Tax: let's talk about it

Can we talk about tax? Why is there a substantial tax for both parties involved in an auction transaction? I can give you one side - maybe, but both? In a real life capitalist society I can see the money potentially going to a good cause, but in VR? Come on guys… that’s too meta.

It’s simply a dram sink. There’s a LOT of ways to get a LOT of dram, and that’s just one way of making some of it disappear.

Its necessary but not enough. Due to how easy dram is to get it is vital there are dram sinks. Without dram sinks dram will be worthless due to little removal of dram that is generated, not circulated. In any mmo where there is no way the game removes the currency from the economy the currency then becomes so worthless that everyone has so much and as such if you would want to buy anything you would have to use a different currency for example glimmerings.

There definitely needs to be more dram sink to keep item price from surging due to the inflation the ease of getting dram.

2 Likes

It’s the ONLY dram sink of that nature. I’ll give you one side - but both? It’s the only instance of tax. Stalls don’t have it do they? Selling on the street - no tax. Purchasing from NPC’s - no tax. I’m not complaining, it’s just weird.

p.s. - I’m complaining a little, because I spent 25k on tax, just so I could transfer items between characters when I had no trusted friends online.

Buying market stalls is a dram sink from what I understand. Correct me if I’m wrong but market stalls are not sold by players but rather by the server and the highest bidder wins. This in turn means that If a player stall goes for millions that dram is gone. Although I’m not sure if that’s correct. Can someone confirm? On top of that buying from npcs has been and always will be a dram sink.

1 Like

Ya, stalls routinely go for 500k+. All that dram disappears.

I am not sure why anyone would think that taxes would combat inflation… in reality they have the opposite effect and I think the same would hold true in the game… I don’t think inflation is a bad thing in a live economy tho. You just have to be aware of it and use it to your advantage.

I would like to see the game offer some more expensive items… I’d pay 500k for C3P0 gold dye or 2 million for some cool sunglasses… that would give those of us with lots and lots of dram a reason to drop it and then refill our coffers, which would stimulate competition and spread the wealth out further…

10 or so items with multi-million dram price tags to chase would keep me busy for months…

The reason they do in games but not real life is because in games the money is straight up deleted; it does not exist anymore and therefore makes in game currency more valuable. In contrast taxes don’t delete money in real life and that money only changes hands thus doing very little to nothing for inflation.

NPC vendors, repairing armor, and taxes are a few ways this game has for taking money out of the economy and not just having it trade hands. There is not enough dram sink considering you basically get 500 dram for waking up and another 500 for putting on clothes. You get dram way faster than it gets deleted. Dram sink right now is serving to slow it. Considering how bombs are thrown and how expensive they are it definitely helps.

I don’t think that makes sense.

The idea of deleting money making the currency more valuable would surely be true if the monetary supply was finite… but it isn’t, it is infinite. It literally creates itself… Also the amount a player can hold is finite and rather limited which means your funds either have to be invested or stagnate, which boosts the value of commodities which reduces the buying power of dram…and promotes a need for market participation.

I am all for inflation in simple infinite economies because eventually the value of player 2 player trades nullifies the penalty of tax or repairing armor or buying dragon treats or dye or other consumable items. Also because it makes it easier from brand new players to get started.

If the cash vault was able to hold a much larger amount I might agree that a problem existed… but you can’t hold that much dram so the only way to stack savings is with rare or popular items … and the more of those people stack the less they will be worth…

I am not sure where the problem is?

Isn’t buying and feeding your pet treats a dram sink? As is dragon needing will all the special treats needed.

Litterally a video on this… Orbus like you said does not have as big of a problem with it as desktop mmos where to buy a mid level item you need like 15 trillion of the in game currency.

If there are no dram sinks you will get hyperinflation. Its not about making a currency more valuable but making sure it does not become worthless.

2 Likes

Right on and thanks for answering.

I understand where you are coming from. I just don’t think this game needs more dram taxes. Most of the trade is player to player and the items that do have fixed prices are not generally very essential.

Combine those things with the relatively low dram cap and I don’t see how weaker currency would cause problems.

The loss and benefit of inflation both apply to any player who buys things and sells things… I don’t mind if the numbers scale a bit and make it easier to buy bombs and dram mounts and stuff… I really don’t see a downside…

If some sinks are needed I would prefer to see them in the form of more expensive Odds N Ends shop items.

My network blocks YouTube twitter and facebook so I can’t see the video, but I understand totally.

I am a veteran GW player. I started in the World Beta Preview Event when I was 11 years old and I still play it often today. I witnessed the total transformational effect of hyperinflation play out over the course of a decade…more than a decade even…and I gotta say… there are as many benefits as drawbacks IMO.

TY for the info tho and good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.