

But I digress.

Permadeath is fun for those that it is fun for.
It should not be able to be enabled on old characters only new characters after main hits lvl 30. It really should have something going for it but I cant think of something that wont piss off people not wanting to play it.

Maybe an account bound transmog / achievement for reaching lvl 30 … not thru mouse catching …

1 Like

If you want to understand the naysaying…

Imagine for a moment that you are in a random dungeon queue and your healer dies for whatever reason. Then your tank dies, then your party dies.

That is fine, just respawn and… wait… where is our tank? Oh, he must have been on permadeath. Well, now everyone has to go requeue or someone has to take over tank role.

Or tank dies due to some mistake like taking all of death burst without a pally shield and healer goes to res and … there is nobody there to res because permadeath. (Since otherwise, permadeath isn’t really as huge of a penalty if you can just be res’ed)

And these deaths could be a result of a bug instead of player error, which would just make people more annoyed.

See, my point is more that it would affect non-permadeath players. And if it doesn’t affect them while being on the same server, then permadeath isn’t really a thing.

Now, there could be an argument for there being a separate server specifically for permadeath players, but that would mean more resources are needed and the community isn’t that large in the first place for it to be split.

2 Likes

Idea 1:
We already have the shard system so there could be a separate shard devoted to it which would be a good idea … but that might split playerbase a bit. But it would be anyway with this.

Idea 2:
Just have it so if durability isnt lost permadeath doest trigger… tho ppl will just level in shards then.

Idea 3:
Just disable the dungeon que for permadeath… if they seek out and form a party and walk to the dungeon then just kill them off like normal. (I would definately avoid shards as PD.

It encourages them to play safely with themselves. Just dont play with the PD players.

1 Like

How about an alternative - the “Ironman” state.
When you create a character, they will be set to the Ironman state, and given an icon beside their name noting that they have not died yet. When the player dies, they lose the Ironman state, and their icon gets removed permanently. The only exceptions are: dying when the player uses the “return to graveyard” button, and in the PVP battlegrounds.

A small extra challenge for a player making an alt account to see how long they can keep it, and a fun little competition for, say, a group of new players wanting to flex on each other!

2 Likes

I like this better, though I think it should also be turned off for random dungeon queues just so that it doesn’t risk negatively affecting players if someone is really desperate to keep their state. We could reduce or remove exp gain while in dungeons with ironman mode on in exchange.

I’m just thinking of all the bitching players wanting a reset position when they spawned under the ground, or in the sky…

But I do remember this feature in diablo 2… Was most rewarding stealing the unlucky players loot after a boss fight gone wrong (perma death players dropped ALL items)

Kind of mean to sabotage your fellow players just to steal all their loot though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(I joke about it, but it has happened in other games).

I look forward to people attempting Sabotage, it is the spice to my game rounding out its flavor. If more people stabbed each other in the back … it would be a different world.

All I want to know is would there be lore with it

1 Like

Indeed ,

View my speculation/suggestions about the citadel raid before it released :slight_smile:

Wanted “mirror knight” ala souls.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.