Push to talk? Why is it missing? No, really... why?

I think ptt is a good thing. Being able to hear everything on the other side can be very nerve wrecking on the other end of the line where you cannot do anything.

Just an example that happened for real in orbusvr.

Hear someone coughing their lungs out and near choking… i stayed around that person for 10 minutes untill she came back… you feel very tense to say the least if you are in a situation like that and you cannot do anything but wait… luckily that person came back in the end and talked to me and told me it was a normal thing for her she experienced on a daily basis but if that wasnt the case and she logged off it would def kept me wondering for a very very long time untill i get a chance to see that person again,

1 Like

it is not 3 seconds, it is more like 15 seconds and idk about you but mid raid listening to 7 other people breathing and snorting doesn’t sound like fun to me. If you just ask them all to mute then if tehy DO need to say something that is a lot of wasted time mid fight to unmute yourself (assuming you dont die while doing this).

In general because there is no push to talk, i just stay muted and don’t interact with others because I would prefer not to have other people listen to me make noises, cough, sing along to my music, etc. Sure it’s fun to “hear” people. but if they are talking in town, you hear them anyways, I don’t see the advantage of open mics for no reason.

unfortunately as mentioned, as soon as i realized I had an open mic in game, I found out how to mute myself and did it and stayed muted, there are def times I would say something to someone, but because of the effort to unmute myself, i just don’t about 80% of the time. It’s not worth the hassle unless they are literally right in my face following me saying “hey hey hey” waving their arms asking in a 9 year old voice “where are you going” lol… maybe that’s the magic you want us to be social with, idk :stuck_out_tongue: (this happens like everytime i play)

Having push to talk would make the game much more social for those of us who don’t want to share every detail of whats happening in our rooms, with the world continuously. I actually avoid going near people who have open mics because most of the time listening to them heavy breathing while fishing is just weird and uncomfortable.

PPT default should be a thing, there is a whole tutorial in the beginning about the menu and audio. if the option is in there, they will see it, and if they choose to live the hot mic life, then they will.

@Arthanos Well if you read up, I did talk about streaming the game, in fact the very reason I started this topic was because I tried streaming the game and it was pretty inconvenient, since I was talking to my chat non stop, which I didn’t want to broadcast all over the in-game world out of consideration for others… then every time somebody came up to me in-game and asked me something I either had to be ‘mute’ and try to communicate by waving or bring up the menu and unmute myself, which turned everything to a boring ‘gameplay’ stream without authentic reactions for the time being.
After a week or two I simply gave up because of this and moved on to streaming other games… I tried looking for other solutions, but I have the Oculus Store version and not the Steam one so advanced settings and stuff that most people try to use weren’t available.

Also… imo you guys are over-complicating it out of the sheer ‘fear’ of losing immersion… Push to talk isn’t a new experimental feature in gaming… been around for decades… yet people still play games and the ones who wish to use PTT in other games use it… while the ones who want an open mic still use that… it’s all about the FREEDOM OF CHOICE… No need to do hand gestures and other complicated stuff… just add push to talk and don’t set that as the default option so people try the open mic at first and then if they still want PTT they should be able to change to that.

At this point, reading up on the comments… this is starting to come across as some form of really twisted ‘bullying’ from the developers, since they have their own opinion made up already and regardless of what the community asks they’re like… 'Nope! We don’t like people using push to talk so we’re not even giving you a non-default option to do it! I mean we’re talking about an interface feature and not the direction the game takes… it’s pretty much the equivalent of Microsoft deciding they’re gonna remove the font size selector from Word because they don’t like big letters so they don’t want people using them… Isn’t this the point of Early Access?

Cheers!

I’ve read through quite a few of the posts on this, But so far I’m not shore how many people mentioned that controller’s have a lot more limited inputs than keyboards. take the vive you have a touchpad with multiple imputes but still down to up, down, left and right you can count it as up right, up left and so forth, there is also the menu button start button grips and trigger, oculus rift has 2 buttons, thumb stick trigger and 1 grip per controller, all of Theas buttons already have a assigned input, one input had to be dubbled up on for AOE mute, so taking that in to account we run out of input. I can see the point your making, and i’m shore the devs do as well. so instead of saying there bullying you maybe take in to account how that you controllers are meant to fit your hand so they can only have a limited size and just enjoy a fun game. ( on a side note there is a lot of work that come in to doing communication in games currently not only do we have our normal open mic but it also has a range drop off to it, it still can bug out when entering buildings and things like that so adding another layer of things that can go wrong at the moment may not be the best idea when what we currently have works ok at the moment, so let them polish it and then the next parts can be added in.)

Unfortunately you cannot make everyone happy. This subject had already been addressed and i’m sure Ferenc has heard it all. We could all keep this going, but at this time, maybe it would be a good idea to close this thread.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.