Please help those of us who are unable to cast portals

It’s on Sprint 3 in our internal roadmap.

1 Like

Part of this could be solved by having the casting of Teleport cost no reagent. Let passing through the gate cost the reagent. You’d have a lot more mages willing to cast teleport for random people. They COULD still charge if they wanted.

1 Like

I need to disagree here, troll porters would be in their glee if porting unsuspecting players didn’t personally cost them anything, as well as costing unsuspecting players their valuable reagents

3 Likes

A simple Yes/No box on a port shouldn’t be a big deal either…
Treat it as any NPC conversation. Interface already exists, just have walking through (or having it land on top of you) trigger it.

2 Likes

I don’t think many would sell portals, most do these even if they are mage lvl 1. I thought in the beginning omg 3 shapes I never get to do that, but airship and running got tedious so I practiced some and found it oh-so-easy, I rarely fail. I DO get the issue with shaking hands, though, mine don’t, but drinking too much coffee does same and suddenly spells are indeed harder! But even shaky spells should register if they are drawn in 2D-space, stretching out the arm fully helped me.
I’d love to see if I can assist ingame if you didn’t figure them meanwhile, perhaps there is a way, see my pm; i’m no mage main but portals are working good. (Reagents are not required for practice, you see you need one if a spell went through.)

Suggestion: In the beginning I miscasted other places, having a name on them indicating to everyone where they go, so you don’t end up in the middle of nowhere with a group would be nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

For portal, I just cast a line with a circle in the middle around my knees. It usually works. Play around with the size of the line and the size of the circle.

1 Like

-Decoy-
Personally, I spend about 80% of my time in highsteppe teaching spells. I am more than happy to help others learn the teleportation spell but I am just as happy to teleport others if they give me a reagent. I don’t need dram, I just enjoy the spellcasting system in place. I’m sure anyone capable of teleporting is happy to do the same in this community, just ask around. You’d be surprised how many people have a level 1 runemage but can teleport with the best of ‘em.

3 Likes

I always just carry around my wand and some reagents just to help people out who need to get somewhere and if i see a group and someone dies i resurrect them if they want to.
I am happy if someone helps me and i think it’s the same the other way around :smiley:

3 Likes

I just walk everywhere and give reagents to my mage friends. Warrior life :smiley:

4 Likes

I can’t recall in WoW if these portal reagents were exclusively available to mages, or if nobody cared to buy them aside from mages, or maybe they were soulbound? Furthermore, you couldn’t easily swap classes from a warrior to a mage and suddenly open a portal, then swap back to a warrior. This means teleportation was exclusive to people playing mages, and non-mages would have to rely on mages for portals(creating an economic opportunity). At this point on Orbus, there’s pretty much no going back unless you allow people to take their class levels and instill them into alt characters & transfer gear. With the reagent being tradeable, pretty easy/cheap to obtain, even if someone was trying to profit by selling portals some “nice guy” would probably just trade with a nub and port them at request for free, and they don’t even have to “main” a mage, just have a wand. Since the portal was relatively costly for most players in WoW, you were unlikely to find someone to do it for free. In addition, the portal would cost the mage time to go meet up & find the person “meet at the bank”, adding an additional non-incentive to do it for free. Highsteppe is like 1 football field long, and you are only going to hear local players making requests anyways (as opposed to a map chat).

Secondly, economy:
Selling teleports might be worthwhile to do if a player had other things to sell in the meantime (like selling dyes, but ideally other future items as well). In addition, there would need to be incentive to get more dram, an economy. There was pretty much nothing worth buying until dyes, and that is pretty much it so far. Potions, yes…but not really. You don’t need them to do end-game content like in WoW(with flasks), and HP pots are sort of useless as bosses either one-shot you or healing isn’t that hard to do. Pots are more of a PvP thing if anything right now. Also a larger playerbase means more people willing to sell portals, as A] more potential customers and B] more sellers as demand increases. It’s not worth the time to sell a portal right now because you’d wait potentially for hours for little profit. In a game like WoW, there were potentially a ton of customers as well as other things to do & an incentive to collect money. In Orbus, I hadn’t sold anything until dyes, there’s no good way to make money besides breaking items at early levels which doesn’t involve trading with players. Alchemy ingredients, sure… but it’s not like you can sit in town and sell people queen’s ear. Maybe with an auction house you’d get some sales, or more automated vendor stalls. Also nubs can barely afford a portal, or they’d just offer to give you a mage reagent. Not that you wouldn’t know this, but in most games noobs make their money via gathering skills for higher-end players to train their crafting up, or making small money off of crafting themselves. Orbus doesn’t even have an alchemy “skill”, so there’s no point in mass producing potions and unnecessarily using up resources or pursuing materials beyond actually using them. Straight farming dungeons for money isn’t really viable in most games, including Orbus. If you crack a blue item you get 50 dram lol. Killing bosses can give 80-100 dram…like 5 queens ear or 1/3 or less of a mage reagent which can be farmed much faster. Maybe items like queens ear and potions would sell more if trading was more streamlined, given the current smaller playerbase you can’t just sit and spam (plus you have to actually talk, not copy and paste then alt tab & look at youtube coming back here and there). Vendor stalls are done manually by you guys right now, some of them are unowned, and there’s a limited amount of stalls. Highsteppe stalls are probably the most useful as most people “live” there. An Auction House or similar might be cool so that more people can get into an economy. Still waiting on this months stall auction btw :stuck_out_tongue:

Lastly, running distance:
Guild city and some other locations are like a stones throw from Highsteppe. WoW was massively large. Masssive… Sure portals are nice here, especially for going to certain locations further out, but a portal will save you like 10-15 minutes at best, 3-5 minutes at worse, not necessarily hours or 30 minutes. Some of the airship pathing is really slow too, and you can’t run around or even look at your journal (unless you started to hold on to it from the start) while on the airship, or practice your spells & combos. They look really impressive / cool as a noobie, but later on you basically never want to use them (at least in my experience).

Exactly and when WoW is brought up, the ONLY thing I can remember is a change in the opposite direction - when the game came out we ran and ran and ran until arriving at a dungeon, there were no portals, nothing, people spent an hour to even form a dungeon party and had everyone arrive there.
The system implemented after that been a simple queue to mix random groups, similar to pvp you signed yourself up, no choices, no communication in advance, I believed they only checked levels and if a tank and healer is in and once full you got teleported right in the front of an instance, go.

And I second Ian_L, the running time only steals time from doing actual content, I would also like to reduce this time to a minimum, starting with placing way more portal stones - like into Lucian, Frosty, all Wild’s entrances and directly at TM - graveyards, and smithies.

Selling portals is way too tedious, also if people just ask someone in HS and give him the reagent, as stated often above, most will do that. But then what if you are in the desert with no one around and want to get elsewhere… so in the end it’s a good idea to learn portals after all, for everyone and the threshhold should be as low as possible (actually I saw easy shortcuts which should allow opening portals in whatever health condition, only not for all the portal runes).

Can we get teleport tablets/items. This could be an add on to artifacting and create a consumable to use dram on.

As a warrior and long time player I made sure to learn the portal spells. I only have a level 6 mage but I can rez and port like the best mages. I will say the airship isn’t used much as reagents are easy to get and the ship feels like it takes a long time to get anywhere. I’d rather run and kill stuff on the way. Not sure how to make the airship more enticing, but it’s currently a last resort type deal.

Same situation here. I almost never play mage (maybe later) but I can cast portals. Although I still use them quite seldom I only take sometimes 2-3 attempts for the first rune but everything after is really easy and forgiving!

still no luck on casting, still walk, SLOWLY, everywhere. In the time it takes to get 2 out of the 3 symbols to take, I can just walk there. Im at like 180 hours in game, level 18 and haven’t completed the main quests.

At this point I have just given up on lore, and its just meaningless stuff to get thru. Shame I know alot of effort went into it

I actually was super bad a portals a while ago, after learning a trick someone told me I am able to get a portal made within 2-5 attempts. Don’t give up.

1 Like

I think this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but in case it wasn’t, we will be working on a system to help those magically impaired to move between pillars/towns. I dont have full details of how/when/why it will work but it is on our internal roadmap and should be in game (at least in the early stages of use) in the next couple of months. We will release more information about the system when it is closer to finalized, but just wanted to put this out there so people know we do watch the suggestion threads even if we dont respond to them.

4 Likes

All good, I know its coming per "Riley_DDev Team - Director
25d

It’s on Sprint 3 in our internal roadmap."

Cant wait to see what you guys come up with

1 Like

What’s the good trick you speak of?

My thoughts were along fairly similar lines.
This problem arises because ONLY the runemage can make a portal. Which is a reasonable mechanic considering everyone can be a runemage. But when the runemage class does not work for a player, for whatever reasons, there is currently no other workaround for a sinlge player to create portals. One option could be weapon drops where the weapon could port to one of the 9 non-local portals for the cost of 2 (or more) reagents (the three portals around the home area are not as necessary since you can use your home portal object to return home instead of a portal). You would need to collect all nine versions of your weapon and carry them around to be totally independent of runemage portal casting.