Still Not Liking Golden Egg

I enjoy hotfoot. It’s a good example of a unique and challenging affix that I really like. It makes me have to map new strats to my play style. And I’m glad you’re enjoying Golden Egg. We don’t have ANY problem progressing with it at all. We finish high shards with plenty of time with golden egg, we just simply don’t enjoy it. I’d say the skill level to not have it ruin your shard run is actually lower than most think.

I know I’ve rather over posted here and it’s likely coming across as “old man yells at clouds” at this point. So I can open my mind more, can you please describe some of the fun parts of the mechanic you encounter during your runs? Also, did you run 15’s this week?

1 Like

Have not been on very recently, as my controller has been rather brutally broken (a trade off of being unable to teleport or unable to cast as mage) So i wouldnt even do 15s if i was asked, because it would just be better for someone else to go.

I love the times when we scream when we accidentally drop the egg. Its so fun to play around with, for example if i’m holding the egg and i start melting from it i start off by going ‘k i need someone to take this now’ to screaming ‘SAVE ME’ in such a short period of time.

My best memories of golden egg was the first week it was released, we ran broken halls and the chaos that ensued was fantastic. So i do think it has its own fun for sure, some people may just find it annoying as well, but cant please everyone.

I haven’t run egg since the last patch where they updated it to have audio cues and stuff, so i’m sure its even more convenient than it was then.

The affix requires teamwork and communication, which is great for a high level shard. But yeah, the screaming about the egg is funny af, we try to have fun with it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think golden egg could be a cool mechanic for a specific boss fight. Something you would have to coordinate with your group for 2-4 min during that fight when you do that dungeon. But when it is on every single shard of a certain level for an entire week I think it really takes away from the game play that I enjoy.

There seem to be several people here saying how much their group enjoys golden egg. Yet the only 2 13+ shards that have been done this week have been done by our group. If you all enjoy it why are you avoiding it this week? And would you still enjoy it if you were running these shards back to back for 2-3 hours every night like we often do?

2 Likes

We’re not avoiding it, it’s just a matter of scheduling and hardware issues (Zen’s controller, another member losing a PC fan, etc).

And our ‘group’ is not doing it because:

1. Even though golden egg can be fun for some. It is without a doubt the affix that slows you down the most when not used to it. Because we have done only three 13s ever and nothing higher as a group it would be stupid to lose our few 13s because we can’t handle it yet in time with our current situation (just like Elysium some individual problems). Would we be swimming in 13+ shards that we know we do fast and smooth we would just go for it. But we can’t. Another thing slowing us down which other groups don’t hsve that problem, we want 0 healers to get our high shards in good time. While golden egg requires 1 healer. So slowing us down too much to gamble a high shard we almost never did.
  2. Not everyone in our group likes it. Its a collective decision and when 1 person is na, then we don’t. Doesn’t mean I don’t like it. Never said our group likes it. Just I said I like it.
1 Like

That is exactly our situation. We went to 13 two times so far, mostly due to saved-up 10s before the patch. A 13 is the highlight of the week… or month… if we get there, nearly everyone needs the gear and many hours of down- and upgrades flew into getting it, at times. No way this is gonna be a “practice-shard”. With getting 10s it is a bit different, but the risk is still high being stuck there and start over, lots of times, without getting anywhere.
One of the reasons that progress is so slow is that we are still stuck at temple 7 or so, plus the problem of finding 5 each evening capable to do higher shards, in EU timezone, at all. I wished we had a group practicing all this until the cows come home like abc did in former times, but that’s never gonna happen. Instead there’s constantly guild members leaving once they got bored with that jo-jo of shards or the game overall and the need of training new members until they get there.

And again, fully agree to 2., if one person says it’s not worth it or they hate the activity, then we all don’t, why should we.

PS: The idea of going without healer points to a fundamental flaw of the entire game imo, persisting since the OG. If more than the intended number of dps is necessary to advance in time or in 15, even with high dmg groups, same as using unintended mechanics everyone got used to, same with the need to kite bosses so they can’t onehit you (specially in the raids - it was a common, “usual” tactics in the OG raid and in the Reborn HMs alike), if that is what people rely on then it points to the fact that all this content is tuned up too high imo.

i wasnt going to post in here anymore as to not give this thread thread legs, but since its blown up ill respond to the devs promoted changes, i do like them, it will definately make it easier for less elite group to handle the egg as less accidental passes will happen and there wont be double wipes on dying. i think those proposed changes are an amazing idea and will make the majority of people find it less annoying

1 Like

To add some of my thoughts:
I have done Golden egg in only a handful of shards. I’m not good at it and probably need more practice but it didn’t feel fun as a mechanic. I play Ranger, I enjoy having good aim and a good rotation. Procing tiles every rotation and hitting crit piercing shots is rewarding and fun- Golden egg removes that. I am forced to use only basic arrows when holding the egg, i can still try to hit crit spots but its not the same as seeing the mobs health drop when you get that crit piercing shot.

I really like Krunks idea of making the egg a tool slot. similiar to the scoundrel saving a card, the egg could be attached visibly to your chest so it doesn’t remove the class your playing’s abilities.

Another issue mentioned and is one of the Major problems is the difficulty currently. its so punishing as well as active throughout everything and comparing it to any other affix in a logical sense - the rest are easier so just wait a week to be safer and improve your chances of completing it in time.

So I would like to see:

• Egg is only active in combat (From Kyle’s post that are good changes)

• Egg accidental grabs removed - long range grab isn’t active when someone’s holding the egg (From Kyle’s post that are good changes)

• Egg becomes a Brutal affix (People have complained but if it is balanced right then this won’t be an issue IMO, and thats what we want out of this thread - Golden egg to be a fun challenge) (From Kyle’s post that are good changes)

• Egg shouldn’t be as punishing as it currently is and should be more in line with other Brutal affixes (Astragt’s post covers this well)

• Egg becomes a slot on the player’s belt (Krunk’s idea) -so people can still enjoy playing there class

6 Likes

Guuuuys and girls, I have only one important anouncement
DO NOT PANIC

2 Likes

And we have it again this week for 11+ shards! Please reroll golden egg this week. Not another week of this. God and I was looking forward to loging in tonight…

This. I was playing Musky this past week and I was restricted to only being able to throw out my turret and do some charged shots for interrupts. You can’t grabs orbs at all so the class becomes nearly useless while you are holding the egg. Initially, I thought to drop it shoot an orb and then grab it again, but the increase in damage for each consecutive pick up nixed that idea. Like Scott said, the scoundrel and ranger are in very similar positions, as is the paladin, who is completely unable to use librams. A better solution might be the ability to pocket or ‘holster’ the egg so that class functions aren’t disturbed. Something needs to change for certain. My crew also avoided 13+ shards last week due to the affix. I’d much rather see an affix as a challenge to overcome more than a burden. When it’s not fun, which golden egg is not, it’s a burden and needs to be corrected.

2 Likes

Golden egg again this week on 11+ shards? I was really looking forward to playing ranger this week and not hot potato. Guess I’ll focus on pistol whip this week and hope I can get back to rangering next week if RNG allows it.

4 Likes

Also, not just because of golden egg but to keep things fresh from week to week in general it would be nice if you changed the code such that the same shard affixes can’t appear on back to back weeks.

5 Likes

So with regards to how you hold the egg. I don’t think I want to have the egg auto-hover around a player when you throw it towards them. I can see that being kind of messy and confusing.

But how about while you are holding the egg, you can pull the trigger on that controller, and the egg will anchor to where ever you are currently holding the egg. The hand you anchored it with will still get the vibration and sound feedback as if you are still actually holding it as well. Then when you want to give up the egg, you can grab it and toss it to someone, or someone can grab it directly off of you still. Allowing you to quickly anchor the egg to a spot of your choosing avoids the whole issue of me choosing a predetermined spot that overlaps with people’s motions or class items as well. This whole anchoring thing would count as you holding it the whole time, so you wouldn’t take extra damage by anchoring then grabbing it again shortly after.

How does that sound?

4 Likes

Btw we experienced a bug multiple times that the golden egg is ungrabbable from the ground and wipes the whole party. Very frustrating bug :confused:

(We weren’t sure for a while if it was a mechanic or bug but tried recreating it. We were not able to recreate it. So bug…)

That would make it less obnoxious yes. I’m just not sure it’s a fun mechanic to deal with for hours at a time. Like Landru said, it’d be better if it was a mechanic you dealt with for a few min during a specific encounter. Any chance of that reroll this week while you figure this out? Would like to play this week.

2 Likes

Ya, had that happen too. Also had it explode in my hand. Couldn’t recreate it either.

That sounds much better than what it is currently. I would just like to note that the long range grab should be disabled for yourself once its anchored. I accidentally grab the egg from hand to hand currently and even drop it by accident because of this.

P.S. The proposed changes all sound great and well thought out Kyle, Thank you!

Just want to remind, I’ve really tried to like this affix. It was me who asked for the color changes, vibrations, Etc. I figured it was the lack of feedback from the egg that was making us really dislike it. But that simply was not the case after it was updated.

We just did our 14 temple this week and golden egg accounted for exactly 1 wipe. A stray bolt hit a dps then the egg carrier died to the damage tick right after shared pain proc’d. Otherwise we didn’t have any issue with it passing it between 2 dps with some light healing.

I think that if that is possible that would be a really great addition when it comes to letting all classes hold the orb and still use abilities. I do think that the timing between when you need to pass it might need to be monitored if this does get implemented. I do very much enjoy golden egg and am very happy it is getting looked at. So thank you very much for keeping our feedback in mind.

3 Likes