The Trials and Tribulations of a Melee Warrior

So, This is definitely going to be a long post and I apologize for the length. First I would like to start out with the lore, I love the direction the game has been going with the god’s of chaos and having a sort of Lovecraftian approach with the eldritch and the order dabbling in forbidden power. It is absolutely awesome and each boss in the raid has been a blast so far to work through. I would love to see the different bosses, whether they be in dungeons or the new raid, get more lore imprecation on how they fit into the world of Orbus. My first question when I walked into a boss room or met a boss was “Sweet man, so what’s the deal with this one.?” The bosses have so many different ways of affecting the world and how they came to be in contact with the chaos gods or over population of the local lizard population and going to cull it back a bit or having people go missing and finding out that the lizard people worship the plant boss and they are offering sacrifices to it. (looking at you jungle) Even if it is just journal pages. (which are awesome reads) I would love to know more about the world that is being built and how it all fits together. Secondly, I do main a warrior. However, I am absolutely 100% determined to only play DPS using the talents provided. To me, a large shield just doesn’t exist. and I will only pull it out if absolutely necessary. and so far I’ve done perfectly fine without it. I’ve managed to make melee dps work in a few scenarios that you might be surprised (looking at you raid boss 1 and most dungeons.) That being said, some bosses a LOT of mechanics, having a warrior that doesn’t tank in a party make me feel like a liability at times. Granted, PVP, I could and do, all day. the warrior mechanics against players works wonders especially with the low cd on charge and it not costing stamina. catching someone off guard as a warrior is the quickest way to easy kills in the wilds. I just wish it could be as fluid in PVE scenarios. One example where the entire dungeon is against you would be tradu labs. mist keeper with the orbs or stunning sentry out of his fixate and his pattern becoming unstable. (literally 2 stuns in a row and some hilarious stuff starts happening with his fixate. Try it. But, be warned you will wipe.) It would be super cool if instead of the horn for Warriors wanting to go dps we could get like a dagger instead to deal with ranged mechanics. It could work exactly as the musketeer’s basic attack in that you could pick it up like a horn and fire it with the second trigger. It could even be useful for tanks as it would give them a ranged pull mechanic instead of having to horn off dps after a pull. But for now i’ll just focus on the DPS side of the house since that is what I am familiar with. the numbers aren’t great but speed and consistency with the wound combo go a long way. and even though you don’t do as much damage as the ranger or mage you do have something that can beat them out with. Survivability. As wearing plate armor does inherently give you more armor, it allows you to be liberal with making some mistakes without saying hello to your ghost class. However, taking any sort of damage, especially in melee, is almost fatal from a social standpoint with how the healing mechanics work with the musketeer and the turret smart healing you over the tanks and hearing nothing but yelling over discord. (good times) With how groups have been running some bosses. Most tanks just soak AoE damage which puts a lot of stress on the healers to perform. add another person to potentially be hit by an AoE and you’ve already got a mix for a bad time. I’ll say this right now, I don’t plan on stopping my ways of melee dps. I’ll keep finding my way to make it work. I didn’t start collecting shard gear and raid tokens to just give up. I love the class too much to think off anything else I would want to play. I just wish it could be a little more melee friendly. Just a little. Also, I’ve definitely seen a lot of the opposition to melee being the fact that we body block shots from ranged and while I do agree that it does add skill to a game that so far for me has been very immersive in design, If we are to have a more melee friendly environment I think that as long as a player isn’t flagged for pvp in anyway, (safety off, wilds, ect.) our ability to block projectiles shouldn’t be enabled. the more people want to try melee dps, the more they get alienated from the community at endgame for one reason or another and that makes me really sad. I love this world that is being built and I feel like the RP opportunities are through the roof. but being told that the moment I pick up a blade I am supposed to do one thing and that is it. or when I pick up a musket that i’m basically a vanilla priest. Makes me sad. I want to see this game flourish. I want to see these classes and their different mechanics explored in full. You already have the start of a good pet class in the musketeer for DPS it just needs a few tweaks and it is there. no question about it. especially at single target with total recall and it doesn’t suffer the same fate with being melee so it can perform all mechanics. Unfortunately until then, I must pick up the scraps where I can and make my home in the wilds, because even when the run is successful, “it would have been a lot easier with another ranged.” If you made it this far. thank you for reading. I appreciate your patience with my rambling.

2 Likes

How good are you at keeping aggro? Do the groups you run with have run two tanks? Do you have shield bash ability to do more damage? Also do you have provoke heal, for the musky problem you mentioned?

Or do you have most talents on the right side? Would be curious if you have a rotation of wound, wound, provoke or something like that. Also do you have rune tile sets? Wonder how much damage they may add and if I, or someone in my guild, can come up with any better sets for damage?

Have you ever tried running a group without a musketeer but two tanks? Hm…
Also if I may ask who do you run content with? Or your discord name?

I have definitely though about running provoke heal since the bleed is very small from what I have seen. I do have the shield bash ability for more damage as the wound crits from the rush ability make for great compounding of damage. Since I don’t actually tank i’m not sure how my agrro generation would stack up. I would consider myself more of an off tank that is dedicated damage that can take a few tank busters should things start to go south. my rotation usually is wound with managing cd’s charging whenever off cd (unless needed for AoE) for increased crit chance, shield slam off cd (With trying to line it up with rush for most dps possible) and blessing of might when available and as part of the opener. blessing into shield charge (shield in front of you while charging for instant shield slam) into proccing wound tilesets with the second shortest delay. (gotta find the hitbox sometimes) I’m not really part of a fellowship so I’ve been pugging content. Venthren#3432 discord

Interesting read although i must admit that i had to cursor highlight many times while reading since you have no paragraphs in there. And you touch upon something interesting that has been talked about a little in other threads, namely:

• character spec and roles
  • more spec and class diversity
  • limitations in the current system

Hats off to you sticking it out and representing those who actually really want to be “proper” warrior dps or would rather play an assasin type. And i do hope the developers read it as well, as i think there are many like you out there. Especially before the devs lock themselves in too much in game mechanics, which over time will make it harder and harder to add the above.

1 Like

Personal theory is that warrior will only be allowed to be tank or off-tank, this is based upon a rumor floating around that a second melee class might surface in future, dont take that as more then rumor thou.

That doesn’t make sense, because the whole right side makes the dps stack up to a mage or archer of equal skill. It’s clear that the output is there for dps as a warrior but the design of the game as a whole doesn’t support melee dps. Why give the warrior talent choices if every choice has a clear option.

1 Like

That doesn’t make sense, because the whole right side makes the dps stack up to a mage or archer of equal skill. It’s clear that the output is there for dps as a warrior but the design of the game as a whole doesn’t support melee dps. Why give the warrior talent choices if every choice has a clear option.

This right here. It isn’t that the damage isn’t viable, it certainly is. But the game is so melee unfriendly that I would be afraid if the rumors are true about the second melee class because where it stands now, there are a lot of mechanics that would need redesign from the ground up to make the class even remotely appealing in end game content. it would end up in the same situation I find myself in now trying to make it as a warrior DPS.

Even further, the dps warrior has a foundation, it’s built and just would need to be tweeked, it’s perfect to use as a test to figure out what needs to be done before they start putting tons of work into a brand new class. There has been so much focus on changing and tweaking ranged classes, and those classes are amazing and have options (even muskies can dps effectively if they spec correctly and load the right orbs) having classes that are not used the way we use them currently gives us new ways to stratagize end game content.

If we pretend rumors are true, i see it like this:

Melee dps should naturally be highest dps due to being closest, could be a warrior clone but no shield or tank talents.

Warriors who prefer to dps need to accept an potential off-tanking role if needed, you have shield, armor and hp even if not specced for it,(as I understand it. only if a second melee class emerge)

But remember, rumors are rarely true, just brought some food for thought.

2 Likes

Absolutely, and I wholeheartedly agree on the off tanking role. One thing I’ve been thinking about as well being in sacrificing survivability for damage is possibly dropping vitality for some gear on warriors in favor of increased strength and intellect. Consider it a third set of gear for the 2 already needed (physical/magical defense) however the purpose of this set is very straightforward and for the most part should only be used by tanks that are on farm content or warriors who strictly dps. Even then, the shield has only one purpose for the most part. (shield slam for increased damage from basics and wound combo) after that you can literally put it away and countdown the timer for stun to bust it out again and is a very fluent motion when doing it on the up swing of the wound combo. The horn is there for decoration. I would really love for a way to deal with ranged mechanics. (which there are a lot of) I’m just hoping that my experience with it at the endgame is enough to spark conversation and true interest in getting the game where it needs to be in order for every class to flourish in it’s full might. Melee dps shouldn’t be frowned upon just because the core design makes it unfavorable is most situations. It should be welcomed for the experimentation and the valuable feedback it provides by forcing a different view on how the mechanics function for dungeons and raids. Should the rumors be true , i Wouldn’t want to new classes to fall into the same pit not being able to perform basic mechanics because of the limitations imposed to them. Because it will turn many new players away if they love a class but can’t enjoy it to it’s fullest because of how mechanics are designed.

Wait really? This what? I haven’t really tried it but I’m skeptical of this.

I don’t think the current melee class should do as much damage as a Ranger or Runemage, this is in the perspective that the current melee class have more armor and hp (I also think that Runemages should have a bit more utility than Rangers for this same reason).

I was thinking of adding armor that had increases to damage somehow but decreased armor and hp.

Or a cursed blade that had negative side effects but with enough damage.

Something that could be added for the warrior class would be a Sunder armour combo which would only be possible with a small shield, Allowing it to stack up several times benefiting the whole group or also make it more beneficial by letting the warrior get more of a damage increase from there Sunders then other classes helping pad the damage for warriors. (Currently which is laughably low)

Another thing that bugs me is how armour doesn’t give any offensive/healing stats, A mage using some fine ancient robes that doesn’t benefit him offensively? What’s up with that?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.