Returning (pre reborn) player bugs/issues

I posted this 3 days ago in the “compiling a list of…” thread, but it doesn’t look like it is being actively read hence the repost of all the issues i experienced during a few hours of play:

So, coming back to play orbusVR: Reborn. Haven’t played since the original version. Deleted my original 20 archer to start fresh. Bugs/issues noticed so far:

• infolog (xp, buffs etc) is so high in the air above the character that it is barely readable for me. Can’t find any settings to adjust its position

• lvl 1 tutorial leads you to silius (or name along those lines) with a dragon race quest with very large red arrows pointing to his location. However, as a fresh character i have no dragon to race with.

• same npc talks about some lost item. After exhausting his dialoque (except the dragon part is still there), the very large arrows are still pointing towards him. This is just confusing to a new player and adds no value, rather the opposite

• player house tinkerer tutorial: Tells you how tinkering works and gives you a blueprint for an orbus picture, some wood and some cloth. After depositing these in the tinkerers chest (either by button or manual), then selecting the orbus picture recipe, it continuously claims one or more ingredients are missing. I have yet to get this working and gave up figuring out why.

• crashing/disconnecting out of the game. I have tried both default and alternate connection type. There does not seem to be a discernable difference for me with either.

• desync i guess? dying, but still being “barely alive” on the client, while other players see your tombstone. Having to relog to fix this.

• tombstones not always “working” when going back to them. Instead of lighting up, they do… nothing and just stay there.

• Shaman totems (fire and lightning orb ones i believe it was) occasionally stop spawning orbs after being deployed, and the player is left without them until they can be redeployed. I assume this is the same issue as with archer special shots not always working/respawning correctly (an issue that also was present in the original version of orbus)

• passing through doors spawns you facing the door you passed through instead of the direction you were going. That is just bad design in my opinion.

• picking up scrolls (like new recipes, lore etc) does not tell you what you picked up other than that a new journal entry was added. Opening the journal, there is no indication of what is new, and the player has to go through more or less the whole thing and “guess” what they haven’t seen before. Also very bad design in my opinion.

• You can not move on the log in screen (other than normal roomscale movement). Only once logged in does locomotion/teleport work. This ought to be fairly easily fixable and add QoL to those who has set up for a seated experience (which some of the classes can do just fine). In essense, this means that if a player is sitting on the edge of his defined player space, they can not reach/see/move to the character/connection/log in selection without getting up. This issue is minor, but should still be fixed.

• hardware used: Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Touch, win10, i5 2500k, 16gb ram, gtx 970, ssd, natively run through oculus home (aka bought there)

I think those are all the issues i’ve encountered so far since coming back, but that is quite a lot more than there should be after all this time!

Edit:

• World map POI marker is only a small color change to white which is barely noticeable. A good contrast color, blinking, pulsing or other (even combined) effect(s) would work much better. As it currently is, it can be hard to spot what changes.
1 Like

It would be good if you could relocate the infolog with relocation anchors like tool belt items etc.

The red arrows in the tutorial are confusing, every new player I help says so

I have not had an issue with the tinkering tutorial but I did it a long time ago. So it may have changed.

Crashing and desync issue seem to be getting better with each update. They still happen.

I have seen my tombstone light up but not disappear, it stays there untill I change zones.

2 Likes

Hi there, welcome back to Orbus. We appreciate the feedback and we are definitely aware and want to improve on the bugs you mentioned in the future.

There were also a few points of confusion I can specifically talk about and hopefully help with.

Dragon Racing isn’t required to complete the tutorial, only speaking with the NPC once, but that isn’t immediately obvious during the quest. You can purchase one from the NPC next to Sicilus for a few dram once you have it (I believe after the tutorial you would have enough.)

In a similar fashion, all the Mission vendors have what we call “Lore Quests” that are side quest chains and the lost item one is part of that. They are optional, but it’s not immediately clear as they are served to the player right away.

But the arrow will stop pointing once the tutorial quest is complete, which this part only requires you to speak to Sicilus and Darius.

We should update the explanation on this tutorial in the future, the reason it didn’t work is that you must first dismantle the blueprint to “unlock” it. This was added as a quality of life feature recently to save on inventory space.

I believe if you pick up one of these new pages that grants the notification, then open your journal, it should automatically scroll to the new page. But this may not be working for all page “types”, so we’ll have to look into it.

I hope these answers were of some help, and welcome back once again.

Hmm, i am pretty sure i both spoke to Sicilus and Darius and the red arrows remained. However, that was a bit ago, and i will have to re-check if that is still the case.

Regarding the tinkerer tutorial, i figured that part out yesterday when i went back to the player house and noticing the “*break down blueprint to unlock” part. I don’t know if that line was there the first time, either way though i don’t think the tutorial flavor text itself mentioned that part.

The tooltip on blueprints should probably also reflect this. The chest deposit button should not deposit blueprints either then i guess, since they are not actually used in there.

The rest of the tinkerer tutorial went fine.

However, once the orbus picture was assembled, i tried it in a couple of the different build chests to hang it in “my” house. In all of the places and slots i tried, the picture was attached sideways, sticking out of the wall (with the right side part of the picture frame inside the wall) rather than rotated 90 degrees clockwise and flush with the wall.

Regarding scrolls, i think i tried that but i am not sure. There is also the very likely possibility that a player picks up more than one scroll before looking at the journal, and then the same problem appears.

The normal way to solve this in most games is to have an indicator ( [new], a red dot, blinking or similar) on categories containing new information, and again a similar marker next to subcategories and/or the information itself until it has been viewed by the player. The viewed part usually also has a condition (like time elapsed, mouse over - in this case perhaps “hand over”) to ensure the player doesn’t accidentally flip past the information without noticing.

Regarding the infolog, heck, a small tilt f ex from | to / would probably also make a world of difference in readability.

An extra thing to note here:

I have been using glasses for the past 25 years or so, but they don’t fit (or very poorly) in my old rift which of course makes matters worse, so often i play vr without glasses on. On top of that, the resolution isn’t as good as it is on f ex a vive or a quest 2. The HMDs will of course improve over time, but there are probably many with older ones like me or similar issues :slight_smile:

Just watched the “new” tutorial videos for reborn, and i couldn’t help noticing the blue square highlights on the locomotion settings also being in the video (like focus markers in f ex html).

Why are they there? They seem to serve no purpose, and the videos do not mention them either. Even more so, they look like an overlay while scrolling this page. Something that ought to be fixed yesterday.

Also, why are these videos not readily available in f ex the player house? It would be an obvious place to make a new player aware of their existence as well tie in to the tutorial part of the player house.

Just did 4 dungeon runs.

The first one was unpleasant, as noone noticed or asked that i was a “new” player and rushed through, not noticing i died at some point. I left that group and logged off.

However, the next 3 dungeon runs were very pleasant. From the first run experience, i made sure to tell the group that i was new to reborn, and each run was very good. Some with highly experienced players, some with players new to reborn or the game as a whole like me. All runs ended well and had a good atmosphere.

Only things of note here i guess, would be the delay on the levers on the final boss slime dude from pulling until waters pours out. And probably some desync too as he sometimes switched from green to blue (from my point of view) without being hit by the water i was seeing.

Oh yeah, another thing to note. Some of the dungeons have a portal out at the end, and others do not. Why the inconsistency? - I took special notice of players using the “to graveyard” mechanic to get around this. That really shouldn’t be necessary right?

Oh while i remember on the “large red quest arrows” issue:

• After the first session, the arrows disappeared. But generally arrows should (of course) lead you to where you need to go. In other words, in the case of the Sicilus and Darius quest:

• Arrows lead to either Sicilus or Darius first (whichever is closest to the player would make sense)

• Once one of the 2 part speak to quest objectives is done, the arrows should switch to the second objective. In other words, if the player speaks to Sicilus first, they should point to Darius and vice versa. Currently - as i did it - they kept pointing at Sicilus which was the source of the confusion.

• Arrows should stop pointing once their goal has been completed. By this i mean a “speak to” objective should only have pointing arrows until that npc has been spoken to, after which the objective is different. I had one such example in this session, but i forgot which npc it was (the critter one i believe). Having the help arrows keep pointing at the npc you already spoke to and picked up the mission/quests for makes no sense and only serves to confuse the player.

Every dungeon has the portal at the entrance. None of them have a portal at the exit.

Sorry to hear about the first group :confused: typically if you die in a dungeon you just reawaken and catch back up with the group, so it’s possible that’s what they expected, but either way it sucks to feel left out of a group activity.

1 Like

Hmm, one of the dungeons i did had a portal at the end. Or maybe it was the first one where i logged out and was teleported to the entrance when i logged back in. That could be the difference.

But if that is the actual case (only portals at the start), why not have portals at the end of each?

Generally every mmorpg since the first ones (first one i played was everquest back in 1999) has had either portals at the end of a portal/raid or made sure the player has had likely opportunity to have their self teleport off cooldown or other means of transportation (leave instance/dungeon/shard/other)rather than hike back to the entrance or use “cheese” like dying (which teleporting to the graveyard is in essence).

Each of the dungeons has a single entrance in the world (entrance of the Sewers, entering the Crypt, the door to the Temple, etc). Having a portal at the exit would break lore/continuity.

At least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it :laughing:

1 Like

I can’t think of a reason an end-dungeon portal couldn’t go to the enter-dungeon area to be honest. They are portals after all, not doors :slight_smile:

On top of that, joining through a dungeon queue and exiting through the portal puts you where you were before joining rather than at the outside part of the portal entrance, so there is that too :slight_smile:

Also, just did the last of the 4 dungeons (assuming there are 4, think i read that somewhere). I don’t know their names, but i can see the achievements in oculus home:

• Victory of Mythic Proportions
  • A Slimy End
  • Fall of the Lich King
  • The mile High Club

All very fun, but the part of not having a proper exit other than running back, cheesing the graveyard or teleporting to the player house doesn’t make sense to me :smiley:

Since i did all of them through the dungeon queue, i don’t have a clue where they are actually located in the “real world”, which also breaks the “lore/continuity” :wink:

Edit:

• and technically (i guess) the airship dungeon has an end portal since it all happens in the same space and that doesn’t cause any issues :slight_smile:

Here is another bug for you and how to easily reproduce it:

• notice you are no longer in the dungeon queue, but haven’t been told you have left it
  • attempt to sign up for the dungeon queue again
  • notice that you are still in the raid queue, but not in the dungeon queue
  • leave raid queue, sign up for dungeon queue
  • now you are in the dungeon queue again. But as before, no notifications throughout the process that you can apparently only be in 1 queue at the time, and sometimes signing for another will take precedence, other times not

And another:

• sometimes/often [deposit ingredients] buttons don’t know how to stack items. Sometimes they transfer into existing stacks, sometimes they don’t (example just now: coconut milk existing stack, no autostacking, had to manually drag and stack)

• sometimes the [deposit ingredients] buttons will make a new stack rather than use an existing one

• in short the first 2 issues are related. Also, why do the crafting tables have less ingredient slots than ingredient types? The swapping around is silly. If anything, have tabs in the ingredients chests so that those can be swapped around rather than micromanage ingredients between player chest, inventory and crafting chests (or have increase storage space options for dram as that is a player goal).

Inventory micromanagement is mostly a thing of the past (or specific mostly to survival games) these days. The simple reason: History has proven that the micromanagement adds very little to the gameplay and player experience overall, and most of what is added is negative. In survival games though, it often still makes sense as it is a weighing of pros/cons for the player at the time of looting which isn’t the case here.

Here’s an auctioneer UI issue:

I gave my dragon (which i was given by someone else) to a buddy, since his didn’t have plunderer. Then i went to get one with plunderer on the auction house (in the player house). Here, i ran into a couple of issues:

• items are categorized by icon. This works fine. However, clicking on dragons only gives the option of searching for the 3 dragon types. There is no additional filtering like you would expect (size, primary color, secondary color, bonus etc). As such the player has to “mouseover” each product on sale. This leads to the second issue:

• The tooltips on the auction house are quite obviously not designed to hold lots of information. Instead they are constrained to fit within the auctionhouse window and within this only in the “icon area” (although overlapping would be fine and being in VR, the space is plenty).
    Due to this, with the many parameters on dragons, parameters are often clipped on the tooltips.
    Furthermore, their space is specific to the list position of the item being viewed: A tooltip of a listing at the top of the window will hold more information than a tooltip of a listing at the bottom of the window because the tooltip window position is fixed to start at the viewed item, and constrained to the bottom of the auction house window.

Fixes:

• “free” the listing tooltips from the constraints of the auction house window or increase the boundaries of the auction house window to match viewspace. The auction house window itself does not need to change size, only the space it can occupy (as to give tooltips more space). Middle/center the window in this space or give it fixed position. Whichever works best. “Freeing” the tooltips would probably be the cleaner option.

• have tooltips inherit their UI from a centralized tooltip class if it does not already, ensuring consistency across wherever it is viewed

• give the tooltip class adaptive positioning, so that if the canvas size would otherwise constrain the intended layout when a tooltip is attempted to be anchored at a specific position, it will attempt to reposition within the available canvas space (this is standard practice both on web and in games in general)

• Auction house filtering: If every item inherits its UI from a centralized tooltip class, all items should have their optimal layout and positioning available through this. Furthermore, each parameter in the item ought to easily be enumerated upon, as to create a generic filtering on the right side of the auction house for specific searching.

Overall, this isn’t a big deal, but one of the things that ought to be consistent across the board. It is well oiled cogs like these that make a great machine :wink:

The past few days i have been ritualisticly opening my journal every time i have picked up a scroll, read a book, taken a spell rubbing, gotten a quest update making the compas show a blue exclamation mark etc.

In most cases, the journal has just opened on the “starting” page.

Oh, i also had a case of finding and picking up a scroll in the highsteppe overworld area. I was turning it around in my hand a few times to see if any information would come up before putting in my backpack. However, i never got it in my backpack, as the scroll disappeared while holding it (and did not return to the spot i found it).

There is no “putting it in your backpack”, you just hold a scroll for a bit to unlock it, then the scroll disappears until you reload the zone.
If you didn’t get anything from it you had probably already picked it up. If you let me know which one it was, I can let you know what recipe it unlocks and you can check if you have it.

1 Like

Well that explains that then. I’ve been attempting to put them in my backpack since always i think :laughing:

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.