Please help those of us who are unable to cast portals

Besides asking or trading for a portal, riding an airship, or just walking. There are, to my knowledge, zero places accessibly ONLY by teleportation.

I’m sorry Tumoroh, I should have been more specific.
Perhaps I should have said.

“there is currently no other workaround for a single player to create portals”

Since “asking or trading for a portal, riding an airship, or just walking” is not a single player creating a portal. As using portals was the concern of the author of this topic.

I know. Was just my smartass way of saying, “The world isn’t so big as to require a workaround yet.”

That’s not to say down the road this concern will be more warranted.

And even this depends… it doesn’t have to be a “big” world, if you ever stood idle for 5-10mins in front of a boss, aberration etc. waiting for others to arrive you feel there is already a problem WITH portals - because the walking distance between portal/graveyard/smithies is sometimes way too long. If you got 2,5h at evenings to get everyone their guaranteed from only 1-2 wings in TM, not even to speak of 3-4, those mins to gather a group, add and exchange members in between etc. do hurt!
Now without them it makes playing a real pain, even if you’re not the great endgame fan, but just gotta do redundant walks over and over, it’s not about impossibility, but about time, repetition and enjoyment of the other parts of the game.

It’s hard to refute your point without some silly sounding, “Back in my day…”, explanation of MMORPG experiences. Some people want to hit a queue button and be automatically transported to the action. Others have come to expect something else from the genre.

Back in my days I ran much more in games indeed lol… but that been a thing of these games being new and I truly appreciated that WoW implemented a queue, finally, after 1-2 years ;). Ideally I prefer a mix of both, the first few rides on the airship been great, but having that daily when I wanna do dungeons, not really, just lack the time for that. It’s not too hard to offer both also, like having an option to skip or port and those who prefer the atmosphere and got more time overall could always not use it.

Didnt see any mention of this in the notes, still soon?

Yes sorry, it got pushed back a tiny bit but will be out before Sprint 4.

Not sure I’ve read this before (similar to gate/stone idea):

But how about a scroll - item that is made by someone able to cast the various teleports. You basically store your cast into the scroll & can be sold, consuming a mage reagent. To store it, hold the blank scroll & cast the teleport sequence. Once stored, the blank scroll is consumed and the new scrolls goes into your bag. If you mess up the spell, the reagent or blank scroll is/has a chance to be consumed regardless. Then the user who uses it can equip it to their tool slot and consume it similar to the home-teleporting item - but it only teleports the consumer rather than opening a portal for multiple people.

The only major problem for anything like this is that there’s no system which would support crafting scrolls/paper. Maybe for now the blank scroll could be purchased off a vendor?

1 Like

I have found that the best way to do the first portal rune which looks like a backwards N with a cross through, it is to draw an infinity symbol (sideways figure eight) with a horizontal line bisecting it. This is basically a shortcut that works 99% of the time for me.

Yeah, I HATE teleport movement, and really don’t like that avoiding AOE in combat requires me to use it. Also, there are times when it is needed just to get past certain areas. I ALWAYS get stuck at the portal drop to guild city :stuck_out_tongue: The path there is just a touch too small I think, or my aim sucks, either way…

As for teleportation (spells) I feel like it’s a pretty cool mechanic, but spell casting in general could be a TAD more forgiving… I don’t want it to be easy-mode, it shouldn’t be, but just a little more margin for error would be nice…

p.s. This is by far my new favorite game, the mage mechanic is a totally new experience for me and I love it! An MMO that takes actual skill to play, no button mashing, no spells or missile attacks going through the environment and hitting you through trees, or rocks. It’s been great so far.

I liked the idea of teleporting but we really also need is more teleportation locations. I get the devs wanted to make the world feel like a big world but on the flip side, players who’ve explored the world shouldn’t be required to walk from X to Y for the upteenth time. It’s always better to err on the side of player convenience or they’ll simply stop playing due to annoyances like these threads are about.

It doesn’t need to be instant teleportation to the dungeon. But there definitely should be a lot more teleportation stones near places people want to be. In fact its already weird that a bunch of teleportation stones aren’t even in the towns they represent. Nor is there one for Tradu specifically, or ones for the wilds (unlike the desert stones).

2 Likes

not sure if joke but i dont think we need elitists in orbus

Please don’t resurrect 2 month old threads - that said, since the original post was written we’e added teleport pillars to help those who aren’t able to or interested in using mage teleportation.

3 Likes