Server-Side Update 6.40

I just rolled out some changes to everyone on the server that should greatly improve the efficiency of our network communications with clients. It should also result in much smaller total bandwidth required in places such as cities where there are many players gathered, and should result in a slight CPU usage decrease in overall networking requirements for the game.

In theory this change should “just work” and be transparent to you, but let me know if you notice anything off as you play tonight that is different than usual.

One other note, if people who have in the past had issues with Default networking and are NOT on the Beta could try the Default networking quickly and let me know if this happened to improve the crash issues there, that would be great. Ideally if you know someone who has had the Default networking crash on them really frequently (like every 5 or 10 minutes), just let me know if this happened to change anything about that. Just a piece to the puzzle for us on our end that is very helpful to know. Again, this would only be if you are NOT on the Beta branch.

Thanks!

3 Likes

I just tried switching back to default and I think its been about 10 minutes or so and orbus just crashed…
I am trying it again after re-opening oculus first and see what happens… Just logged in now and my latency is about 2565ms…

Okay, thanks.

I really wish I could get this to happen consistently for me so I don’t have to keep asking you all to test it haha.

If it just seems the same as before that’s totally fine, to some degree that was to be expected, I was just curious.

I may have one more thing I will want those with “Default crashes” to test tomorrow, we’ll see how much time I spend on it tonight.

EDIT: Just to be sure, is 10 minutes about how long it usually takes before it crashes? Or is that longer than it usually goes?

haha, i hear you… it just crashed again…

it feels less glitchy for me as a whole, up until it just takes me back to the oculus home.
Let me know if some logs might help you.

As for your last questions, I see that it has been about 12 minutes now, so 10 minutes sounds about right.

And just to confirm, when you use Websocket (Alternate) no crashes right?

Not generally, no.
Once in a while I will get a crash with a pop up telling me that Orbus crashed and it created a crash log.
I can send that to you if you need it. I had one earlier today…

Just had two (edit: 3 now) hard-crashes while in Lucian. Instant crash to normal SteamVR screen. Saved two logs. Where should I send them? @Riley_D. Haven’t ever experienced this before either.

Edit: Not on beta, but still :stuck_out_tongue:

Just send them to [email protected]

Thanks!

1 Like

So I have finally been able to get this issue (crashing on the Main branch Default) to happen on my local testing computer (a lower-end one I have around, anyway). It seems to be triggered more when there are lots of other players around, so hopefully I can work on tracking down the issue now finally…

1 Like

I have just rolled out update 6.40 on the client-side to Oculus and Steam.

On my test computer, I was able to go 3 hours with no crashes. So if you have had issues in the past with Default crashing, please try that out and let me know how it goes. Thank you! (Again, note that this is the “Main” branch not the “Beta” branch).

EDIT: Well, looks like I spoke too soon, I just got mine to crash. So I ran it for 3 hours today with no crashes when there were only a few people around, but as soon as there are 8-10+ people in the Highsteppe area, I can get it to crash consistently. So it has something to do with that. Sorry for the false hope :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for trying! X

I didn’t remember seeing alot of other people around me when it crashed for me yesterday while in the Lucian Plains… BUT, whatever you did seems to have definitely improved things significantly! It’s possible those people were around and I just didn’t notice…

I have not see a crash today. Only one instance where the screen froze and when I turned my head, the picture followed instead of ‘ajusting’… I gathered that it might of been an Oculus thing, but what do I know lol…
Anyway good job so far, I will stick with the default for now since it gives the game a better experience in my opinion. Thanks for looking into that for all of us.

Oh okay, good to know!

How often was it usually crashing for you before? And you played for how long without it crashing this time?

Before, it would crash within 10-15 minutes in consistently.
Yesterday, I guess I played for about 1.5 hours and was good. It’s rare that I will be in VR for more than that.
I will try it for longer today as soon as I get a chance. I will also make a stop in high step and see what happens…

Okay, good to know. Maybe it helped more than I realized. I am going to probably do another update here in a bit with some other stuff that might help too. We’ll see what happens!

1 Like

For those of you who are interested in being on the cutting-edge of this, there are two new branches in Steam, one called “udpfix” and the other “udpfix2”. “udpfix” is the one that it would be great if you could test first. If for some reason that doesn’t work, give the other a shot.

We’ve heard good feedback from several people that these changes are indeed helping reduce crashes on Default for people who had issues with that before, so give it a shot!

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.