Server-Side Patch 4.79

I assume the Ranger 29k hit is coming from a combination of Arrow Sight, Overcharge, and having 5 full globes?

Just to double-check, you mean because another mage casing Affliction on the boss just overwrites the previous Affliction, so essentially it’s not actually adding additional damage? And this with the Affinity tree you’re talking about, not Tormentor?

Yes, that’s correct. I feel like treating it like other DoTs are treated and allowing one affliction per mage is going to work best for overall game mechanics and gameplay in the long run, though I think, unfortunately, affliction will probably need a nerf for that to happen, or maybe dimishing returns over a certain amount of stacks(5 maybe? I’m thinking towards 10-man content here) if you’re afraid of mages ganging up and getting 10 stacks on a mob.

With that change and maybe a buff to the fire DoT since 4 ticks feels awful short, I think we can get a fairly compelling and fun to play DoT type class as opposed to the more direct damage of the other tree.

1 Like

this patch rolled my client back to 4.63 and now i don’t get drops and i can’t access the chest inside my house

Okay, well I will take all of this into consideration for the next balance pass which will happen before Shard Dungeons come out. Again, Ice Lance was never intended to do that much damage, and I guess I wasn’t aware how much the meta had come to rely on that. So we’ll re-run the numbers and make sure it’s all evened out. Some of this may actually have more to do with the talent balancing than anything else (e.g. the Mage talents not keeping up with the Ranger talents or something), it’s just hard to tell because we’re really comparing two different things that both happened at the same time (the new talents came out, and then Ice Lance was changed shortly thereafter).

2 Likes

Are you on Steam or Oculus?

i am on rift the oculus

Okay, the Oculus can be kind of weird with its updating, be sure the game isn’t active and then restart your Oculus client and see if it does an update…if that doesn’t work you may have to uninstall and re-install it. Sorry. We didn’t push anything out any different since like two days ago…

What an outstanding reply, couldn’t ask for more. And so fast too. So nice to know you’re working on a solution. Please message if you’d like any footage of spell casting rotations. Thanks!

(now we can get back to playing this splendid game without worry about shards next week, woot!)

I get 29k crits from Precision, Fast Charge, Multi-shot and Overcharge 5-globe wearing Empowered rings. My runes have worn off before the shot is charged.

Thanks for listening! The 3-stack per mob from anyone limit instead of a 1-stack per person limit probably seems like something silly to complain so hard about, but I think it will end up fairly harmful to the gameplay of mages. It encourages taking choice and options away from other players, or just leaving them behind, because another mage already has the “good rotation.” And then it ends up having a ripple effect on the trees since the Tormentor tree with the DoTs doesn’t even get to cast their main DoT because it’s better spent on one guy keeping the magic debuff up because one single person can multi-stack.

Love that you guys listen and keep tweaking and balancing :smiley: Thanks for everything. Excited to see where things keep evolving to.

EDIT: Quick edit so I don’t double post, just a random idea I had. I’d love to see the Tormentor tree DoTs buffed just a little(like the only 4 fire ticks, makes the rotation awkward if you’re going for 100% DoT uptime). And I think a fun idea for a talent to add an extra DoT to the mix for more of a rotation could be something like your Decurse now applying a Curse DoT to an enemy target if you’re not hitting a friendly with it. Just an idea to toss into the ring.

1 Like

I do not like the 1 stack per person for affliction, I like the stack capped on the mob, it forces you to talk with other mages to maximize your dps so rotations can change. I guess you could cap it at one person and make a talent that allows you to put 2 stacks of affliction on a mob, but in general, I think the mage talents need to be reworked a little bit. The elemental affinity should provide more burst dps and the tormenter should be more consistent dmg over time. The elemental affinity should buff ice lance and maybe either frost and fire dmg, or crit dmg while tormentor would get better longer dots, similar to how it is now. I know this has been mentioned but the DoT’s of frost and burn should be a % of the dmg from the frost and fire spell. Also if you use a higher tier spell, it should have a longer DoT.

1 Like

Riley, if mages have equal DPS then can rangers have equal utility. It got to the point before the talents where no one wanted rangers in groups because many boss fights need the mages slows and decurse and the ranger had close to equal damage but nothing else. I feel for ranger to remain viable it needs to either do more dps than mage or have more arrows to use. We are the only class with no shield and the only class with no stun or slow, if we can’t DPS batter then other classes then the class has no point.

2 Likes

?
I can’t believe that warrior or musket comes anywhere close to such numbers…
Unless the warrior gains at least 10x more damage for the last two levels!? As I’m lvl 18 now and I get like 240 damage per strike and let’s say 750 for the wound combo :thinking:

Rangers have more survivability than mages, since rangers have more health and armor. That is pretty big. Also each party needs at least 1 ranger for hunters mark. I would like to see a talent that buffs hunters mark or something else that can throw a genera buff to the party, like 5% increased crit for hitting 5 shots in a row.

1 Like

I was talking about DPS focused classes/trees, sorry if I was not more specific.

Honestly all of this “no one will bring Mages!” and “No one will bring Rangers!” talk on both sides just makes me roll my eyes. We all know that is not going to happen because both classes have utility already.

I think both classes should have areas where they shine whether we’re talking burst damage, survivability, utility, skill floor/ceiling, etc.

Mages did get a nerf to the damage they were doing, talents aside. It was a necessary need because it was a broken mechanic, and as I said I will be looking at the whole picture to bring things into balance.

But clearly the goal is to make groups want both classes not just one or the other and I don’t really believe we’ve ever been at a point where people refused to take one or the other unless they were very misinformed. And there’s nothing I can do about that.

I will say this is one of the reasons that we are careful about what buffs stack and to what degree, because we do want to encourage group diversity. At the same time the goal there should be for groups to want to take multiple classses because it’s beneficial not because we’re forcing you to, and that’s why we will keep adjusting the balance until we get there.

Anyway, I’m typing all of this on my phone and I really need to go eat dinner, but suffice it to say we will keep iterating game balance as needed to achieve those goals.

4 Likes

Lol, me too. I think it is a funny argument.

Glad you are looking into it.

1 Like

Thanks for all your efforts, even reading these whole epic books of comments posted on forums is likely quite a task :wink: - I don’t think people will sort out this or that class either in groups
Yet it’s funny when you play both classes and look at the dmg I well caught myself thinking omg let’s switch to my ranger and be finally useful for your group… the mages could need a boost for the very fact they are so much harder to learn/play.
As a ranger it’s almost impossible to miss hitting a boss, yea you sweat, but you can do incredible dmg all the time, I love those crits/boosts, they are amazing. As a mage, well if I fail every 2nd or 3rd spell, charge my super slower, miss out on talent boosts, and then also do less dmg on the working spells that is indeed a little frustrating…

2 Likes

It seems to be working now. Thanks for checking. I did reset talents before testing it again so not sure anymore.