Server Side Patch- Triplicity Talent

So I’m not taking sides in this debate one way or another with this question. This is for my curiosity as well as to provide a bit of perspective. This question is for those of you who main mage.

• How would you feel about Triplicity if it had worked like this last update has it working from its inception?

I want you guys to actually stop and think on that. Don’t just respond with a knee jerk reaction based on your current feelings on the subject. So think of when the new talents were announced, and you were able to choose your lvl 30 talent, if this had always been the mechanic in place for this choice, how would you feel.

I wouldn’t ever use either of the lvl 30 talents. If neither of them are worth my time then why should I even bother selecting one of them?

2 Likes

This makes me sick.

1 Like

an increase in damage is a waste of time? a ‘knee jerk reaction’ if ive ever seen one

So I’m going to rephrase what you said just to make sure I’m understanding you. Please correct me if I’m wrong here.

You feel that you would never have taken either talent because in both cases the potential extra damage dealt isn’t worth your time.

By that do you mean that you feel it would lower your DPS to use it? Or do you mean that you just wouldn’t want to fuss with it for the amount of DPS increase it would yield?

welcome to how most other classes feel with multiple of their talents

1 Like

it’s only an increase in damage because the rotation we use now is preparing for triplicity. If we adjust runemage’s normal rotation for the fact that it won’t ever use triplicity, i’m pretty sure right now with these changes the runemage doing an optimal rotation without triplicity will do the same if not better damage than the runemage using a rotation for triplicity.

They might as well have just removed triplicity all together, slower casters who don’t stick VERY close to optimized rotation will see sustained dps LOSS from this change.

3 Likes

so 100% initial spell damage and diminishing returns on your EXTRA spells yields less damage than not using triplicity for ALL mages? lol

yes because we have to use a rotation for triplicity.
Because you use more frosts and you lose afflictions right at the end and you lose weakness right at the end.

If you instead always had tiles up with minimum frosts which in this case 2x less frosts by not doing triplicity, and always had weakness debuff which in this case if you don’t triplicity you can always maintain you’d have better dps doing that.

I’ve achived 50k dps with 2 spells per second OVERSTACKING afflictions, it’d turn into 55k dps or more if optmized for not casting triplicity at all

I’ve achived 54k dps with triplicity with the rotation that was optimized for both normal and triplicity.

Basically after 9 spells, each extra cast (the two extras) deal 4% of the original spell’s damage.

There are two factors f’ing this up with this huge nerve. 1 you are wasting 2 or 3 spells of time doing 0 spells. And two, you are having a different rotation for about 9 to 10 seconds which needs different tilesets. So ya this def is a dps decrease for almost all mages trying to do triplicity. Unless you get real smart tilesets up and cast fast enough, this would not be worth it I think.

But ya, can we have some real life example of mages of different speeds look at if their dps decreases from casting triplicity in between?

Well to be fair here there is a timing aspect that non mages may not be considering. In order to initiate either of the level 30 talents, you have to halt your attack rotation long enough to cast the initialization rune. After which you will be able to use the talent yielding the extra damage. The time it takes you to cast that initialization rune is a loss of DPS as no attack spells are going out during that time. The question is weather or not the additional damage done from the talent outweighs the loss of DPS from starting the talent.

50k dps with incorrect rotation (Because i use this rotation BEFORE a triplicity[its a set up for triplicity]) meaning it can be higher than 50k if corrected to a rotation without using triplicity.

54kish with triplicity my normal rotation.

If i adjust my rotation so that I never cast triplicity, make sure i don’t overstack afflictions for myself and use minimum frosts and use mostly fires I’d achive 55k+ dps with 2 spells per second speed.

I’m a crap mage so I can volunteer for the low end testing. lol

You prob also need to take into consideration of changing tilesets for this new triplicity type.

the tilesets we have for triplicity rn is used so we activate tiles right from triplicity and in the middle so it activates mid triplicity towards the end.
But because of this, it is a dps decrease unless you never were using tiles in the first place.

We can optimize the rotation outside of triplicity (if considering the fact that you won’t ever use it)
You’ll have: less overriding afflictions, 2x the less frosts than in triplicity (because triplicity tiles) and more weakness uptime.

You can optimize the rotation so that you do more damage than if you use triplicity. How is this a good thing at all? It’s more of a bait of trying to use triplicity.

Well this is a nerf, the dps decrease is the point of all this right… the interesting thing is how much it is though, for all groups like average and good mages, not sure if a week is enough to reveal that, though.

So then how would you have approached that if it had been that way from the start? My guess would be you would have tried several different tileset approaches beyond what is the currently accepted one, since it wouldn’t have been efficient based on your explanation). But that is my guess and I really would like to hear your thoughts on it.

If triplicity was like this from the start I’d:

1. find out using a normal rotation is better
  2. Accept that this talent is completely useless (like many other class’s)
  3. Since the other lv 30 talent is useless as well i’d probably only use it to spam fireworks.
2 Likes

So do you feel it’s not possible to determine a tileset/rotation combo that will be able to utilize either of the talents to a positive affect?