Server-Side Patch 4.79

Tested Overcharge, the numbers came out as expected. I think the level 20 talents are in a good place, as far as balance goes. I’d like to hear from other Rangers, if any are around to comment.

Hi Riley,

Shared Streak seems to no longer be working. After casting 3 spells, no icon shows up, no buff is applied.

Beta branch!

Just contributing to the problems with ice lance rework, I was with a group today at Tradu Mines. We were working on killing a boss’s adds and normally we could kill the adds before the boss had received it’s buffs. The runemage’s burst was just not there. I’ll pm for more details if you like (dont want to put out spoilers). Before, we used the burst from ice lance to deal with the adds, but since there is no more spell that has nearly as much burst, we just had to use other methods that took much longer.

Can anyone else confirm this? I will look into it but always good to have more data.

I tried to mute someone that threatened to trollport us in highsteppe. I was still able to hear him even after he was muted. I couldn’t see his hands anymore though.
Don’t know if this is a known issue.

Thanks for reporting. We pushed a patch yesterday but looks like it is still broken. We’ll take care of it ASAP.

1 Like

I can also confirm what Iscariot is saying, I’ve been having all kinds of issues with the voice. Issues I’ve run into:

-I have muted myself in game, yet others were still reporting my voice doubling when I was in discord
-I have muted others and could still hear them
-Others have reported that they have disabled voice in game and I could still hear them

The only thing of note that I could figure out about this is that it might tie into the mute control of other players. I had a player muted from the previous day (we were playing together and were in discord) and when we first saw each other the following day we could hear each other, but then suddenly he couldn’t hear me anymore. I checked, and sure enough he was muted. I unmuted him and this didn’t fix it. We both re-logged and the issue was sorted.

Mage damage is really lacking compared to ranger. We had three mages as DPS for Tank Keeper last night, and where we’d maybe get one enrage buff, maybe not, we’d get two or three. I’m really concerned that mages will be left out of shard dungeon teams completely because their damage is so inferior to ranger at the moment.

2 Likes

Just tested this on main and beta branches and it appears to be working correctly. Are you positive you had 3 successful casts in a row? A failed spell cast will reset the counter back to 0.

To expand on this we had a situation where a very experienced group coordinated every detail down to first strike, weakness orb, three mage ults, etc, and still got two enrage buffs. With three rangers (or any mix of ranger/mage before the changes) and a similar level of coordination the tank will generally die before a single enrage buff.

1 Like

Finally, Ranger is OP. Praise Ma’at!

So just to be sure we’re on the same page here, you’e comparing the Mage damage now to the Mage damage from before the Ice Lance fix? And it’s causing you to get an additional two enrage buffs on that mechanic? Just to control for all the variables, this is the same group you were running with before the changes?

If that’s the case, what is your rotation as a mage on that mechanic? Literally just Ice Lance, Ice Lance, Ice Lance?

Or are you just comparing Mage DPS in general to Ranger DPS in general at this point?

Just trying to make sure we’re talking about the same stuff.

You can’t really compare Mages vs Ranger on that mechanic.
Rangers are better at doing more damage in a small amount of time.

Yes, the group I ran with last night was a group that I had previously run with and was able to kill a keeper tank before a single stack.

No, we put quite a bit of effort into trying to come up with a well-coordinated combination. On our best attempt we had the musketeer push the boss past the HP threshold so that all three runemages could have spells prepared for an instant reaction. All three runemages used ults. Our first hit against the tank was a fire 3 from a person with a first strike wand. We used other party buffs available to us such as weakness orb. We had two Affliction specced mages making full use of the fireball/frost dots, and an elemental mage with magic protection shred affliction on the tank (if that even matters, no one has parsed videos of the fight yet). It’s hard to tell if our runes were fully stacked because we have noticed some inconsistencies after the ice lance changes that we haven’t had time to fully explore. We all made sure personal streak was hitting on ice lance. Attempts were made to proc runic diversity on ice lance as well. We did fill the gaps with frosted ice lances.

I can’t say that we found the best possible burst rotations because it takes a lot of time and effort to figure this sort of thing out without combat logs. I can say that our group consisted of players who are pretty knowledgeable about game mechanics and we were not treating the attempts casually.

The post conflated the concepts of runemage dps and runemage dps vs ranger dps and I’m sorry for that. I really just meant to highlight the point that before yesterday it didn’t really seem to matter what three dps professions we brought into a tank keeper fight, the results were pretty consistent: 0 or 1 stack. After yesterday I think I would always bring at least 2 rangers if I have a choice.

1 Like

On an individual solo runemage level, I can also say that pre-nerf, mobs that would take a frostbolt 2 and then 1-2 ice lances to kill (level 20 non-elite non-boss trash mobs), now reliably take frostbolt 2 and 3-4 ice lances to kill, for an effective nerf of over 50%. (I can provide examples as requested)

I completely understand and appreciate the previous ice lance damage rates were not intended, but given that it was such a fundamental component of runemage damage for so long, the impact of this damage reduction cannot be overstated. It affects soloability at all levels, farming capability, PvP viability, group value, boss kill rates, etc.

For the record, I do plan to continue to work on refining less ice-lance-centric spell rotations with the new talent system and new tilesets (as those were affected too it seems), but I don’t have a high level of confidence we will get anywhere close to what was being dished out pre-Ice Lance nerf, which is what all content was balanced against for the last several months.

It’s a little difficult to not be disheartened by the changes.

3 Likes

In-game DPS meters? Clearer damage text that doesn’t overlap? Maybe even the option to output dmg to an output log? Some of this stuff is just speculation, but not necessarily untrue. Obviously the huge 28k burst hits of rangers is pretty good lol.

I feel like some more combos for mage could increase dps and also make rotations a bit more different and fun.

1 Like

Even if you assume the bug was happening 100% of the time (which I’m not sure if it was or not), the nerf would be 33%. Of course that’s not taking into consideration things like the Runetile sets changing and not proccing anymore, which is obviously a problem that will sort itself out with time as people adjust.

Honestly, the Runemage’s play style was never meant to be “everyone Ice Lance all day long.” I may bump it up a little more in the future, but the game was definitely never balanced from our end around the assumption that Ice Lance was doing the kind of damage it was doing prior to this bugfix.

Now that I think about it, this bug may have been affecting the Runemage super as well, since it uses a similar mechanic. So it’s possible that’s actually where at least some of the difference is, as I didn’t intend to reduce that. So I will make some adjustments to that and that will probably help at least on that mechanic.

2 Likes

I think everyone is fine with losing the Ice-Lance-all-day playstyle. It’s just that so much of the game was balanced around where our DPS potential used to be with ice lance, and now none of our other rotations that anyone has come up with comes close to the DPS that we could put out with Ice Lance. So now it feels like our general DPS has just fallen a good ways behind other classes and what a lot of the mechanics were balanced around.

And to make things worse one of the highest possible DPS rotations I think might involve one mage keeping up the 3-stack that is allowed on a boss(while weaving fire and frost spells for the buffs) because it’s easiest for one person to maintain that 5 second magic weakness debuff, and this effectively bans any other mages in the run from even getting to use affliction and takes away a lot of the options/interactions in the talent trees.

That and the DPS loss encourages never taking more than one mage in a party, and the problem will compound even worse down the road for 10-man content.

2 Likes

The runemage ultimate feels really weak vs other classes especially since we only get 1, sometimes 2 ults during a boss fight. With rangers doing 29k hits quicker than we can even generate an ult charge.

2 Likes