The Cub Club is about to go live

Goodmorning!
I am putting together a family friendly discord called the cub club.
The game is not made for kids but I play with my girls and we have run into other kids. My plans are to have a group where kids can chat safely with other kids in game. I would (And eventually maybe other trusted parents/adults) be a kind of built in Nanny when the group is live. We disable in game chat and turn in game voice all the way down. I can also stream so that parents can watch their kids play.
This still is not completely without risk but I think we could make it pretty safe. Would anyone be interested?

Edit to add:
This is the discord. I have a room page called friends of the cubs as a public page.

10 Likes

What age range were you thinking? Very nice idea, btw

2 Likes

That’s some sweet idea!

1 Like

I love the idea, and threw a like your way as well. However, the only concern i have is the safety of the kids, since among many other things their sensory apparatus aren’t fully developed yet.

There are several articles on this, however, since VR is a relatively new phenomenom to become “mainstream” enough to reach the lower ages, there simply isn’t enough data out there. You can read some of the articles below (and ofcourse google up countless others):

That being said, with proper monitoring and short playsessions it is most likely harmless. But as with many new things we simply do not know yet.

2 Likes

My baby is 3 and my oldest is 10 so I’m pretty comfortable with just about any age. If the group gets big we can split up age groups if the parents think that would be better?
And thank you!

This is a very real concern.
I personally am ok with my kids playing for about an hour every couple of days. My oldest daughter is autistic so I luckily have access to an occupational therapist, a child psychiatrist, and a speech therapist. All of whom say it can actually be a good thing for her as long as we dont let her get lost in it.
It is not something that parents should take lightly though and the playtime with me will not be longer than about an hour at a time.

Think this might be a nice plan you got there, seen a few kids running around, been helping some of them that seemed lost.

Fortunatly i still have not encounterd any ”way to young” without supervision (could hear the parent :joy:)

Personally im training my own with normal screens and Warframe when with me, Roblox or minecraft on their own (in my computer room).

Allthou, if you are supervising, let them talk with people too, teach them to weed ppl out.

1 Like

lolll i love it! Our guys love Roblox and Minecraft. We played League, rocket league and wow with them to.

I think it would be fun to have them able to interact with the whole comunity as well but the protection is not only for the kids. Because the game is made for adults I don’t want the players to have to worry about watching what they say. There are adult jokes and cussing ect in game and it’s ok because it’s made for grown ups. I don’t want the group to make people uncomfortable

True about cussing, hence my kids learned ”Do what I say and not what I do” :joy:

The rest thou, we can’t protect them, only equip them for battle.

And have discussions of what they hear or think they hear… and keep the threat of ” no pc for you in 10years if I hear you say that” :+1:

Gaming world lingo is far cleaner than school, so you can consider it as a mini-tutorial of real life. :thinking:

Think Orbus is too cute to be considered an ”adult” game, but thats just my opinion :yum:

Anyway, good luck with project, and if you make a Cub Club fellowship I keep an helping hand out.
Same in-game name, and my minions…I meen fellowship is ”Hollows”

I work at a daycare (well, an after-school would be the correct term i guess, ages 6-10). Just wanted to say that Minecraft is here to stay. It’s been the number one preferred game at my workplace ever since the first webbased version.

This also goes for the now (sadly) discontinued Pixelmon, which is a Minecraft mod with Pokemon. Sadly, the Greedymon company decided that they should stop doing their thing a while back. However, it still runs, so if you can google yourself to a working Pixelmon launcher, your kids can still play this amazing minecraft mod.

So, if you as a parent haven’t bought a minecraft account yet, do so. An account for you and one for (each of) your kid(s) so that you can play together (duplicate accounts kick eachother out in LAN games on PC). Most of “my” kids always play creative mode. Only the most “daring” go at it in survival :wink:

2 Likes

I would suggest against streaming it. Usually schools ask for permission from the guardians for public pictures. I’m not entirely sure the clauses for speech but I’m guessing if you wanted to stream you should go through something similar. I’m not sure if there is private streaming either o.O

But I could pop in the discord. As long as they are curious and willing to become good I’m game.

1 Like

Lol OMG our oldest went through a “dude what the fuck” phase. She did not speak until she was 4 . Than she started with picking up phrases and using them to fit the situation. IE She wanted something that she could not reach she would say “It to heavy.” She picked up dude what the fuck as her upset reaction. If we told her “Court we don’t say that.” She would stop saying “that”. So we had to tell her “Court we don’t say Dude what the fuck”. She started correcting herself. She would say it than sigh and say “Court we don’t say Dude what the fuck”
Luckily at the time she was in a self-contained class with only 3 other kids and her teacher was amazing. Lol Teacher did not care that she was cussing she was excited because “she’s using it appropriately”.
So we have to be careful with her. Once she picks up a phrase it sticks and it’s hard to get rid of.

1 Like

Yes I agree. This is one of the things that I will have to talk to the parents about. I have the basic server set up but there will be alot of figuring out what we are comfortable with going on lol.

I like the idea, because I often feel kids are a bit lost in games, specially in VR. As for health concerns, as others stated, likely they should not be on too long in a row and well, if they are too young the game doesn’t make much sense anyway, i’d start with normal games if they like to play, then it’s also way easier to find your way around in VR later.
Also there is a restriction for Orbus saying 12y+, in my country, which is actually even legally binding. Tho I do think most parents know their kids best and can watch and judge themselves, some are not able to handle games, brutal movies and so on which are already “allowed” for them, others can handle them earlier.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.