Reborn isn't for me

Of course we know this but if we want them to take our ideas to the board and question if it’s something they are interested in implementing or not we have to first speak up about our ideas hence why we are here posting them.

2 Likes

I do really enjoy the new nebulous styled lore quests, however an RPG, even an MMORPG is really made by its story and world building, the lack of a Main Story quest certainly diminishes the game.

However, I could easily accept the Main story not kicking off until after the raid, we are in a apocalyptic world at the moment, nearly everything is gone, hardly any civilization left, any story could be logically not really begin until after the raid happens, that could begin the world moving forward again.

Still, at the end of the day, people tend to get drawn in to the lore attached to the game and become loyal by playing the story as it unfolds

2 Likes

Oh no. I agree that sharing our ideas ect is the way to go especially with such interactive receptive devs. I was more talking to OP.

1 Like

Please no hints or clues! As long as they’re functioning properly someone will find them eventually. The mystery is what makes them worthwhile. Let us go crazy trying to figure it out

5 Likes

letsac eruseart

20 characters

I was just talking about this in game last night … OG orbus I would log in and just chill around Highstepp . I never felt like I was wasting my time . I would help out new players and hop in any groups being formed and sometimes just wandered around the world enjoying the scenery.

This game I hit 30 without even seeing all the zones, and had no desire to, the world is flat and lifeless and it feels increasingly like the game has been remade in the image of the playerbase they want and not the playerbase they have.

OG orbus was so good and I would find peaceful places in zones I liked and just hang out.

High grass in jungle parting to a lake I’d fish at , not for mats but just to enjoy.

Wind swept desert I would wander watching the lights on the sands.

On the snowy ice I would hunt , cast a line for some blue salamanders.

Through the fields of flowers I would wonder.
Enjoy a hot tub retreat.

In the grass of Sen’s farm I would loiter , decimating redtail populations on casual wim.

Through the apple orchard to chat with the ghosts and pet the wolves.

Through the fortress and down the side path through the birch trees swaying in the Breeze.

Chat with the lady of the lake after testing my Mage abilities.

Walk past the pigs ,spiders and dungeon to the forest on fire being nested in by dragons.

Past the town of booze makers.

Out onto the Plains , to the docks to watch the great pirate ship awaiting the last of its cargo.
Wave to all the npcs … go chat with the worgs.

Get a compass shout for a shard run , return home to Highstepp , smile.

8 Likes

I’ve often suggested bringing in something they used in FFXI which was notorious monster hunting. These Were basically hundreds of rare monsters that would have anywhere from 5 hour to 7 day respawn timers. Scattered across the world in many different places. These could drop VERY good loot(not a 100% chance) the rush of being able to tag/claim the monster first was very intense. If you managed to kill it and the loot dropped it was even more satisfying. But yeah overall the world is pretty damn boring and lost its magic imo. There are many things that could be done to fix this. More zones to explore, treasure hunting, rare monster hunting,etc.

4 Likes

Yeah this concept was big in many MMO’s although fixing locations and schedule is always a bad idea because it becomes a camp fest and sets meta-required gear, but a treasure goblin always perks players up! I’ve always enjoyed it when they were quire rare and nobody could really know or claim them, some joe random n00b would get a unique or legendary drop while just playing the game and be completely stoked, rather than 15 guilds organizing sleep rotations to pounce on an egg timer.

1 Like

Thats the game I want to play!

3 Likes

I appreciate the feedback. One of the main goals in Reborn that I’ve discussed before was to get everything to a point where we were using our own in-house assets rather than 3rd party assets. The reason for this is pretty simple – we could never have gotten the game to a decent performance point without having more control over the art pipeline. The downside to that is it was very easy to get a wide range of assets before (e.g. snowy, desert, etc.) because they were one click away. Of course we were paying for that ease by having areas where we were pushing 5 million triangles (good VR needs to be less than 1-2 million ideally).

It is entirely possible that we missed the mark in some ways by focusing too much on that performance goal and not enough on pushing for a wider array of environment variety. As we discussed in the blog today, we’ll continue to push forward on that and introduce new areas to the overworld where we’re able, and we’ll also be making it a priority to increase the environment variety in future patches.

5 Likes

Regarding this thread, I think at this point it’s probably time to close it off, not because I don’t want to see discussion around these issues, but because it’s pretty messy to just have one giant “here’s everything I want to see changed about Reborn” thread. This thread has talked about gameplay decisions, economy, drop rarity, hidden quests, how we should have just wiped everything and started over, and about a half dozen other things.

If folks would like to make a thread about environment variety, or economy, or game balance, or anything else, then that’s totally fine and welcome, but I think it would be better served to do so in threads dedicated to each topic rather than one megathread like this. So feel free to start a new topic if you would like to keep discussing anything in here and we’ll do our best to keep addressing concerns as we’re able. Thanks!

EDIT: Actually I decided, I won’t actually close it, since I don’t want to stymie any discussion, but just request that unless you are responding to the actual OP’s topic (which was 94 posts ago), you go ahead and make a new thread for any new discussions if possible. Thank you.

8 Likes

I do not completely agree to this statement but I do understand the point being made. I will say that although there are quests that require me go to certain areas to complete, over all I do not feel a need to explore or better yet return to zones. I think this is partly due to the already discussed scaling of the over world and centralization of dungeons, quest givers, and Highstepe in general (BTW I do not completely dislike).
I truly liked being able to party with new groups and helping them if I was of a higher level so that they could gain access to areas outside of their ability level. Although the game is still fairly new, I personally do not see that happening as much because most stuff is scaled. Other than my knowledge of where “stuff” is located, what benefit am I providing as my strength (typically indicated by my level) is no longer as relevant. I personally feel that the scaling had the opposite effect in encouraging groups to form in the overworld and explore. In the dungeons it works just not, in my opinion, having one the intended effects in the overworld. I kind of hope that the area immediately outside of Highstepe stays scaled and the rest might move back to normal.
I am not saying that many of use do not understand the reasoning behind scaling, I just think that it didn’t achieve one of the goals for implementing it into the game and that is to make it easier for everyone to explore while giving more of a reason for high and low leveled players to group.
It might also be a case for casual players, not the hard core levelers, that we are not really required, maybe even that it is not necessary, to explore and unlock new areas to keep leveling or get to new content. Again, with how fast characters can level I am not sure scaling achieves the intended effect.
We were given the keys to the kingdom, we saw everything, said “That’s nice” and now we stay clustered where it is convenient.
Personally I miss the old orbus and stick around not because of the new content but because of the friends that were made. Also because I want to support the game and be around when new ideas are implemented.

3 Likes

I am only playing because of my friends as well.

3 Likes

I got on and played Orbus every day because I loved the game. I struggled to find a reason to start up reborn, never in a hurry to.
Decided to take a break from the game for now. Odd that with the added variety in the game that it feels so boring.

4 Likes

Just to post at least one different view, I actually do like to hang out in Reborn just like I did in the old game…
I did explore the world in the Beta already and I am very surprised that people would not want to check out Wastelands or Hulthines which I find even more pretty and creative than some zones in the old game.

Specially Wastelands is great to roam around and farm, with the droprate of fishing mats I am likely gonna spend lots of hours there, as well as with fishing itself. I will most likely visit all zones regularly for mats, in the long run, already running out of some mats after the chest-shower is over.

The things I do in downtimes is farm, fish, and craft, there’s also 4 classes left to level for which I do events and dailies… potions will always be needed, to sell or use them myself to work on dungeons in evenings; specially the events where many in a zone gather allow to meet up with more people than before, as well as the dungeon queue. Overall there’s more to do than in the OG now.

Very much looking forward to more npcs, quests, extensions, variety etc. but - just my view - there’s nothing wrong with the landscapes, resources and fish spread, but I am also not too clinchy to old contents of any game, always up for new.

5 Likes

Hulthines and the Wastelands are indeed very unique and refreshing

Hulthines in particular, especially with the fishing, its a whole new experience, love it

3 Likes

Look how many problems with reborn. I feel we were/are better off with OG Orbus.

4 Likes

Patience my friend!

1 Like

I think it boils down to the fact that the orbus dev team made a lot of positive changes for reborn, but any time you introduce a bunch of changes, you usually end up introducing a bunch of bugs. I’ve heard a lot of good feedback about reborn (performance, new classes, QoL), and the bad feedback usually comes down to bugs - but that will take time to fix. I think a lot of people are speaking with a nostalgic point of view, but for what I can tell, people would not be super interested in going back to vanilla because they played as much of it as they were going to.

5 Likes

If they spent as much time fixing and adding to vanilla orbus people would have been happier. Move the level cap to 30 open up a new different raid and new areas. People would have paid for it as an expansion even. They should have took the time and finish reborn before they took away our old game.

1 Like