The role and purpose of a Ranger

We need one mage to decurse and one mage to get adds. Rangers could get adds, but not nearly as well as mages can due to the ability to curve spells around the boss, and on moving targets.

Now if rangers had a decurse arrow that would open up group composition a little. But for the most challenging shards, we’d still prefer to bring mages for AOE, Mana Shields, and etc.

And another thing, rangers are expensive! They need both Intellect and Strength potions, whereas mages only need Int (and Empowered Strikesof course).

I have no problem at all doing adds as a ranger

1 Like

Sure rangers can DPS adds, but can they as quickly as a mage can? Is ranger single target DPS better than a mages? No and no.

1 Like

Fern has clearly forgotten about our superior Ranger ability called Multishot! Allowing us Rangers to take out up to 5 Adds in a single shot!

3 Likes

Yeah, we wanted skill base attacks for ranger, here it is ! Align 5 mobs so you can use multi-shot effectively :joy:

3 Likes

Allow pierce arrow to pierce.
Add a third utility arrow slot.
Buff charged shot to 8-10%.
Give splash DoT to the poison arrow.
Add a 2-3 sec stun or freeze arrow.
Fix trap to hold mob for 2-sec (dmg doesn’t break trap.)
Allow poison to stack.

And what about having a 3-5% buff to shots taken while staying in the same place… time in one place builds up % (bonus for not moving) a kind of ‘‘stand your ground buff’’ idk lol

7 Likes

Rangers should have a bigger one shot kill potential. However I’m guessing the adds in squiddie are spawning more quicker than charged arrow can get ready in rotation?

Another option is an explosion arrow. An arrow that does a blast of damage based on where it hit. The fire arrow does DoT so these are two different mechanisms. If now only they could somehow work in an awesome way together.

I also have a question. Was this issue of Ranger and Runemages ever brought up before the mages spreading DoT skill? If so then that means that Runemages got an incredible buff due to the talents. Meaning either it should be nerfed or Rangers should get one that is adequate.

It’s not so much as a buff to mage damage, but change of content; trash packs matter now to complete shards on time, making the mage AOE potential extremely effecient and desirable. Shards also often need multiple mages for the fastest and most reliable strategies on boss fights. Mages bring utility, AOE DPS, excellent single target DPS, and synergy with other mages. Rangers bring slightly more survivability, excellent single target DPS, and 5% damage boost from Hunter’s Mark. If I could always choose, as things are today, I’d take three mages (which really sucks because I love raiding with my ranger guildies and don’t want to leave them out).

Shhh @Fern, I was trying to convince the devs to add better Ranger Talents :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Okay so what if we take out Arrow sight, and replace it with Globe Master but keep the 10% damage boost. And then! for the 20 skill talent rangers unlock a third arrow slot?

And for the second talent tree, how about adding an improved damage to the target system, 15%+?

1 Like

I think the real problem here isn’t just balance (i.e. ranger vs mage for dps class)…but its a wider problem of playing an mmo with an extremely simple class system.

rangers don’t feel very ranger-y in orbus. they are just a general dps class that uses bow. tracking? animal charms? foraging? animal skinning? As it is currently they really feel like more an “archer” class to me than “ranger”.

Correct. The ranger needs more synergy in a group … more purpose. Not a replacement for any other class but a balanced other option, or a helping addition. Right now its just a straight dps and a mage is that and more.

1 Like

Would not ranger utillity be enough with current dps but say 1/2 of threat generation and maybe a extra skill will where all threat they do for X-sec’s goes to warrior (if one present)

That way they could start earlier/continue dmg while mages need to think on bursts of dps(?) or are things dying as quick on high lvls as they do on low?

Being completely new here and not knowing much in general, i was a little hesitant to post this but… Having read through the thread and played each class (albeit very little) i think the mage bias problem may be of a different nature. Namely that mage is the only class not having direct limits on their ability arsenal.

• Warriors have a limit having to pick a shield size for more/less damage/tankability. However, they have no competing class for tanking and will thus always be desirable.

• Musketeers have a limit having to pick which 4 orbs to load up. However, they have no competition on healing (unless i’ve missed something) and will thus always be desirable.

• Rangers have a limit having to pick which 2 arrows to load up. Their arsenal is almost solely focused around (single target) dps. However, they compete for this slot with runemages.

• Runemages have no limit on their loadout. Everything in a runemages arsenal is at their fingertips providing they can draw their runes precisely and efficiently enough. Besides dps runemages also has a considerable arsenal of utility.

In short, if rangers are currently undesirable in endgame content, it seems to me it has it root much deeper than just needing to buff ranger dps/utility. Instead it is a base mechanic issue.

5 Likes

That’s the thing… warriors have no equal, muskets have no equal and have 4 orb options, and mages are only limited to the skill of the player and they have support spells. This makes the ranger the most limited class and the most difficult to utilize in a group when you have the option of a mage or a ranger, why take the ranger of the mage is better overall?

I just think the ranger class needs some love and especially in the support/aid to make it a viable option when in endgame.

2 Likes

Having a ranger do AoE’s is also a questionable move now that I think of it. For mages pulling off the combo takes a bit of skill, especially if you do it Jerbear style. A ranger with a comparable AoE might be the less risky option even if not the best damage wise.

I think the best option is ‘the ranger needs more synergy in a group’.

Birdyz just suggested Hunter’s Mark as an AOE which is interesting.

We’re also thinking single target DPS of a ranger is lower than mage. :confused:

I was thinking of weird extremes like a ‘lighting’ arrow that spread debuffs and did slight damage to targets, but with a lower chance than mages DoT spread.

Or other possible debuffs that would be unique to a ranger but useful in AoE situations.

Keep a bow with first strike and one ranger (Rickety Rickety Rickness) can handle the adds.

The last fight we made for Rangers was for the ultimate to charge a bit faster when they nerfed it. And the one before was to change the trap so it wouldn’t release on damages (we got a smaller cooldown and bigger radius if I remember correctly)

But yeah when we argued for the trap all the arguments of having only 2 arrows playable and 1 item who’s not very useful except for leveling alone was brought up by me shiki and kamina.

So I am very happy with this argument right now. And I would like to try and add another fix suggestion to the list :
A trap that wouldn’t release on damage and that can trap a full group of non-elite mobs.

That would add some group synergy and could even be used with the AoE Hunter’s mark suggested above to create a nice combo that the ranger can pull off on mobs fights.

I wouldn’t like the trap to keep mobs when damaged. But if the trap also released this and hurt the mobs around them over time. Now if one could poison them <.<