Potion Balancing

I’m sure this is something being considered, but, having crafted and tested most potions, I had some thoughts:

• Concentrated healing potions are a little over costed. -1 Spiralback seems better for a single use healing item. Where they are now, they’re too expensive to use, I feel.
  • Speed potions are fun, but need an actual duration. At least 1 minute, perhaps 5 or 10.
  • Masked scent also need a duration boost. For such a niche effect, I’d really want to see at least 1 hour, perhaps 2 or 3. Or a dramatic reduction in ingredients.
  • Potions of boosting, ostensibly having a similar effect to empowered strike, should be similarly costed and timed. (Edit: On testing, it seems like boosting and empowered strike have similar durations. I still feel boosting potions may be over costed, requiring a wider variety of both fish and plants)

These are kind of off the cuff, and perhaps the potions have different design goals than I’m imagining. Anyone else have thoughts?

Also, I’m still trying to age a few of these, so that may mitigate some concerns.

2 Likes

I do hope they give potions a pass at some point. Though I think its intended for potions to require coordinated efforts to make via wilds farming or fishing.

Are you sure boosting potions last shorter than empowered strikes? I don’t think that should be the case.

The coordination is great. None of the potions are terribly poorly constructed in that regard.

I need to retest those potions to be sure. It might have been aged strikes vs unaged boosting, but I figured that only affects the strength of the effect, not duration.

I would love if they lowered the sound on the body glow potion, I feel like I’m going deaf every time I or someone in my party uses it.

1 Like

Aging does not affect duration

This! Oh please this! i feel like my own weapon is cursed when i use these potions.

1 Like

On testing again, it looks like I was mistaken. Both potions expire at the same rate.

The fact that the Concentrated healing potion uses 2 Sour Bells I feel makes them too expensive for use. It should require Wilds herbs to make but It shouldn’t be equally as costly as boosters to make. 1 Sour Bell and possibly more basic herbs/fish would be a nicer balance.

Giant’s potion doesn’t scale properly and has the head and arms are comically awkward positions.

The difference between normal and aged fish attractor potions seem pretty drastic. Normal potions offer a small enough bonus that it’s barely noticeable, while the aged version basically puts bacon on all your hooks and nabs a fish the second it hits the water.

Body glow potions are adequately pricey as their effect is very useful in dungeons, however the sound they emit basically forces the group to choose: either run the dungeon blind or deaf. Either fight in the dark or fight with a blaring “WOOOOOOOO!!!” playing the entire time. Does it really need a sound effect?

From what I can tell only one single thing in the whole game uses Apples: fish attractors. Could more recipes be mixed up a bit to add more variety in ingredients?

Fish attractors and ability reset potions. However, ability reset potions are a fairly niche effect and very expensive, beyond the one apple.

I actually think pretty much all the potions for mats are where they should be at. I think concentrated potion is at where it needs to be. You shouldn’t be spamming health pots during a fight. If you are, that means you are most likely missing some kind of boss mechanic. The point is to use them sparingly.

1 Like

dont suppose someone could pm me with the recipe for concentrated healing potion by chance? would appreciate it thanks. Btw are the concentrated recipes actually found in game? cause i swear ive been up and down the game with ithecac active and just cant find them lol

All recipes can be found in game.

are some of the hidden ones found in the various wilds by chance? cause it seems like thats the only place i havent thoroughly checked just trying to figure out why i cant seem to find any concentrated recipes

None in Wilds, afaik, but at least one is not in the open map.

I feel like the luck potion should either last longer or give a higher chance than it does for a drop. Right now it’s equivalent to wearing a luck ring. For the mats it takes, it only last for 5 minutes, which is one boss fight. It would be nice if it lasted 1 hr or gave an extra 50% drop due to all the mats it takes.

5 minutes? That’s not too bad actually; during the first (and only) time I used it, I thought it lasted about 1 minute.

On some more testing, speed potions can be neat. I would still appreciate a travel potion (“Stamina potion”? “Endurance potion”?). Something like:

• Effect: 10 minutes of stamina bonus (50% of speed potion, perhaps 25% unaged)
  • Cost: Some mix of sunfish, cloak fish, king sweeties, roto spores. Basically, easier to find, lesser-class ingredients. Something that’s accessible so it works just as a convenience.
  • Limit: Ends on entering combat or is simply inactive during combat.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.