Secrets of Mugwood Storyline Feedback

Since we’re on the topic of the boss fight and @Rickness_Voidwalker has been nagging me to write up on this for a while I’ll write up my thoughts on the boss fight.

The fight itself was fun to figure out and there were a lot of cool and interesting mechanics and “new” ways to do mechanics we’ve seen before.
One of the things I liked the most in the fight was having different phases to the fight and not just the same rotation throughout the whole fight. Something like this where you get the boss down to say 2/3 health and it’s move-set and mechanics change up a bit and then again at 1/3 health is something I really hope will make it into future boss fights.

The adds were simple and easy to avoid/kill, but it gave you something to do. The Spider legs from the ceiling was a good way to do AoEs and could easily be sped up a bit to maker it more challenging. The “pouncing” attack also worked well for a directed AoE attack with clear indication and easy ways to make more challenging.

My main issue with the fight isn’t really the downtime, but rather that there isn’t any real combat or ways you can do it faster. The whole fight(except for the last ~20%) felt more like a sequence of minigames instead of a fight. not that it’s necessarily a bad thing, but that on it’s own without needing to play the mechanics of your class made it kinda dull.

The mechanics could work really well as mechanics happening while you’re fighting a boss instead of happening as it’s own thing.
So say the boss takes around 10% damage while the shield is up, the orb appears more frequently and the shield breaks when the orb is thrown at the boss(without the boss taking damage from the orb) and it then takes full damage for 10 seconds or so before the shield comes back. Then it would keep repeating the first phase until the boss’ health is decreased by the amount the orb currently deals to the boss and then it would move on to the next phase.
Not saying you should change it now, just giving an example of how the mechanics could be used in a way that I think could work well and be fun in shard dungeons.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.