PVP Overworld Equipment Repair

It was pointed out that a goodly amount of PVP players have started to go naked due to the frequency of equipment breaking when fighting other players and the new repair costs.

A suggestion that was made that seems like it would help solve that issue is to have a PVP repair discount that works like the 10% PVP Exp bonus.

9 Likes

I like it but my only worry is that people will just swap to pvp for that 10%

1 Like

The way the 10% Exp works is it disappears on all missions currently held if a player disables PVP at any time (for any reason).

It could work the same way for equipment.

If a player leaves PVP on they get the discount. If they turn it off, no discount.

2 Likes

I just reallly wish gear wouldn’t break after 3 deaths… that’s more annoying than anything

5 Likes

Indeed @Rickness_Voidwalker, that would be nice! XD

Perhaps there could be a PVP equipment affix that makes our equipment more durable when PVP is enabled.

On the discount front, am thinking it would need to be significant. There are 6 possible goblin spawns a day. So, 6 guaranteed chances for a player to get their equipment trashed. each. day. :joy_cat:

This is without factoring in the additional normal PVP encounters.

1 Like

If pvp is on, the durability of armor should be double what it is now, at least.

3 Likes

Pretty common in MMO’s to lower the durability damage caused by deaths while in PvP combat (by a lot more than 10%). This is also more convenient than a reduction in repair cost. If you die to mobs without recently being in combat with a player, you still get full durability loss.

Most games keep track of what you’re in combat with. So onDeath() or whatever they just need to parse the list and check if any enemies are players, then in their durability-loss function / section of code just pass a variable with how much durability to lose rather than use static values. Or probably easier to set a bool to determine if they died in player-combat or not and pass it forward which would effect the value used for applying durability loss to armor, depends what they have already.

However there are times when monsters assist in a pvp death. You may miss your target and a monster will aggro on you. This could screw up who actually got the kill.

2 Likes

I feel triggered by this sentence Lance … are you referring to my pulling a pack of mobs by missing Gundrak, lance … are you suggesting I should have git Gud , are you suggesting I need a handy cap of some sort … maybe someone to hold my wand for me … Jk jk , maybe , maybe not, jk

But yes I have burned xx K dram in a day too many times on repair costs. I made a class to die on to get arround some of them …

1 Like

Hey now @Espiticus, we all know PVPPE is a viable fighting style. :joy_cat:

looks suspiciously at your wand to be sure no push-backs are coming my way

1 Like

We appreciate the feedback, and while I can’t really speak about the costs at this time, we would like to add some sort of portable repair option in the future. We don’t know yet what exact form it would take, but an item that would let you repair in the field instead of having to return to town.

That should also help in spots like world boss runs.

2 Likes

In the case where a monster assists in PvP, you are still in PvP with a player, and you suffer reduced durability loss. It doesn’t matter who gets the kill, just that you are in combat with a player. You check the player’s aggro list for any player at all, or even recent aggro depending how they’d want to do it / what they have already. This does mean you can divebomb a mob and try to save on some dram but that’s basically trivial compared to the QoL increase.

1 Like

@Delceri good point.

Lance & Espiticus are just making jokes about how we looks shifty “soomeeetimeees” use mobs to kill each other for fun. XD

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.