Petition to Reinstate Face Pull XP for Fisherman

I would like to formally request that the ability to gain XP with face pulls for Fisherman leveling be put back into the game.

• It was a fun social activity that many enjoyed
  • Its been said that Fisherman level doesn’t affect how well you can catch fish, if this is the case then it doesn’t matter that you have it as level 20.
  • It gives us another thing to do in the game
  • It was originally considered an Easter egg

Would be nice to see who in the community agrees or disagrees with me.

4 Likes

OMG YES PLEASE!

I concur on all points. Especially since this was part of the game from day one, and is a perfectly valid way to level every other class.

Also It is terrifying and fun to pull high level mobs with a perfectly useless fisherman.

The only valid alternative is to dramatically increase the amount of experience each fish gives you.

1 Like

I disagree as there is merit in the fishing class being one that takes time to level. I wish this would have been a bigger priority when it was discovered, and that the Dev’s had stopped this sooner (at least the exp, the drops were okay, maybe even make separate mob drops for fisher class that aren’t the quest equipment would be cool in the future, shark gloves anyone?).

That being said I did level from 4 fishing to 17 fishing on Tuesday night before the exp bonus reset doing quest.

@Gandora has pointed out that this is not very different from pulling as a fishing class and in my view would also discredit fishing levels. Thus if doing quest continues to give ridiculous amounts of exp for the fishing class and is okay, I don’t see why one would remove this.

(P.S. I am commenting on this in the hopes that this will inform how the developers would handle future classes if they are ever added.)

4 Likes

But you presume that fishing levels is purely prestige. It isn’t. It reflects the hp pool and because the fisherman is totally defenseless and has no armor, its only chance against getting one shot is in its hp.

I’d be curious to hear the devs long term vision for the fishing class before advocating for a specific approach regarding experience gains for the class

3 Likes

Rickness and few others won’t be very happy about as they have spent countless hours fishing! Slowly levelling up there fishing, It just doesn’t feel right to gain “fishing experience” by face pulling.

1 Like

Then it should be changed on the quest giving side.

But it’s been stated by the devs that the leveling of fishing doesn’t matter. Might as well remove the leveling aspect of the class then. I’m fairly sure a lot of the high level fishermen turned in quests to get their high levels. If non fisherman quests reward XP for the fisherman class, then why not face pulling? What I’m advocating for here is another activity to be restored to the game.

It does matter a little bit as higher level fisherman have more health and have a better chance of surviving an attack in the wilds.

2 Likes

I’m not gonna speak for anyone, but I’m sure some of the people you’re referring to turned in quests on the fisherman class. The quests were not completed by the fisherman class (even the Narwhal), so it is no different than facepulling.

3 Likes

I endorse this message.

1 Like

I used quests from nercopolar on my fishing when I was already level 16, forgot to switch for 2 of them and got to level 18 with them.

I personally don’t care if body pulling is a thing or not, I did it to get the fish armour before it was from quests, which raised me from level 14 to 15, lots of people got higher than me during that time as I stopped after getting the armour pieces.

I’m now level 19 thanks to the bonus exp, and I’m currently tracking every fish I track from level 19-20 to work out how much fish/exp is required for the last level so if body pulling was added back in it wouldn’t effect me anyway as I am doing it in my own way.

If the devs took it out the game then I guess they don’t really want it in, I’m neither for or against it, if people want to level fishing quick then do quests and turn them in for fishing, if you ran out of quests and don’t like leveling fishing, wait for more quests I guess, I’d like to see some daily/weekly quests added that grant exp/dram/cosmetics as rewards which would help those that don’t like level certain classes but still want to get them leveled up one day

Either the devs have a touch of schizophrenia, or they’re just trying to accommodate what they think the community wants based on the first person or two to send them an angry PM.

Clearly the community doesn’t have a consensus on this issue. The devs knew experience came with facepulling for armor drops, and at that point they just called it all an easter egg. Then they pulled a complete 180 on the matter. It’s totally within their right to do that, but as Draven constantly says, if they could tell us their vision for different elements of the game, maybe we can find more workable approaches that make all sides happy.

For example, when Riley started a discussion thread about PVP’s effects on the economy and how the Wilds materials should be handled, I think it worked really well. People came up with real solutions that virtually everyone seemed on board with (like little greenhouses and fish tanks in the player house). I hope they do the same for this issue and for weapons/rings affixes.

just to clear this up they knew you could do this and it was called a bug, the armor you could get by face pulling before it came out was the easter egg.

Citation of them calling facepulling a bug before calling the armor drop an Easter egg? Cause all I could tell was their opinion changed because both inherently happen at the same time.

lol sorry but I dont want to clear it up so much that i waste an hour looking for a quote.

1 Like

Just gave it a few searches cause I’m stuck in traffic with someone else driving and no, there wasn’t a single reference by devs of calling it a glitch, bug or exploit before the patch notes post. The only reference to a “bug” was that the armor was obtainable early and that it was on the devs’ end - not some player-driven exploit.

They did say turning in quests on fisherman was fine though in one post - how that is any different than facepulling is not clear.

3 Likes

I would say that it is different because the fisherman is not a combat class like the rest. In one regard, it could be considered a questing class just like all the rest. As it can not mechanically do anything in combat besides pull initial aggro, it is not technically a combat class, therefore I do not personally feel like it should gain experience from any combat situation.

With quests, you can choose to claim the experience on either your combat class or your fisherman, so you are taking from one and putting it into the other, allocating resources. With facepulling, it appears to just take up time from those around you. Granted, power leveling is similar, but the person getting leveled does at least a small amount of damage, participating in that combat experience.

2 Likes

I happen to have fun helping those who wanted to level their fishing this way. It was a neat activity that had a social aspect to it. There was always a risk of dying and fun buffoonery abound.

It’s not a combat class? So why can it be killed in PvP? Why does it get stuck in combat? Why does it have HP at all?