Planning on picking the game up today

Hey all, I am planning on picking the game up today on Steam and wanted to test the waters of the community.

I’ve read multiple posts about how difficult it is to play solo, so I figured I would reach out and see if anyone has any tips or tricks for a fresh starting player.

I know I’m a little late to the party. I guess my biggest concern is that finding other low-level players to group with will be rough.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Hope to see you out there in orbus.

edit
Thanks for all the replies. I did pick the game up then played for 5 hours straight. Met a couple of players in my first 5 minutes and wound up running with them for the majority of my time in game. I’m definitely hooked and I’m going to be pushing everyone I know to pick a copy up for themselves asap.

3 Likes

I don’t believe you’ll have a hard time playing solo if you wanted to. There is also a ton of new people joining everyday so I don’t think you’ll have trouble teaming up. Always a bunch of people willing to help newer players:)

2 Likes

Welcome! :smiley:
Personally I leveled my musketeer to 20 with maybe 30% grouping, 70% solo, and most of my groups were chance encounters with other players working on the same thing.
There are new players starting daily, as well as many players that are leveling alt specs, so there are people questing/grinding almost all the time.
The spec you choose might make a difference depending on your personal playstyle, but I think any spec should be able to level solo if that’s how you want to play. Try out the different specs and find what you enjoy the most. You are not locked to a single spec, you can level any of the classes at any time :slight_smile:

Have fun! :smiley:

5 Likes

Yeah I played solo until about level 12 where I ended up getting some help then joined a guild.
But the main thing to do is, if you are having trouble with an area ask almost anyone for assistance.
If you can’t find anyone post it on the forums and someone will definitely help.

2 Likes

I solod pretty much from 1 - 20. You shouldn’t have to hard of a time soloing.

2 Likes

Awesome thanks for the replies everyone! I’ve been a healer in every other mmo I’ve ever played. A druid in WoW being my most recent character. I understand that the musketeer is the only healing class in this game is that right?

2 Likes

Yeah, and pretty much the only type of mob he can’t kill is are the healers.

2 Likes

I mean… you can kill them it’s just a lot of extra work

Level 6 Musketeer here, i tried to kill a difficult scogtroll today. No way i could have done this with my current gear xD I spent like 10 minutes to, in the end’ just go away because i couldn’t kill it xD

2 Likes

I’ve read best way to kill healers is to always keep them moving. So something like frost orbs or gravity orbs would work at keeping them at bay

I played solo Warrior to 20, all but maybe 2 levels. That’s 90% of the time. Mainly because I have small kids that prevent me from grouping much at all.

Soloing in this game is actually quite easy, if you’re used to WoW grinding. I solo’ed level 18 for only 3-4 hours before I leveled. Level 19 to 20 was a bit more rough because I couldn’t find anything to fight. However, given that it’s literally the last level, that’s not too surprising.

Seriously, don’t let what you’ve heard slow you down. If you want to solo, go solo. I have and I have thoroughly enjoyed this game (and continue to)!

4 hours, holy moly.
So you’re pretty good at tanking big mobs huh?
Yesterday I spent like 1 hour as Musketeer in the burning trees area to kill those wyverns and got only halfway through level 6

I just solod my way from 16-19 using the red tails and venom spiders outside the new dungeon in lamavore. Then I killed the worms by the world boss to lvl 20

I’ve played a lot of game where the grinding curve is pretty steep. Meaning, in WoW or DAOC, early levels were quick and later levels were week-long affairs. This game doesn’t seem quite as steep as that.

Or maybe it’s just the warrior class that does well.

I admit that level 19 was mind-numbingly dull grinding, only killing the pinkish mobs up in frosted spit. But it went faster than I expected.

Hey as you figured by now the game is easy to play solo actually :). I am used to play healer classes in MMORPGs as well (played pala, druid, priest in WOW for couple years, a decade ago tho, stopped at Lich King expansion…) and I’m totally diggin’ the Musketeer.

A few tipps from my experience, at the beginning I would set the turret to heal and have 1 healing orb (renew) equipped then it is truly hard to die. The other orbs I used in solo mode are shield - weakening - poison - and slowdown if I got a spare slot.

I’m at the very beginning with dungeons, currently I got renew (single hot) - cure wounds - shield (spam on the tank whenever ready) and the well (aoe healing pond) equipped for that.
For elite farming I figured sometimes it’s nice to go 50/50 with heal/dmg and do some debuffs on mobs so the group is faster.

What others already noted: The only mobs I simply can not kill, not even if showing green, are healers like trolls, runic mages, I am really lost with these, nothing seems to work. Feels like you can shoot them with turret and all your debuffs, including gravity for hours, perhaps there’s some trick with moving around more (that only makes them heal up fully once I try…), but no clue, I simply avoid encountering these or try to find a group if I have to.

Another tipp for the ranger, which I play secondary for fun, I saw videos with people shooting normal arrows extremely fast, just flickin’ their wrist with the right controller a bit up and down. It is a bit more exhausting but great for putting anything down in no time.

Runic mages are a pain. As a level 16 party in the desert dungeon we decided it was easier to run past the mage rather than try to kill it. They have a ton of health and really fast healing. It’s just not worth the effort.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.