PVP Node Diversity

I agree with that. I don’t believe everyone has a price or that PVP should be incentivized to the moon and back. This isn’t to the moon and back. It’s making an incentive that’s already pretty agreeableb to those who have to do without, PVP nodes, a slight boost to visibility and utility, while not messing with the basic economic principles.

1 Like

I agree PvP nodes should be more visible :slight_smile: . I was never disagreeing with you if that was not clear by the way :wink: . I am all for improvements to PvP nodes.

2 Likes

I mean yeah that would be fair as long as it was only a booster towards catching up in PvE content and not more powerful why not… If you can get gear from PvP, that can also be used in PvE of equal power, there is nothing wrong with that i guess… That is how other MMOs do it right? They make PvP gear (tailored mostly for PvP) viable enough to boost you through PvE content a bit if you ever wish to do some PvE. ideally PvP gear should be awarded for PvP to start with (surprised that isnt in the game honestly).

1 Like

add a red glow for pvp nodes or something so that, as a user:

• If I have PvP flagged off, I see the red glow and know there are PvP nodes around
    as a result, I want to switch on pvp so I can go back and mine them. That would be cool.

My choice to take the risk or not to take the risk to get them in a controlled and prepared manner :3.

That would have the benefit of driving more players to PVP, since they’d actually be aware of the incentive, even if they’re not part of the 10% of people on the forums. Although, I don’t think it precludes my suggestion, which is still a necessary boost to utility for PVP folk. Also, the glow in that case ought to be visible with PVP on as well. A big problem with incentives is when you don’t know you’re getting them!

I disagree with adding glows showing for pve players. People who want to pvp are going to pvp. People who don’t want to won’t. Make it clear what the benefits are, but I definitely don’t want to see random glowy spots all throughout the world reminding me of that.

I think making some resources spawn randomly in overworld (not just extra standard nodes) is a good idea. I also think making them glow for pvp players may be a good idea if it’s not too graphic intensive.

Most games with pvp gear that I have seen will either make pvp gear less impactful compared to pve gear in general or make them totally different. I think adding affixed tailored to pvp for pvp gear might be a good balance (+/- % damage against pvp targets, as example). These items won’t be as effective in pve and that’s good. Keep near the same armor rating and stats and you have a good incentive both ways without forcing people in either direction.

I agree with J’s interpretation of forcing. If you make something so impactful to pve progression (like 3x herbs gathered per node or something) you are making it so that to be on top of the pve curve, you have to have pvp on. That is forcing people to switch to pvp solely to get the pve benefit rather than for a reason revolving around pvp.

It’s fine to have some resource node incentive for pvp simply because it makes it more fight-intensive on overworld around resource generation. Too much is definitely a bad thing. 25% is probably a good balance IMHO.

2 Likes

What would be really fun is PvP timed events where chests spawn. Itd have something like the light indicator but a 15 minute light instead so that people can gather and fight. THAT would be really fun.

Sure, but that’s neither here nor there. Although I do find it funny the only public event in old Orbus was PVP, but now none of them are.

I enjoyed the chest thing but instead of a pvp matchup it became a meta game of how to cheese your way to the safe zone while repelling 50 ressurections of the same people you’d already beat. Something about it felt kinda wonky.

I’d have preferred if, when the timer spawned, the gates closed, and you had to arena it out and the victor was the victor! :slight_smile:

1 Like

seeming this has turned in to an argument, I remember the one of the deves saying something like that the more people in the community the more options they will add for pvp.

I have unlocked the thread and we have removed posts that were unrelated to the original topic, which will be dealt with via PM.

1 Like

Open World PvP is a tricky beast. We tried an approach in the base game that I thought was interesting but it did not really have the result that we had intended. It’s really, really hard to find good incentives for PvP that reward people who want it, don’t feel so OP that people feel forced into it, and discourage behaviour we don’t want to see (like ganking new players who have aren’t really making an informed choice to participate in it and have no idea what’s going on).

The current implementation is designed to give some incentive to people who might be “on the fence” about PvP, but at the same time not be so overpowered that everyone feels like they have to do it to enjoy the parts of the game they do like (e.g. if they are primarily PvE players).

I think I have already mentioned this, but I do have plans to add additional Open World PvP activities, including a “shooting star” type system which creates something which you fight over in random places in the world at random times, as one example. We’ve also discussed a dueling system if that is something people would be interested in as another way of engaging in PvP combat.

3 Likes

I hadn’t heard of that. Sounds like an exciting system, though. Especially with how enjoyable exploring the world is now.

As long as we’re not dying at the end and dropping our hard-earned loot, I’m good with this and might (as a PVE-only player) actually use it. If you want to add a betting function to this (to up the stakes if people want to), I think that’s a good idea. I do hope that you will allow wins in this kind of activity to also benefit PVP rankings (you don’t drop loot in the battlegrounds and it’s a team sport to head off the argument that this is somehow different than PVP in battlegrounds wrt losing gear).

1 Like

I honestly think seeing PvP adoption is a waiting game… Like in many MMO’s, a majority of the player base see PvP secondary to whatever their primary goals are (which I think is fine). I am gonna bet that most people will start PvPing later on in content when they have completed their primary goals.

Generally this incentive is already in the game through the PvP ranking and rewards… It just wont be most peoples priority on launch… Which is totally healthy and fine.

Do you plan on making it something similar to open world events? The lamavora chest spawning was epic fun last time. Would it have some reward system like this? Just wondering.

would love to see these two ideas when you guys get around it, IMO the dueling system should have optional rule boxes to either check or uncheck such as, potions on\off, each class on\off and unlike original orbus pvp arena it would be nice if it was mob free

I personally feel that the base game orbus pvp idea was immaculate… Now i’m not saying that there are not issues with the old pvp but i’m suggesting that the wilds was a great opportunity to encourage others to go out and risk getting “high tier” ingredients and fish for a risk of dying and losing your loot. If a player was looking for these ingredients and did not want to risk losing them they could buy them pretty overpriced in the stalls. The wilds offered the opportunity for pvp players to get there pvp experience since it was constrained in a certain area rather than persisting in a huge open world. The people who wanted to risk getting expensive mats and fish would have to take the risk of getting into a pvp fight. regarding the nodes and specific fish they would still only be available to these “wilds zones”. Not everybody may feel this way and prefer open world pvp better but i do know lots of people still prefer the wilds over open world pvp…

1 Like

While I do agree aberration farming in the wilds was awesome and would love to see it return, I wasn’t a fan of the wilds chest after the first few weeks. I do like the wilds though and would love to see them return in some way

1 Like

Open World PVP opens plenty of new opportunities, but Wilds were a indeed fun concept. Hopefully World PVP gets the needed love, with balances to resource bonuses, public PVP event support, and keeping the world relevant (e.g. by not overpowering the loot crates to the point dungeons provide everything).

We come back to the same topic of pvp as a forced mechanic for pve players. Those of us who have no intention to pvp will be forced into partaking for the pve advantages of those higher tiered resources. I’m glad they moved away from this!

1 Like