Please help those of us who are unable to cast portals

I could get behind this. Live portal costs 1 reagent, stone costs 2-3 reagents. Alternatively, you could have multiple arrive locations, live casting being more convenient and so on.

At 2-3 reagents per stone, a portal stone would be way too expensive at market.

Maybe right now, as the market gets flooded though it should balance out.

don’t change a single thing with teleports, players need to git gud

2 Likes

scrolls. pay a rune mage for a pre cast scroll.

introduce blank scrolls, let runemage’s record the runes onto the paper add a reagent and poof…a successful or failed scroll of teleport/resurrection. failure being determined by the runes drawn

you can’t increase road speeds until you stop spawning mobs all over them.

you can’t spawn special mobs if it’s going to cause low level people trying to travel a road to get stuck utterly. i had that problem frequently where “exploring” an area to try and work out what level it was resulted in me being respawned at the town further into the region and essentially trapping me in it until my teleporter timer expired.

1 Like

Biggest problem i’d have with pre casted scrolls either Resurrection or teleport is how easy they would be to abuse if you were in the wilds. personally i haven’t been in the wild but i feel like if you’re with a buddy and he dies you can just use your scroll to respawn him and continue fighting seems a bit over powered. As for teleport seems like you could just go in and steal someone’s stuff and then teleport away, granted you might be able to do that with regular teleport this way it could be done more frequently / faster. I’m not sure if you can use both of these rituals in combat anyways

3 Likes

I think those could both be mitigated with current in-game rule sets. You cannot cast the resurrection ritual in combat, and you cannot teleport in the wilds. I see no reason as to why that couldn’t be applied to scrolls/stones/etc.

Edit: I should say that you cannot use any rituals in combat.

2 Likes

have the scroll simply automate manually casting the spell. so each stroke recorded into it is actually projected by the scroll (edit: at a stroke rate of 1 stroke per second or so making scrolls slower than a competent runemage).

this would make movement impossible and take a decent period of time to cast. this would also make certain scroll smiths more valuable since they may have determined better ways of casting a sign with less strokes and good reliability.

Try walking on the spot.

Here’s an idea of how to help mages (and anyone else) advertise their services in town. Give players a banner we can write text on (like a war banner) as long as we are holding the banner people can see the text and what we’re advertising. At least this way if I wanted to sell my wares/services but missed out on the market stall auction I can still participate in the sales part of this economy via this banner. I have to be present anyway so it’s still less convenient than the auto sale offered by market stalls.

1 Like

Add portal requests to LFG tool?

I like this idea, but I’d adjust it a little to allow the current professions to use it. Make it a three step process.

1. Create a blank runestone using artificing, requires 1 reagent + other ingredients.

2. A runemage to be able to cast rune linking spell at the portal stone to link a blank runestone to a location, uses 1 reagent. Runestones have durability and can be repaired by artificer without needing to recast the portal spell, but still requiring another reagent to recharge.

3. Create a portal potion to allow you to activate the runestone. Potion requires a reagent as part of the recipe. You drink the potion then hold the stone (like with the home recall item) and you teleport to wherever the stone is linked. Does not cast a portal that anyone can use, only teleports a single player.

Initially it requires 3 reagents to cast the first teleport (stone creation, linking spell, potion), but after that it only uses 1 per potion until you need to recharge the stone.

More expensive than portal spell as you only move one person per reagent, but not exorbitantly expensive reagent-wise long run.

I can understand the use of signs or war banners but policing the text that you can put on the sign is going to be tough. there’s certainly going to be people who are going to keep writing stupid stuff on signs and it’ll be annoying to monitor all of the signs.

Am I missing something? Why not just place NPCs in town that charge a fee for various teleports? Teleporting outside towns would still be helpful and not totally negate a unique spell by players but would allow non-casters or disabled irl players to have an option as well.

2 Likes

No more difficult than policing any other offensive behavior a player might be involved in already. If you want to hold a banner up for something silly all day go for it. If the banner text isn’t relevant to a player’s interest then they can just move on to somebody else. I think that fortunately it isn’t as annoying as seeing flashing text in a world chat being spammed over everyone’s conversation.

Out of curiosity, what unique services do archers, musketeers, and warriors have that they can charge for and which are near-essential to avoid massive time wasters like running forever to a location?

1 Like

See my solution 4 posts up that involves 3 different professions/skills (Artificing, Runemage, Alchemy) and creates 3 tradeable items (blank runestone, linked runestone, teleportation potion). Any player can choose to create any step of the process based on their favorite profession and trade/buy the other required components. I think it solves the travel issue in an interesting way, still promotes the player driven economy, and isn’t too reliant on other players being available the instant you need help.

The problem I have with NPCs in town doing the teleportation for a fee is that it requires you to be in a town to use. You can’t go from questing in an area back to town unless your home is in that town, or grinding in one area directly to meeting a group for a dungeon in another. Also it is a money sink that removes dram from the economy, instead of adding to the economy.

2 Likes

Well… If you’ve got a musky healing you, thats a ton of time saved from not having to run back from the graveyard over and over. :wink:

Yes, but i some see MSK sitting around selling heals.

Just read thru the upcoming changes and I didn’t see any mention of help on this issue. Anything forthcoming soon?