Server-Side Patch 4.79

I’d feel like it would work best if we could treat affliction like the other DoTs and limit it to one-stack from each person, similar to how DoTs would work with warlocks in WoW. That way we could craft our rotations more towards the fights we’ll be getting in rather than having to tailor it to how many mages are in the group.

1 Like

So assuming you are doing all testing with no Talents active, how much damage does a Fireball 2, Fireball 3, and buffed Ice Lance attack do? And also how much damage is an unbuffed Ice Lance?

I personally don’t understand the “I wanna cast the same rotation on a boss regardless of who is there” mentality. If more mages are there and you swap it up a little bit to min max then that’s what would make someone a good player vs being a robot.

1 Like

Fireball 2: 4.3k
Fireball 3: 6.1k
Ice lance (base): 1.9k
Ice lance (buffed): 3.7k (x2?)
Just can’t see the other value on the buffed ice lance

I disagree with this. You’ll need to coordinate with other mages in the group and establish your rotation and each mage assignment for maximum dps. One thing would be nice if you could see which buffs were yours. Maybe have them bigger on the target or darker colored so they stick out.

1 Like

So that means a total buffed Ice Lance is doing 5.6k damage per Lance. About a Fireball 3.

I suppose with the way that I buffed it more of the damage is coming from the base, but I think that’s actually a good thing in general because it means if you mis-time the combo and the Slow has worn off, you’re actually getting more damage out of it still.

As I said in my post, I want to be able to tailor it to the specific fight I’m getting into, and not just to the number of mages in a group. I’m perfectly fine with changing up rotations, and would prefer for it not to be the same on every boss. Thanks for trying to make me look lazy though.

That’s why I said “a boss” and not “every boss”. I know what you are saying.

Maybe for players that haven’t gotten the experience of the class can see more out of it but it’s become better to do a standard fireball 2 spam for better damage output and has better distance. Negates the purpose of performing a combo attack.

1 Like

Well, I will take that into consideration for further balancing passes. All I can say right now is that the amount of damage it was doing was way out of line than what was intended. It seems like the general meta was taking into account it hitting every enemy twice which I didn’t realize.

In the future at least this way when we set it at a number, we’ll know what the number really is.

I do agree that the goal should be to get Ice Lance to a place where it makes sense to use it on close-up targets over spamming Fireball 2, so maybe more work needs to be done on removing the delay between casts or something like that.

But it was never intended that a single Ice Lance combo should be doing 1.5x Fireball 3 damage which is what was happening with the bug.

1 Like

Instead of having it be 2 numbers overlapping, just combine the numbers and make it one number. That will help with the guessing and easier to find an optimal rotation use case for ice lance.

1 Like

Yes I will work on that as well, or at least making the numbers offset so they are more visible.

4 Likes

… or damage log… :slight_smile:

An alternating outline of dark blue and light/baby blue!

So that you can see it even when it is night or day time…

We want the numbers! We want the numbers! Give me Math or give me new content!

As far as I can see it, the intended damage for spells should be:

Fireball 2 (x2) < Frostbolt 2 + Ice Lance < Fireball 3 (x1) < Frostbolt 2 (x1) + Ice Lance (x2) < Fireball 3 (x2)

Or did you intend on it being:

Fireball 2 (x2) < Frostbolt 2 + Ice Lance < Frostbolt 2 (x1) + Ice Lance (x2) < Fireball 3 (x1) < Fireball 3 (x2)

Frostbolt 2 can be replaced with 3?

I feel like some people are also forgetting that you can frost multiple targets and ice lance them at the same time which would push the dps of ice lance up on multi-target situations. I think it’s better overall if you don’t have the same rotation for single and multi target fights.

With the new talent system the multi-target goal is to spread dots. Which doesn’t require the targets be lined up allowing you to maintain positioning with the healer.

For those of us artificing, does this mean that the runes generated by ice Lance will change? Before it would generate the frost, frost, M symbol, with a specific delay symbol afterwards due to the animation delay.

2 Likes

Since it still does hit twice at the moment, it should generate frost / M, but likely won’t do frost frost M. It shouldn’t mess up any current artificing tilesets since you can’t put two of the same rune on anyway. The delay is the same but should future adjustment be used to compensate for the lack of damage, tilesets will need adjusting or if the values are combined to show the true damage as a single value.