Poor game performance since the 9th

Hey all,

Is anyone experiencing poor game performance that started about a week ago? I’m rocking a i7, 1080, and 32GB of RAM… Yet even when playing on low settings I’m getting what seems like a ton of dropped frames as of late. Particularly in Highstepe, even when the server isn’t busy, but also in the desert near the pillar for the ruins. Anyone else having a similar issue? I’m on a regular Vive with the latest Nvidia drivers.

YES! … I’ve never had an issue, literally not one but leading up to the 5.5 patch my performance has been choppy and I’ve been getting stuck in combat in Lamavora a lot.

It was really bad last night.

I used to play on ultra or high graphics … but now I’m on low and just walking around I get the loading screen or dropped frames a lot. Haven’t crashed yet.

Does the issue look like this? Most noticeable when watching the health bar. It only happens when facing certain areas. Weirdest part is that none of my hardware is above 75% usage when this happens.

It started about a week ago? Were you on the Beta or regular branches?

And just to confirm @Mnemonic_Ghost you are also saying the problem started before yesterday’s patch, about a week ago?

I don’t really know what we would have changed on our end, is it possible you updated your graphics driver or something?

@Riley_D I was reading that the detection for warriors was better on beta… I thought it would be good for runemage’s casts too so I did switch to beta about 4-5 days ago (after the beta downloaded) I logged on and things seemed normal … then went downhill. The next day I ‘‘opted out’’ of the beta and closed steamvr, restarted and opened Orbus in the non beta version … and it was still choppy. It was most noticable when just walking around, battles were fine but then I’d get stuck in combat and have to use the available options to get out of combat.

@Snoopy I’m getting an error on your video

Yes, this has been happening to me as well. Spells are getting extremely difficult to cast now with the lag. I can barely do affliction anymore in dungeons which I never struggled with before.

1 Like

I’m on the primary game branch. Non beta. I did updat my drivers and my vice firmware through bluetooth recently.

1 Like

Was happening really badly to me on Sunday night. Spells wouldn’t turn in mid-air when I moved my wand, sometimes it would take half a second for a cast spell to register as being cast, etc. I’m on the steam client, normal connection.

1 Like

I didn’t see any “lag” in the video. Mine would skip a portion of video and then suddenly pick up again. For example, If I walk from my house to the stairs towards guild city… my video would hiccup a few times showing the ‘patryael’ loading screen for a split second before returning me to the game world.

Player density didn’t seem to affect it bc I can be just walking through the desert completely alone and it’ll just spark up and stutter for about a min or two then be fine for a while.

I thought maybe a background process was clogging the CPU or something but nothing was showing as running. In the last 4 days, I only have like 6 hours of play and I usually play at 11pm - 4am PST and the game population is light.

So it’s like you are hitting a loading zone? Strange. I know the beta branch had better load times. Not sure if they carried that over to the standard branch. Maybe try that? You might try reinstalling Orbus.

The lag isn’t super noticeable in the Video. Only way to really see it is to watch the health bar. In my headset it feels like 45 fps.

Yeah I had heard that beta was better, but ever since I tried it I’ve had issues… now I’m back on non-beta and the issues have remained.

Can I just uninstall the beta files, or should I just do a full reinstall to clear our residual files should they remain?

Just to be safe I’d do a full reinstall. I’ll do the same and see if my issue persists.

1 Like

Okay well the problem with these type of threads is everyone starts to pile on them and it’s likely not the same issue. For example, Draven what it sounds like you are describing is more network lag, unless you’re saying that locally when you moved your wand, the wand itself wasn’t moving quickly. If the wand itself was moving just fine locally, and it was just the spell itself was slow to respond, that was probably just network lag which we are already working on in preparation for this weekend.

Graphical lag would be if like teh whole entire game “skips” (e.g. your local hands skip around).

For Mneumonic Ghost, it sounds like you are just hitting the loading areas. The default branch has the same chunk loading as the Beta now, there’s no difference. You might try a reinstall as requested just to be sure. But the way the new loading system works is, it does more frequent, smaller loads, as opposed to less frequent, large loads, which I would think for most people would be better. What kind of specs do you have on your computer?

Also does that mean you are only experiencing issues when walking through the world large distances (e.g. between villages), but when you are just in one spot or a dungeon things are fine?

I don’t wanna lose my saved data how do I do a safe uninstall?.. anything special?

All of your data is stored server-side, so no worries there. Just do an uninstall using the standard Steam/Oculus process.

Yea Snoopy, mine is much worse than your video. A lot of frame drops.

Devin was the 9th around when you updated your graphics card drivers? I am on 388.59 still, you might try that and see if it helps, can’t hurt to check.

Hey Riley,

I’m at work now so I can’t record a video or get access to my logs until later. But my issue is that when I move my Vive to look around in Highstep and other areas of the game. It definitely is juttering around and dropping frames.

I’ll give it a shot to revert my drivers to 388.59… my other thought was that I enabled Bluetooth on my Vive for the firmware updates… perhaps thats taking up Bandwidth and causing an issue? I’m not getting the same lag in Rec Room as I am currently experiencing in Orbus.