Shaman orb distance

I have noticed that for DPS classes, that Mage has an insane distance it can shoot a spell and hit its target. Ranger and Scoundrel are about the same but shorter than Mage. Shaman is a whole lot shorter than all of them and I am wondering why.
It makes it hard to pull one target out of a crowd and work on it because you have to get so close before you can hit anything. You stand a really big chance of agroing the whole mess.

Can we lowly Shaman get some distance added to our throws?

1 Like

I disagree. Shaman’s low distance is something I would consider to be part of its identity.
Mechanically shamans have a very low skill floor. From early game to late game their play doesn’t really deviate a whole lot from stacking their totems and clicking their grip button.
I think forcing shamans to stand a little closer to enemy mechanics and to need to care about positioning is important to keeping them feeling complex and something you can improve at playing.

Funnily enough shamans used to be incentivised to stand as close as possible to enemies (like literally inside of them) when they used to only get bonus lightnings on hiting crits instead of immediatly on cast. Honestly I kind of miss shaman being the melee dps class noone realized was a melee dps class but I understand why it was changed.

2 Likes

Increasing shaman range would also drastically increase their DPS due to the way lightning orbs work. That would need to be considered first.

2 Likes

I get the point that Shaman may have been developed as a melee dps class. That logic makes no sense to me. Here you have a class that is wearing cloth armor who can kind of throw their wepon some distance. This feels like it is supposed to be some kind of hybrid class. They are not designed to tank but they wind up right next to the enemy because they can’t throw very far and aim is not real good.

So if this is a melee class then why have them in cloth armor?

Because the tanks should be taking the damage not you

Are you throwing the orbs, “bowling” them, or opening/closing your hand to “Iron Man” the orbs? I can get pretty ridiculous distances by throwing the orbs. Like, 30+ meters.

Thowing like over hand? I saw your video and it looked like you were flicking them by just letting go.

I have tried a number of ways to toss them and they all seem to go about the same distance.

Overhand like a baseball throw, ya. If you want to do long distance you gotta yeet those suckers

2 Likes

I’ll give it a go. Hope I don’t knock my wine over AGAIN!!!

They can be thrown very far for sure using overhand as already mentioned. But precision goes out the window haha.

That said, maybe this just requires some practice, much like the accuracy of a paladin throwing their hammer :wink:

(on the same note, you can shoot ridiculously far as a ranger too - but again, the longer, the harder it is to be precise whereas runemages can guide their spells along the way)

I play shaman by pitching the orbs sometimes arched for distance and sometimes like a baseball. It’s not overly inaccurate. LOL, I’m a more accurate shaman than I am a ranger. The orbs go pretty far, I can stand pretty well back and let tanks do their thing while still pitching in the orbs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.